This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And the headaches continue

It is now time at the swamp to start setting up patio and lawn and garden items. Lots of garden tools, garden chemicals, grass seed, planters, fugly yard statues, folding chairs and patio furniture. Oh the patio furniture. Tables and chairs and umbrellas and fountains and benches and swings and a gazebo that takes at least two hours and three people to build (at least I didn't have to face it alone).

We've gotten to building and setting up the dining sets, and we're running into big-time problems with the swivel rockers. They always used to be so simple. Just a seat and base, and you pushed the seat into the base and you were done. This year's swivel rockers are a bit more complicated, with a part that comes in between the seat and the base, and hardware to connect it all together. I guess this will result in a sturdier chair.

The issue is these chairs are craptacularly packaged. They come in cases of two, with two seats, two bases and two cushions in each box, plus a smaller box that contains the two middle parts. There's also one set of hardware (bolts, nuts, washers, allen wrenches, etc) in each box, plus one set of instructions. In short, they're packaged to be sold as two-packs.

But the company wants to sell the chairs as singles, and the pricing and on-hands are based on the chairs being sold as singles. This means if somebody buys only one chair, we have to give them the one base, seat, and cushion, and open the small box and take out one middle part, and divide the hardware exactly in half and keep the other half separate and together in a package of some sort, and copy the instructions so the person who buys the other chair in the box gets their hardware and instructions.

Because of this, we cannot assemble and display any swivel rockers on the patio flat until corporate gives us further direction. We had gotten a memo indicating only a couple styles of rockers were packaged this way, but we've discovered all of them are packaged this way.

I don't know if corporate screwed up or the manufacturer did. Either way it's yet another headache we don't need.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
    In short, they're packaged to be sold as two-packs.

But the company wants to sell the chairs as singles
    Buuhhhhh, what?! You have my sympathies mate /passes alcoholic beverages.
    Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
    What's the difference?
    We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Yeah. Let's make it impossible so people can fail. Then we'll use the loss of money as an excuse to crush our workforce.

Such a mess.
      Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Corporate seems to have come up with a solution, and of course it's as stupid as it possibly could have been.

If a customer buys only one chair out of a box of two, or an odd number of chairs, we are to give them the chair seat, base, one of the parts that goes in between the chair and seat, and the entire package of hardware.

Then we have to set the other chair aside, order another hardware package from the vendor, wait for it to arrive, and then put it with the other chair so it can be sold. Corporate estimates 90% of our purchases will be for even numbers of chairs--two or four mostly.

My first thought is they really think the kids we're having do carryouts most nights and some days are going to remember to tell somebody they carried out only one chair and we need to order more hardware? I consider myself lucky they remember to wear pants to work.

Also, how long is it going to take for these hardware packages to be sent to our store from the vendor, and whose job will it be to insert them into the boxes, besides mine?
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I consider myself lucky they remember to wear pants to work.
          Remember Irv? When you stapled their lowrider pants to their asses?
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I wonder how long it will be before someone buys 2 chairs and gets handed the (someone forgot to mark it) package that already had 1 chair removed. Bonus points if it's (as per corporate's instructions) missing ALL the hardware.
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Order the extra hardware packages now Irv. Cheat lie and steal to have a couple on hand. What a clusterfark!

Comment

I consider myself lucky they remember to wear pants to work.
                Pants are overrated
                Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
                What's the difference?
                We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

This corporation deserves to go bankrupt. They make midnight blue look brilliant.
                  Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

If I'm buying a chair that does not come in the original packaging unopened, then I will want a discount . . . I don't care if it's new or not.

Management has lost their minds. You're going to have SCs and EWs coming out of the woodwork.
                    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Working...
                    X