This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things that are becoming far to common

So, as I have stated before I do tech support for a cable company, and some of things people have been calling about over the past week are just ridiculous, and as the title says, far to common.

So, most memorable, this lady calls in, but the name on the account is a male name, and she says she is calling for her son because he is having Internet issues.
    First of all, your son is old enough, and apparently responsible enough to have his own account with us, but instead of calling us his self, he calost his mom to call us. The frank is wrong with you people?!
    Oh, and the funny thing his "issue" was his garam router, people hate being told their issue is with their equipment.

The other thing that is annoying the hell out of me, and also far to common, is people who think are free tech support for anything in their home and also that our field techs are their personal tech handymen who will connect or set up any piece of electronics in their home,, and free of charge.
    Case 1: Guy calls in, just bought a new TV, wants us to send a tech out to rre-connect everything to his new TV, not happy when we tell him no.
    Case 2a-z: Customer calls in with (insert non Internet related computer issue) wants us to help them with it. Again, are not happy when we tell them they need to call someone else.

It's getting to the point is really do wonder how my customers manage to even function in society. I'm also convinced the majority of the would probably die if their Internet was to go out for a few days.

I don't get this trend of having mommy do everything for you. From the time that I was old enough to have a job, I was told that I should handle it. Unless it was something out right illegal that work was doing, I handled it on my own. If I needed to call someone for something that was in my name or that I needed, I handled it on my own. I was even supposed to try to fix issues with my teachers on my own first before involving my parents. this helicopter parenting crap is making it harder for adults to function on their own

Comment

I know, I know. Funny thing about that call, mommy wasn't even at her son's house, so I advised to have her son, the account ho.der, call us from the location.

Comment

When I worked in cable tech support I had subscribers call me to troubleshoot their dishwasher, an automatic garage door opener, and one called me on why their furnace isn't blowing out hot air. The furnace owner tried blaming it on our installer, and claimed that since he was at their house doing an install within the last few days it's our responsibility to help them with the furnace.
        Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

Now today is the day of:
          Thank you for calling <company name> tech support, this is <name> how can I help you?
          Yeah, I have ever a question about my bill,
          Well, this is tech support, so let me transfer you to billing.

Listen to the garam prompts!!!

Comment

I freakin love when the son gets a ticket and Mommy calls the police to find out what to do about it...

Comment

People used to call the roofing company to ask about window cleaning or tree trimming. They'd seriously be like "so you roofed our house 5 years ago, do you think our trees need to be trimmed?" or even better "when you roofed our house years ago, did you adjust the satellite dish?"
              Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

So, the common theme today is people who do not seem to know how to hang up their phones. It is such a strange phenomenon, the call ends, yet I never hear the "click" of a phone hanging up, and I still hear the the person on the other line. It seems that they called with speaker phone turned on, and the end of the call, instead of hanging up like a normal person, they just put the phone down. It's hilarious when I hear them bad-mouthing me or the company in the back ground. I don't mind, it actually, gives me a break from calls. Had a fun one where I listened to the customer for 10 minutes till I got bored and hung.

Comment

Quoth spazmunke View Post
                  So, the common theme today is people who do not seem to know how to hang up their phones. (snip) instead of hanging up like a normal person, they just put the phone down. (snip) Had a fun one where I listened to the customer for 10 minutes till I got bored and hung.
                  What happens if one of these "put the phone down instead of hanging up" calls happens at a call centre which has a rule "NEVER hang up on a customer - doesn't matter if they're swearing at you and threatening violence, you MUST stay on the line with them"? Customer didn't disconnect, and you're not allowed to - does this mean you stay on the line with dead air (and your handle time gets shot to hell) for hours?
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

No, the one about mommy calling in for the kid has been going on a lot longer than that. Usually the kid is at college and she's "calling on their behalf." Lady, that kid is old enough to not only have a service contract on a product IN THEIR NAME, but be in college. Time to let them do their own damned scheduling.. you know, because they know their schedule better than you do. (I had too much faith in humanity back then.) This was the 90's... so, it's been going on a lot longer. Not that it mattered, I told her she had to have her kid call as the product and the "kid" was in another state at the time. (Our 1-800 number would connect you to the nearest repair center.)

Now, our techs would hook up some things when they came into your home for a repair, but that was because they unhooked it in the first place. If you'd just bought the TV or Appliance and had it delivered, the "drop and go delivery" would sometimes set it up for you. Yeah, I said drop and go. This is because the store's delivery crew would sometimes not even bother bringing the item inside the home...

We did some computer repair, right up until corporate realized that this was bullshit and put a stop to the stores selling computers. Probably because they realized how many people back in the '90s really did think the CD-rom drive was a cup holder. No, that's not an urban myth. I thought it was until I had to take an actual, serious, call concerning the cup holder. I had to educate the village idiot on the basics of his computer.
                    If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

I can (almost) understand the mother calling on behalf of the child, almost. I work night-shift, so I sleep when most companies are open. So I can see that.

Of course, we work 10hr days so I have Friday's off. I just stay up late and do all my business then, usually. But on rare occasions, my parents will help by house sitting when I need work done on my house during the week. (Like with poo-magedon, they will be house sitting while I get new sewer lines, and I will be sleeping elsewhere.)

Not that I think this is what is happening with your SCs, but I do understand the occasional need.
                      I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Working...
                      X