This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving up. ^_^

So some of you will remember towards the end of April I transferred from my store in Baltimore to a store in the town I grew up in in East Tennessee. I love this store so much. The managers are awesome (with a few exceptions) and I have a tons less drama (there's drama but I'm just an observer).
    But a few weeks ago one of the managers posted a notice on the time clock for an opening at one of the 24 hour store for a night shift non manager key holder position. I expressed interest to my store manager and asked what he thought (I tend it be over critical of myself). He said I do a really good job but I have room to improve. And I'm not quite up to the challenge of a night shift supervisor position yet (which I agreed with and thanked him for his straight forwardness). His suggestion was to work as an overnight cashier for a while if just to see if I'd like it. He is friends with several of the store managers of 24 hour stores in the area so he said he'd see what he could.
    Well Sunday I came in and the assistant manager told me that there was an overnight position at a store closer to downtown, would I like it? I told her I had to talk to my parents (who've been helping me out a lot lately, plus I appreciate their advice) and my roommate.
    I went in yesterday morning and told my store manager I'd like to take the position. And at 3:30 (I came in at 10:30) the store manager to my new store came by to talk to me. I start Tuesday (unless my Sunday and Monday shifts can't be covered... Then I start Thursday)!
    Overnights here are done 7 days on/7 day off. It will be an interesting first month or two.
    Squee!
    Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
    Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Welcome to the Graveyard shift. Some people love them. Some hate them. Hope it works out.

Good luck!
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Entirely appropriate.

Congratulations!
      SC: "Are you new or something?"
      Me: "Yes. Your planet is very backwards I hope you realize."

Comment

Quoth csquared
        Welcome to the Graveyard shift. Some people love them. Some hate them. Hope it works out.

Good luck!
        Thank you. I'm fairly certain I'll like it. One of the managers said there will be people that will probably come up to me cause of how I look (purple hair). I told him 'I dyed my hair for a reason, and it's not cause I'm normal.' :P

Quoth ShadowTiger
        Entirely appropriate.

Congratulations!
        That was awesome! Thanks!
        Last edited by dragon_wings; 08-14-2012, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Congratulations and good luck! It's a sound plan, with a reasonable exit strategy, and I gotta say I'd love to do shifts like that...
          This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
          I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Way to go!

I'm hoping it goes well for you, and looking forward to the stories of crazies you deal with (I know of what I speak, having worked that shift at another store).

Comment

Congrats!
              I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
              Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
              Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Thanks all. I've yet to hear anything from my old store so I'm fairly sure they haven't been able to get my Sunday and Monday shifts covered. Regardless, I'm very excited about starting nights this coming week.

Comment

I'll be working Sunday and Monday in cosmetics at my old store which means, I believe, that I'll start at my new store on Thursday night. Yay. ^_^

Comment

Woo! Personally, I did three years on graveyards and loved the schedule. I could make appointments for early morning and not have to lose work time, during days off I did shopping at 24 hour stores and missed a lot of the crowds and drama. The biggest drawback was the fact that things could get noisy during the daylight hours - especially in the summer - with things like lawn movers and such.

Comment

Working...
                    X