X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No SC's, Just bad timing

BG: Friendly neighborhood quilter

Been sewing my rear off and finally got a bit of a break before I dive headfirst into Christmas fabric.

Lots of custom orders this year. Most were just wonderful, however 12 were not and seemed to follow a pattern. They work with me over all the details, pay the 50% deposit and I get to work. Then when I contact them letting them know that the quilt is finished and the other 50% is due before I can ship, I get a sob story about financial troubles. I understand having unexpected things come up. (it's my kid's favorite hobby after all!) I always offer to do lower payments and hold the quilt for them until Christmas. Some of these were from March, so I think I'm being very considerate. Never heard anything back, not even a thank you.

Now it's looking like I'm going to have to find homes for a dozen custom quilts come Dec 26th. And because I'm such a softy, I'm planning on refunding the "non refundable" deposits.

Just not happy thinking about refunding 3 grand for Christmas.
    https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

DON'T DO IT!!!!! Seriously, don't. It is a NON-REFUNDABLE deposit. You've put in the effort to make them, and your quilts are worth a lot more than you charge anyway, so there's no way you're going to make that money back from selling them. If you don't stick to your policies, then people are going to walk all over you. One scenario I can immediately think of is someone ordering a quilt, giving you a sob story, then trying to pick up that quilt on a discount when you have to sell it later.

If you feel really guilty, offer them a small discount on another quilt order. If you feel really super guilty, offer them a discount equal to their deposit, but DON'T GIVE THEIR MONEY BACK.
    The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Seconded. Please do not refund this money. They would not get it from a different company and this is your money. 3 grand shelled out by you before Xmas would screw you up and out of your hard earned money.
      Please, please don't do it

Comment

Thirded.

They made the decision to order the quilt, they knew the deposit was non-refundable, they are the ones who have had all this time to come up with the money and haven't done so.

You are the one who has been working hard, you have been spending your time - which you can never get back - on the quilts that these people said that they wanted.

They lose their deposit? Too bad, so sad. Why should you suffer financially rather than them?
        Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Fourthed.

I would be hesitant to discount the quilts as that cheapens the value of your work.
          Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
          Save the Ales!
          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Fifth. (Creme de cacao, if you must know.)

Don't think of it as a deposit. Think of it as an 'idiot tax'. They deserve to lose it because they're being idiots.

Don't deprive your family because these twits can't get their act together. It is NOT your fault they screwed up. They need to suffer for their mistakes, not you.

Don't disappoint us, love. Don't give in to the enemy. (Okay, j/k, but . . . don't do it, please?)

Comment

You told them it's non-refundable. Maybe next time they won't spend money they don't have.

I'm guessing you'll be stuck selling the quilts for less than originally agreed upon, so you'll need the deposit to make up for it. Even if you sell the quilts for what you agreed upon, you need to be compensated for all the time you spent running in circles with them instead of sewing more quilts.

Comment

No, don't do the refund. You (probably) won't be able to sell the custom quilt to another person for the same amount as the the original commission. The non-refundable portion covers your time and effort and helps bring the total earned amount to something comparable, while letting you sell it for less and get a buyer anyway. It's their fault for not budgeting properly for their purchase, knowing that the other half of the price would come due.

edit: bwawhaha, I could have just seconded what trailerparkmedic said above me.

Comment

What number are we on, sixthed, seventhed, eighthed? Whichever, I agree with all of the above posters. DO NOT REFUND THEM!!!

It's a NON-REFUNDABLE deposit, you spent the money on the materials and put in your time (which is worth more than it's priced at), you did your part. Why reward them for not doing theirs?

Like Morgana said, consider it an idiot tax. They're at fault for not following through, not you.
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Ninth! Don't refund! And pm me the link to your site if you would please, I would like to get into line for a quilt.

Comment

DO.NOT.RE.FUND.

It's non-refundable for a reason right? Why even call it non-refundable if you're going to refund it? I understand you feel bad that they are in financial trouble, but it's not your fault they ordered a fancy quilt instead of saving that money.
                      My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
                      It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Ditto. do not refund. You put the time, effort and skill into making it. They knew in advance it was not refundable. Don't screw yourself because they changed their mind and are trying to make you feel guilty enough to refund them. Seriously.

Comment

Don't refund, for god's quilted sakes.
                          So, let's say Bobbie paid $X which is 1/2 of the price. Bobbie wanted it by Aug 30. You finished it, and it's done, you've sent email. Ok.
                          You get sob story.
                          You remind customer that Aug 30 is coming up. "IF YOU DON'T PAY AND HAVE IT SHIPPED TO YOU BY SEPT 15, IT WILL BE CONSIDERED TO BE GIVEN UP(find a word)." Your property afterwards, put it up for sale at 2x + something else. If Bobby wants to buy it that way, they're NOT going to get it cheaper. Period.

Those deposits? For your labor and supplies. So you break even, tbh. If Bozo doesn't want to really buy it, they'd not pay.

Look. I was futzing around at a price model for fudge. Home made good shit.
                          It was - find supplies. Incorporate ALLL THE OVERHEAD. (food supplies, fridge, electricity, hardware [utensils, pans, meausring cups, all of it]) and add about 10% of those costs to themselves. The 10% ish was to cover for any inflation. Plus, a bit more money. Think of buying wholesale vs straight retail.
                          Then after that, I got a guesstimation price for a batch of fudge. 5# in one batch, 3# in a different food/combo.
                          Added 30% for profit on top of all that - and came out with some good decent prices. Researched it online for other home made products sold online - I was RIGHT ALONG THEIRS.

Fuck 'em.
                          You did the work. You bought supplies. Your contract (GOT ONE??) states 1/2 up front, 1/2 on shipping/handling. If not paid in full within 30 days of deadline, item is considered (word?).

Sell the item at 2x the deposit PLUS 30% of cost? supplies? And it WILL SELL.

Your product is worth it. Just like Seraphs. You don't do a duct tape quilt, she doesn't do a slap quicky website.
                          Have confidence. You are worth it. Plus, send some pics!
                          In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                          She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

I know I know...

Just when I have $250 - $300 as a down payment, it makes me a bit nervous when they don't reply to emails.
                            Most of these custom orders are not way out wacky stuff, so it wouldn't be difficult to sell to someone else.

Two people I am worried about because I got a weird feeling from the emails. They stank of EW and I'd hate to lose my 100% pos. feedback because of BS. I will send them reminder emails again to cover my butt.

and I have a bunch of photos I need to put on the blog. I'll get on that now.
                            https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Quoth Kanalah View Post
                              I know I know...

Just when I have $250 - $300 as a down payment, it makes me a bit nervous when they don't reply to emails.
                              Most of these custom orders are not way out wacky stuff, so it wouldn't be difficult to sell to someone else.

Two people I am worried about because I got a weird feeling from the emails. They stank of EW and I'd hate to lose my 100% pos. feedback because of BS. I will send them reminder emails again to cover my butt.

and I have a bunch of photos I need to put on the blog. I'll get on that now.
                              Please tell me you have a contract you use? If not PM me and I can help you write one up, I used to work at a law office with contracts and my work now still has me dealing with them. Even if you send them through e-mail they are still binding if you use the proper terminology.

Good luck!
                              My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
                              It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X