This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I miss my tooth

As I was growing up, a lot of my permanent teeth never came in. I had three that were impacted, but some didn't form. This means I never had wisdom teeth. Also I have a few teeth that are still baby teeth, because no adult teeth formed to replace them. I never really thought it was an issue until last week.

The first molar on the bottom left side of my mouth started to hurt horribly. I was really worried so I made a dentist appointment for this morning. My dentist back home was always saying he needed to keep on eye on this tooth. I always assumed it was because I had broken the tooth when I was 19, and he was just making sure the 7/8 crown I had was still in place. It turns out I had assumed wrong.

It turns out the root of my molar had receded, as it was a baby tooth and not meant to be permanent. As the root receded, the tooth became loose and it's movements were irritating my gums. So the tooth had to be removed.

Now there is a huge space on the bottom left side of my mouth where my first molar should reside. It looks horrible and it really hurts. Though I'm sure the pain will fade as the extraction area heals.

I'm very concerned that my teeth might shift. I had braces for 3 years, and I would hate to see all the work wasted. Moreover, what if the roots recede on my other baby teeth with not adult counterparts. Then my braces would definitely have been a waste of money.

I just don't know what to think.

Also, do any of you have suggestion for "soft" food meals? The instructions say not to use heat. So nothing that must be served hot.
    Last edited by hinakiba777; 02-03-2011, 05:14 PM.
    Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
    Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Couldn't you get an implant or bridge to replace the missing tooth?
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

I'm curious how you can have braces on baby teeth.....
      https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
      Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Smoothies would probably be good. The kind I make are approx: 1/2 to 1 cup frozen fruit, 1/4 cup yogurt, 1/4 cup milk, 1/4 cup raw oatmeal. Let the fruit sit out at room temp for 30-60 minutes, so it starts to thaw a bit but is still frozen. Blend everything together in a blender or with a stick blender.

Jello, pudding, applesauce, mashed potatoes (could put bits of finely diced chicken or other meat in it), oatmeal or other mushy cereal, warm soup (you should be able to eat warm things. The reason the dentist said no hot liquid is because if it's too hot, it can dissolve the blood clot that's formed over the extraction site. However, you should still be able to heat stuff like soup up so it's slightly warmer than room temp if you want.)

Make sure you don't suck anything through a straw, or smoke; if you do, you could disrupt the blood clot and cause dry socket.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
          Couldn't you get an implant or bridge to replace the missing tooth?
          Oh yeah. I will. But I won't have the opportunity to do it until I get home in April or May.

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
          Because there were no permanent teeth. Those baby teeth were as good as my adult teeth because there were no adult teeth to speak of.
          Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
          Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

even so by nature baby teeth aren't permanent....and don't have permanent roots...so how could braces work well on them?

You're unique for sure I have never heard of someone who doesn't get adult teeth, or doesn't get all of them anyway.

Comment

So you're missing one molar but have the rest? You should be fine on that front. My wisdom teeth never came down; sometimes they just don't. Also, I've had a molar pulled from each side of my jaw, and I don't miss them. Just keep an eye on the baby teeth. There are implants that can be put in. I believe I was back to solid foods the same day, but had to make sure I flushed out the "holes". But I heal fast.
              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Try Ensure milk shakes, I lived on those for several days until the socket hardened. Also NO STRAWS the susking will take the bood clot out of the socket and a dry socked is hell.
                "Of all the liars in the world, sometimes the worst are your own fears." – Rudyard Kipling

I don't have hot flashes. I have short, private vacations to the tropics.

Comment

even so by nature baby teeth aren't permanent....and don't have permanent roots...so how could braces work well on them?

You're unique for sure I have never heard of someone who doesn't get adult teeth, or doesn't get all of them anyway.
                  Actually I did wear braces once I was 6-7ish and not all of my baby teeth had gone yet.

In my case, the purpose of the braces (it was one of the sorts which you pull out and put in a glass of water at night) was to straighten out the crooked baby teeth (and their little roots) so the adult teeth wouldn't cause problems once they came out.

(BTW I had to get to the dentist's once a month to have the braces checked and adjusted.)
                  A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

Quoth hinakiba777 View Post
                    Also, do any of you have suggestion for "soft" food meals? The instructions say not to use heat. So nothing that must be served hot.
                    The other suggestions are all good. I would add sticky rice (cooled) and banana.

Sometimes orthodontists will put braces on baby teeth to line them up with adult teeth so everything gets into the right place. I had this same situation: one of my baby teeth had no adult tooth under it. I had a brace on it for awhile as my other teeth weere coming in to help keep things straight. Eventually, it got pulled (it was an incisor, and both my smaller incisors were pulled to make room in my mouth--I have only 28 teeth now).
                    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

With enough determination, you can frappe a steak That's if you get bored with fruit!

Maybe chili or soup? Cooled of course.
                      "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth pitmonkey View Post
                        Try Ensure milk shakes, I lived on those for several days until the socket hardened. Also NO STRAWS the susking will take the bood clot out of the socket and a dry socked is hell.
                        When I got my wisdom teeth out, the little care bag I got from the surgeon included a small can of Ensure (my mom used it to make a real milkshake with ice cream). I ate a lot of mac and cheese and spaghetti whenever I had teeth pulled (also had baby teeth pulled on other occasions).

I had to have all four first premolars removed when I was 11 before I could get my braces on, because I didn't have enough room in my jaw for my teeth to move (and they were really crooked to begin with, especially on the bottom - I had one front tooth that was turned at such an angle that they had to put a band on it because the bracket kept popping off). Then at 18 I had to get my wisdom teeth out before they would take off the retainer (the bottom was was cemented on). I also only have 28 teeth.
                        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                          I ate a lot of mac and cheese and spaghetti whenever I had teeth pulled (also had baby teeth pulled on other occasions).
                          I can't believe I forgot about mac and cheese...I had my wisdom teeth out in three different sessions, and after each one, my husband made me mac and cheese for dinner.

Comment

Let's see....when I had my wisdom teeth out many many moons ago I ate mashed potatoes, oatmeal, yogurt, made my own smoothies with fruit and ice cream and stuff, and when I had jaw surgery twice and had my teeth wired shut I lived on those smoothies and ensure...which at least then was nasty and I can't stand the taste to this day...

Comment

Working...
                            X