This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• %#@%! weather!

No, not because it's cold or snowing, just the opposite. It was actually pretty warm out today but we had a fair bit of rain come down, which promptly froze upon contact to the surface. I got a phone call from my sister just after she left who told me to salt the sidewalk because she slipped and fell. Nothing serious though.

I on the other hand could not say the same.

After salting the back steps, I go and take a couple steps on the sidewalk. Next thing I know I'm on my back with a sore head and a fair bit of blood. I come in and start soaking my head, and lots of blood on the cold cloth. After my dad took me to the hospital and I got a preliminary bandage on, I had a bit of a wait before the doctor would see me. Stapled the two inch gash in the back of my head and then I got dressed up and given a tetanus shot, then given the green light to head out. I am at current sitting here with roughly 5-6 staples in my head and a bandage wrapped around it, and the freezing wore off shortly after I got home because I now have a MONSTER headache.

Not to say there wasn't a bit of humour involved though. The doctor who patched me up took a spill of his own and the circumstances mirrored mine. (could see the ice, knew it was going to be a skating ring, tried to be careful, and it didn't help in the slightest.) It seems to be a common story today actually.

So yes, I'm fine, well more or less. In a week I have to to my family doctor to get the staples pulled. Just not the happiest person right now.
    I AM the evil bastard!
    A+ Certified IT Technician

UPDATE: Well, the staples came out yesterday (yes, it hurt a lot), and the count was at 10. The odd thing is that every time someone counted, the count seemed to go up. I'm thinking I need to find a metal detector to walk through just to make sure all the staples were removed.
    I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

Yikes! Glad you're okay, lordlunar.
      "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
      Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Yeeesh....that doesn't sound like fun. Me and ice do NOT get along. I wear shoe chains for traction if I think it's even remotely icy. That's the only way I don't fall.
        https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Ouch!!!!

A good & cheap way to improve traction on ice is kitty litter,the cheapest non-clumping kind.Since it's just clay,when the ice melts it just dissolves.
          "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

Glad you're alive, though! No concussion?? I'm surprised. I dread ice. If I have to drive on it, I get so nervous that my back tenses up something awful, and then I'm in pain for days. March will be a bad month for me.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
              Glad you're alive, though! No concussion?? I'm surprised. I dread ice. If I have to drive on it, I get so nervous that my back tenses up something awful, and then I'm in pain for days. March will be a bad month for me.
              No concussion and yeah, it surprised the heck out of me too. I hit on the top part of the bottom most step near the corner. Thick skull I guess. Wasn't even a fracture. Fair bit of blood though, the front right half and collar of my shirt were caked in blood, the collar of my coat was lightly stained and my pants had a big mark. Supposedly there was a decent sized pool as well. (I didn't look myself on the way out, I was a little preoccupied at the time and we had a downpour while I was at the hospital which washed it away by the time we got back)

Anywhere that there was bare streets or sidewalks was a wreck though. The entire city was basically black ice. It would not have surprised me if at least half the people in the waiting room were in there with an ice fall related injury.
              Last edited by lordlundar; 02-04-2011, 04:36 AM.
              I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

okay, at some point over the course of the year, I'm finding climbing spikes for my boots. We had another case of freezing rain last night.

No, I didn't fall and/or injure myself, but it was one heck of an effort to avoid it.
                I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

Working...
                X