Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was in the stands at a high school football game (the only one I went to) when some kids six feet away got bombed by seagull shatzenschplatter.
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
      Water-loving bird heaven >_< Just tell it to the ducks and geese who live on the banks of the canals ...
      We get a lot of them wintering here in the bosque. All kinds of ducks, all kinds of geese, sandhill cranes....

And they're why I think the cold weather is really on the way out. I've heard a lot of honking going overhead the last few days.

Quoth mikoyan29 View Post
      I'm probably in the minority here but I like them. I like the color of their plummage.
      The plummage don't enter into it!
      It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
        Though what the heck they're doing here as we're sixty miles from the beach, I have no idea...
        They come inland during the winter, and then go back to the beaches when the weather warms up again.

I'm probably in the minority here but I like them.
        I used to love feeding them, but I think most of the beaches don't allow it anymore. I made sure to do it away from other people who might not want them around, and it was fun getting them to eat out of my hand.

It would be nice if they'd designate some feeding areas for those of us who enjoyed doing so. Ever since they outlawed it, they seem to be a lot more aggressive. Last time I tried to enjoy a slice of pizza out on the boardwalk, I ended up regretting it, just like the guy with the funnel cake who got dive-bombed.
        Sometimes life is altered.
        Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
        Uneasy with confrontation.
        Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
          Must just be your area. My city used to shoot seagulls. We have a marina on the lake where a lot of hoity-toity FIBs keep their yachts, and they weren't too thrilled about the damn seagulls pooping on their boats all the time.

It took a little while to get the permits through though. The sticking point wasn't any protection of the seagulls, but rather another bird that hung around with the seagulls that was protected.

Not here they ain't, unless they like to eat dead alewives, which die off in great numbers and wash up on and stink up the beaches. You couldn't stand to be on the beach with them around.
          You're in the states, right...? At least here, they're federally protected - Meaning over the whole country.

I also found out that they're the only bird you can eat raw, due to lack of parasites and disease... Not that I'd eat even a cooked gull
          Look, a signature!

If every cashier in the world went on strike, retail would come to a screeching halt, even if for a couple hours.

Comment

Oh, come on now.

Mine, mine, mine, mine, mine, mine. mine. mine.
            Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

When I last went to Cornwall, everywhere there were signs asking people not to feed the seagulls. Apparently having learned to expect food from humans, they then get aggressive when food isn't forthcoming and try to take it by force. (It seems that a 4 yr old boy was hurt when a gull tried to snatch his ice cream, the boy naturally refused to surrender it and the gull had a go at his hand)
              Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Quoth Kristev View Post
                Oh, come on now.

arrrrgh it's in my head now!
                here you go !

Comment

Quoth Kristev View Post
                  Oh, come on now.

The most hilarious line in Finding Nemo was when the gull simply said. "Mine."

I could not stop laughing.

Comment

side note... hmmm i do have an aunt who.. .i don't know what kind of bird it was but... she was sun bathing with her mouth open...

yeah, i don't think i need to say what happened next.

Comment

A friend of mine was sunbathing at the beach when a gull dropped a starfish leg on her back.

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                        I used to love feeding them, but I think most of the beaches don't allow it anymore. I made sure to do it away from other people who might not want them around, and it was fun getting them to eat out of my hand.

It would be nice if they'd designate some feeding areas for those of us who enjoyed doing so. Ever since they outlawed it, they seem to be a lot more aggressive. Last time I tried to enjoy a slice of pizza out on the boardwalk, I ended up regretting it, just like the guy with the funnel cake who got dive-bombed.
                        You probably earned the enmity of every resident in a 5 mile radius.

The next town over from me has a shopping strip about a half-mile from the docks, running parallel. The seagulls hung around the docks, waiting to snatch the odd fish, & never bothered anyone (except for the fishermen).

Then some old biddy started feeding the odd stray seagull on the high street. The odd stray seagull turned into a few dozen, then rapidly into the entire ruddy flock. And they didn't stick to the high-street - they spread out across half the town (that they'd more or less ignored up until that point, except for using the odd chimney for nesting).

By the time she moved away a few months later, hundreds of the things were stalking the high street, pooping & snatching food out of tourists' hands. No-one's been able to get rid of them since, & those of us who worked nearby had to keep an eye on the sky when scuttling to our cars. Nesting season was... interesting, as between flocks of startled seagulls taking flight when you walked out the door (& reflexively pooping) or dive-bombing you to protect their chicks (& letting fly with the poop as they did it) there were quite a few occasions where I'd go home needing a shower.
                        "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

I work at the place you speak of, RK. I've seen them fly off with a churro cigar, attack a preteen and eat her ice cream while the girl screams in terror, and watched them eat ice cream off the ground in the middle of winter.

But none of these beat the incident related to me by a fellow coworker. She walked outside yesterday and watched one of the birds land on a female guests' chest. The guest had no food--no real reason for the seagull to come near her, and yet....

I'm waiting to hear about the lawsuit against the perverted seagull.

Comment

Reminds me of Navy planes from the 60's and 70's...Or I should I bet Navy planes from the 60's and 70's used their color scheme as a reference.
                            well, that paint scheme did use GULL gray.
                            "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Speaking of Seagulls, i need to take a picture of this one bird species i keep seeing around town, as they look like Seagulls.

I'm a few hundred miles In-land, so i doubt it, but idk what they are.

Comment

Quoth Project_Mars View Post
                                Speaking of Seagulls, i need to take a picture of this one bird species i keep seeing around town, as they look like Seagulls.

I'm a few hundred miles In-land, so i doubt it, but idk what they are.
                                Don't be surprised if they are. Like I said, I've seen them in Rio Rancho and we're smack in the middle of New Mexico, land-locked high, cold desert.
                                It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Working...
                                X