Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people make assumptions about people they don't know?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do people make assumptions about people they don't know?

I was in the middle of a sentence, explaining about our store card (because we're being harped on about it, as I will post in MiM) when she asked me ""How long do you have to go?" *sound of record scratch* At first I was confused, and then was wondering why she was interrupting me to ask about my schedule. I asked her how long for what, and her response was "Are you pregnant?" I told her no and she said my face looked like I didn't feel well. So not feeling well means I'm pregnant? And the women who ask me this are usually bigger than me. She certainly was. I'm so sick of this. Every. Other. Month.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Obviously this lady hasn't heard the rule about not asking a woman if she's pregnant until you can see the baby crowning.
    At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Personal questions like that are inexcusable for exactly that reason -- the person asking hasn't got a clue and often ends up with their foot jammed in their mouth (although I'm sure they don't see it that way). Hence the reason for keeping conversations with people you DO NOT KNOW to general things like the weather, wow you guys are busy, the weather, can you recommend (whatever), the weather ...

Comment

Well, I can't actually answer the question of the post's title without doing exactly what you mention in the post's title.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
          Obviously this lady hasn't heard the rule about not asking a woman if she's pregnant until you can see the baby crowning. ever ever ever ever ever
          FTFY

I make it a point never to bring up something like that unless the person specifically tells me they're pregnant. I had one co-worker tell me that she thought I was nuts because I wouldn't bring it up, even when it was obvious, until I explained the rule to her hehe.
          "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
          "What IS fun to fight through?"
          "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
            So not feeling well means I'm pregnant?
            Of course! didn't you know women never ever get sick unless they're pregnant, then any and every symptom of anything is obviously because "you're pregnant".

Seriously, I say I'm feeling ill, I get asked, and I've had parts removed!

I've started doing this to males, it's kind of funny.
            Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
              I've started doing this to males, it's kind of funny.
              Are you preggers, JimBob?

Wut!?!?

That head up your *** sure looks a lot like you.
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth KhirasHY View Post
                FTFY

I make it a point never to bring up something like that unless the person specifically tells me they're pregnant. I had one co-worker tell me that she thought I was nuts because I wouldn't bring it up, even when it was obvious, until I explained the rule to her hehe.
                lol. True. Though if I ever find myself in a position where I've got some woman's half born baby in my hands, I'd consider it safe to mention it.
                At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth KhirasHY View Post
                  I had one co-worker tell me that she thought I was nuts because I wouldn't bring it up, even when it was obvious, until I explained the rule to her hehe.
                  Because uterine tumours never happen, right? And there's no other possible reason, ever, for a person to bulge in the tummy.

</sarcasm>
                  Seshat's self-help guide:
                  1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                  2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                  3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                  4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Well Seshat, in her case, it was obvious...but I STILL wouldn't say anything She weighed maybe 120lbs soaking wet and fully clothed, so the baby bulge was obvious. But it's a rule, dammit!
                    "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
                    "What IS fun to fight through?"
                    "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                      Of course! didn't you know women never ever get sick unless they're pregnant,
                      If that were true, I'd be out having a sex change operation right now... they have pills to prevent pregnancy, so literally one pill a day would prevent me from ever feeling sick... sign me the fuck up
                      If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                        ... sign me: the fuck up ...
                        You want to be really careful how you punctuate that...
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
                          lol. True. Though if I ever find myself in a position where I've got some woman's half born baby in my hands, I'd consider it safe to mention it.
                          Of course if you wait much longer beyond that and it wouldn't be safe to ask because she would no longer be pregnant... Unless she's having twins, but then you're back to the first condition.

Comment

In answer to the title ..."Because it's easier to assume than to learn"
                            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
                              Obviously this lady hasn't heard the rule about not asking a woman if she's pregnant until you can see the baby crowning.
                              yep. the woman cutting my hair was pregnant I think. but she was a complete stranger so i kept my mouth shut. besides she did a good job on my hair.

Comment

Working...
                              X