This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WOO-WOO Boy

I was at the grocery store the other day, standing in Frozen Foods, and heard what sounded like a really high-pitched train horn. It got louder . . . and louder . . . and then I saw the source: a little boy riding on the front (I kid you not!) of the mom's cart and pretending to be a train. That's very cute and I will be the first to condone creativity (especially when it keeps kids out of danger/trouble), but this was just annoying. Mom was just ignoring it, but everybody around her started getting PISSED, especially when she stopped for bagged broccolli. What was funny was that a tall man with a HUGE beard quietly told the kid to stop, and in his fear he did . . . then he just went "Woooooo . . . wooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! WOOO WOOOOOOOO!!!!!" Just as loud as before. I almost -almost!- went over to the kid to ask him to stop again (maybe Mom would have gotten the picture), but I was finished so I left.

You could seriously hear this kid from the entire food section of the store. Awful.

This goes in line with "Control Your Kids." Parents, don't be afraid to, oh, I don't know . . . parent!
    Last edited by kerrisan; 08-08-2006, 06:26 PM.
    ~*~"If your gift is that of serving others, serve them well. If you are a teacher, do a good job of teaching." -Romans 12:7~*~

Quoth Kerrisan
    This goes in line with "Control Your Kids." Parents, don't be afraid to, oh, I don't know . . . parent
    But, that would be way too much work with the shopping that she has to do! I mean, if there was only a magic stick that could teach everyone how to parent...then stuff like wouldn't happen.
    Movie, Music, Anime and many more reviews...coming soon!

Comment

I think alot of parents would rather ignore it than look like the bad guy. I can't remember which comedian it was, but somebody did a bit about parenting in pubilc.

Pardon me while I paraphrase.

See, parenting in public always backfires. Everybody always sees the bad stuff and ONLY the bad stuff. Like, you buy your kid a drink:

Kid: But I want a laaaaaaaaarge!
      Parent: No, Junior, if you finish the small, we can get you another small.
      Kid: Noooooooooo, I want a laaaaaaaaarge!
      Parent: Honey, please don't make Daddy angry. Finish the small and if you want another one you can get another one.
      Kid: Laaaaaaaaaaarge!

---And then this is the part other people notice:---

Parent: *grabs child by the arms* I SAID YOU'RE NOT GETTIN' A LARGE!!!! YOU CAN'T HAVE A FREAKIN' LARGE!!! NOW DRINK THE SMALL!!!!
      I think parents are just afraid of being looked at like the bad guy.

I looooooove the parents who pull the "if you're such a big boy/girl then I'll see you later" trick. The child quickly learns that they are only a CHILD and they need Mommy/Daddy. As long as the parent never takes his/her eyes off the child (without the child knowing, of course ).
      Last edited by kerrisan; 08-08-2006, 06:50 PM.
      ~*~"If your gift is that of serving others, serve them well. If you are a teacher, do a good job of teaching." -Romans 12:7~*~

Comment

I remember seeing that bit on TV but I forgot who it was.
        I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

My dad never used to care about being thought of as the bad guy... many was the time he shouted, "If you don't shut up right now, you'll feel the back of my hand!", right in the middle of a busy store. Ah, memories.
          People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
          My DeviantArt.

Comment

My mom wasn't worried about parenting either. Like the time I was about 4 or 5 years old, I ran out in the street in front of a cop with his lights and sirens blazing. Thankfully the cop stopped in time so as not to kill me, but my mom was right behind me. She picked me up by one arm, and spanked me into next week. As she tells it, the cop actually got out and thanked her, he was terrified that he wouldn't be able to stop.

To this day I am still terrified of crossing the street.
            The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Quoth toolbert View Post
              if there was only a magic stick that could teach everyone how to parent...
              We used to call those "willow branches" or "baseball bats"
              Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

I'm too lazy to search myself, but have there been any lawsuits over spankings as "child abuse?"

I wouldn't be surprised . . .

Comment

Quoth Primer View Post
                  We used to call those "willow branches" or "baseball bats"
                  Hickory switch here....

Comment

Quoth kerrisan View Post
                    I'm too lazy to search myself, but have there been any lawsuits over spankings as "child abuse?"

I wouldn't be surprised . . .
                    Well, when my brother got my parents hauled to court, the judge heard his case, then laughed at him and showed him pictures of real abuse.

Comment

Some parents not only don't control their kids in public they get mad if someone else tries to. I had an incident in a supermarket where this kid was running around with a toy saxaphone blowing into it as hard and loud as possible.
                      Just my luck they wind up behind me in line. The kid goes right up to me, puts the saxaphone close to my ear and starts blowing it as loud as possible. I take two steps away the kid takes two steps forward and proceeds to do it again. The mom is just standing there watching not saying a word, at this point even the cashier was glaring at her.
                      So finally I firmly say "Cut it out". The mom gestures to her kid and says loud enough for everyone in line to hear "Come here, honey, that lady obviously does not like kids" I was speechless and just shared a look of disbelief with the cashier. I grabbed my stuff and walked off as the kid turned to the people behind them and started blowing into his saxaphone again.
                      My Horror Blog

Cinemania

Comment

I was at a barbershop a few months ago waiting to get my hair cut. This woman had this little kid who tried TO GRAB MY FREAKING NOSE!!!!!! The parent did nothing about and when I politely asked the kid to stop the mom started yelling at me about it but I walked right up to the barber while she was still yelling. She looked at me shocked and the barber laughed because that was the first time he ever saw anyone do that to her. She and her kid are notorious for being SCs apparently.
                        The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Do you look anything like your O RLY avatar? I can just see you--or at least your avatar--having that reaction to a kid pulling your nose.

That gives me an idea--I bet the parking lot you control could use an avian fierce.
                          I second that Frederick Douglass quote--unfortunately, so do a lot of SCs.

Comment

Quoth TruthHurts View Post
                            Some parents not only don't control their kids in public they get mad if someone else tries to. I had an incident in a supermarket where this kid was running around with a toy saxaphone blowing into it as hard and loud as possible.
                            Just my luck they wind up behind me in line. The kid goes right up to me, puts the saxaphone close to my ear and starts blowing it as loud as possible. I take two steps away the kid takes two steps forward and proceeds to do it again. The mom is just standing there watching not saying a word, at this point even the cashier was glaring at her.
                            So finally I firmly say "Cut it out". The mom gestures to her kid and says loud enough for everyone in line to hear "Come here, honey, that lady obviously does not like kids" I was speechless and just shared a look of disbelief with the cashier. I grabbed my stuff and walked off as the kid turned to the people behind them and started blowing into his saxaphone again.
                            You're a lot more patient to me... I once had a little girl tootling a toy recorder in a Maccy D's near to me. I went up to her and said, "Stop it." Her mum then butted in, saying, "Leave her alone, she has a right to play her recorder." I replied, "Yeah, and I have a right to take it and throw it out of the window." Complete silence; I went back to my burger and fries.
                            People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                            My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
                              Well, when my brother got my parents hauled to court, the judge heard his case, then laughed at him and showed him pictures of real abuse.
                              Whoa . . .

I would love a story, if you don't mind. How old was he? What exactly was his accusation? How did he react to the pictures?

If it's too personal of a matter I understand, but it sounds kind of like a good SC story to me!

Anyway, I googled "Spanking in public" just for kicks and found this:

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=1336429

watch the video. Go moms!

My parents never when so far as to publicly humiliate me, but I'm sure if they did I would have deserved it. But DOG POO??? That's dangerous. Good thing those parents got what was coming to them.
                              Last edited by kerrisan; 08-10-2006, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X