Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I look at winter. I look at even this crazy nonsense that is Calgary winter (where it was -20 on Monday, +7 on Thursday, and -15 with 20cm snow this morning).

I look at my friend's collection of creepycrawlies he got when he lived down in the State With No Snow.

I *likes* me some winter.

I could do with it ending some time before May, mind you.

Comment

We're getting more rain and snow tonight and tomorrow.

I love winter. I really do.

But I'm sick of not being able to drive my car because there aren't enough dug-out parking spots in my neighbourhood, and all my neighbours dig out one spot in front of their house, leaving just enough room for their car, and no one else's.

Stoopitneighbours.

Comment

Getting thundersnow booms right now... If the power stays on...
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
          Close but not quite. I want Arizona or Nevada.
          no you dont despite popular believe we are just dry not alway hot, it usually gets below 70 all winter ore often around 50-60.

i owuld say you want someplace more tropical

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
            Yeah, but everbody knows Finns are crazy. (one set of great grandparents was from Finland ) Skin-blistering? The closest I've ever had to blistered skin was the day I spent 8 hours in a tiny bikini and no sun screen. ^-.-^
            That was hyperbole. Really, though, I do notice a difference between there and here. It gets hot here, but the sun doesn't hit my skin the way it did in soCal. I don't know how to explain it, but in CA it's like you can literally feel the radiation giving you skin cancer.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
              It gets hot here, but the sun doesn't hit my skin the way it did in soCal. I don't know how to explain it, but in CA it's like you can literally feel the radiation giving you skin cancer.
              If you're further north, then it didn't hit your skin the same way, It had to go through a lot more atmosphere during the summer months. During the winter, you get more solar radiation than further south, but you get more cloud cover to block it, and are generally wearing a crap ton more clothing.

I'm coastal, so I don't get as dry as more inland, but it's still dry enough that I don't feel like I'm simmering in a puddle of my own sweat in the summer like the one summer I spent back east. *blech*

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                Gyeh... I hate the Son of the Snowpocalypse that we got here last week.

I left work at 4pm, one hour early. My commute normally takes about 30 minutes depending on the traffic. I got home at 1:15am. Hardly the worst commute anybody suffered in our area last week.
                There were stories in the papers of 12-13 hour commutes and people who ended up crashing with friends/co-workers, every hotel was filled when the airports shut down. But the worst were stories of people either running out of gas or simply abandoning their cars. I heard Fairfax County towed over 400 abandoned/stuck cars, Loudoun had over 300. Every police jurisdiction said the same thing, they'd never seen anything like this before!

I left my office @ 4pm for a normal half-hour commute, in that half hour I got a little more than half a mile. Turned around and went back to the office, tried to sleep in a chair with no luck. Finally around 10pm I decided to go for it. Dumest decision this year. Roads were nothing more than hard-packed snow with snow drifts everywhere. I have _never_ seen so many stuck vehicles before and almost every ramp was blocked with a spun-out vehicle.

One of my co-workers left @ 3pm, got to his home in WV @ 1:45am! He's diabetic and was almost in shock as well as out of gas.

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
                  One of my co-workers left @ 3pm, got to his home in WV @ 1:45am! He's diabetic and was almost in shock as well as out of gas.
                  A diabetic in snow country has no business not having emergency sugar on hand at all times. Hell, even in more temperate climates - it's not like the condition can't be anticipated.

But every new post just reinforces my decision to never live any place it snows enough to actually cover the ground. I'm not even sure I want to visit, much.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                  X