This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I Never Get ID'd!"

Ah, yes, the whole ID'ing thing rears its ugly, godforsaken (even though it's probably wrong to use that word on a holiday) head once again. A guy came into the store, and I'd say he was MAYBE twenty. Maybe. I was with one of my regulars at the time, but as soon as I got to the guy he asked for Marb lights. I, being a good law abiding C-Store drone, asked for ID. You'd think I'd asked for his firstborn!

SC: "I don't have it on me. I NEVER get ID'd!"

ME: *really wanting to say "Liar, you just did!"* Sorry, I can't sell to you without ID.

SC: *gets all huffy and cattbut face-y* Fine! I'll go to *competitor alllll the way across town! Thank you, for nothing! *stmps toward the door* Really *keeps stomping, shoves door open roughly* I appreciate it!

My regular customer just shook his head, and said "Wow...Have a happy day, to you, too."

I spent the remaining two hours of my shift resisting the urge to slam my head against the counter over and over until I either passed out or felt better, whichever happened first. Really, these are my (least) favorite cigarette customers. If you're old enough, show me your damn ID. If you're not, then piss off. I don't sell to minors. Oh, and to top it off, he was driving. So very tempting to call the local law enforcement to report him...too bad I didn't think of that until I was off work.
    "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Yeah, throwing a tantrum like a 4-year-old will really demonstrate an adult level of maturity, too.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Geez, what a jerk. I'm fairly close to 40 and still get ID'd from time to time. Those of us who are actually grown ups cough up our ID's, even if it is annoying. Clerks are just doing their jobs.
      At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

I have found in the last ten years of id'ing people that the closer they are to the minimum age is directly proportional to the maximum attitude they display.

Comment

The oldest person I've ever ID'd was nearly 50. So jealous of their genetics.

The most unwilling to show ID, I've found, is when they are around 2 months past the legal age. It seems for the first couple of months, they are really proud to show their ID to prove their legal status.
          After that time frame, they expect the world the realize that they are old enough and so they should stop bloody asking for ID all the damn time. God!

Comment

I got carded the other day because something I bought triggered the ID check. I just handed over my card, thanked the lady for checking and explained I have to do the same thing at my job.
            "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

Oh dear, it was always the freshly 18 year olds (although some 19-20 year olds were still pretty entitled) and the freshly 21 year olds that thought that that magic year meant no more carding.

Seriously? No. Show it. Or get the fuck out.
              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

My favorites are the ones that tell me their birthday. Hey I can throw out all kinds of dates, too!
                I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

Ugh, I hate when people ask me for ID. Every time they ask that I have to jog around the building twice, do two pushups, a handstand, another pushup, spin around three times, sing the national anthem, count to 10 with my eyes closed, find where the cashier's hiding, hide and wait til the cashier finds me, win a gold medal for gymnastics, raise a child to the age of three, learn another language and clap my hands 5 times.

Oh, no, wait, here it is in my wallet. I guess it took more effort to complain than it did to just show you.

Comment

Trixie, there was a customer trying to do that with CoworkerL as I was leaving the store yesterday. Thankfully L was smart enough to tell her he needed to see her ID, not just have her rattle off a random date.
                    "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Quoth Trixie View Post
                      My favorites are the ones that tell me their birthday. Hey I can throw out all kinds of dates, too!
                      I'd be tempted to tell them back "14 October 1066."

and then when they give you a look say that you're playing the "random date game" or when they say that you couldn't have possibly been born then... "and without your ID card, as far as I know you couldn't have been born then either."

Comment

I also get some that when I ask for ID tell me then can give me their birthday. Kinda like a little kid would. Still doesn't make you old enough to buy age-restricted items. Go grow up some and try again. Thanks for playing though!
                        I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

Hell, my mom is carded still from time to time and she's nearly 50! She simply takes it as a compliment. If only these idiots could just see it the same way. But that would be far too simple.
                          Some people just need a high five...

In the face with the back of a chair....

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
                            Oh dear, it was always the freshly 18 year olds (although some 19-20 year olds were still pretty entitled) and the freshly 21 year olds that thought that that magic year meant no more carding.
                            No, you just get to be yourself when you are carded.
                            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth Carsomyr View Post
                              Ugh, I hate when people ask me for ID. Every time they ask that I have to jog around the building twice, do two pushups, a handstand, another pushup, spin around three times, sing the national anthem, count to 10 with my eyes closed, find where the cashier's hiding, hide and wait til the cashier finds me, win a gold medal for gymnastics, raise a child to the age of three, learn another language and clap my hands 5 times.

Oh, no, wait, here it is in my wallet. I guess it took more effort to complain than it did to just show you.

When I first started with the bank, I was in the "float pool" and was filling in for someone. I asked a customer for his ID when cashing a check and he said, "Girlie, I've been coming here for 35 years. I don't need to show you my ID."

I responded "Well I've been here for 3 days. I don't know you. And in order for me to cash your check... yeah you do."

Comment

Working...
                              X