X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its the End of the World As We Know It

And I feel fiiiiiine....

Ok, so settle down, and hear the long-butt story of How The Poop Is About To Hit the Spinning Air Circulation.

So in this industry that I, well, dominate, there's a marketplace where people sell their script engines for setting up this one type of website. Throughout the years, five to be exact, I made friends of sorts with one, and threw my support behind them.

My influence carries a LOT of weight in this industry, and literally, every competition they had crumbled as people started flocking to this script, because I made a lot of special things that only worked with their script. They did a lot of improvements to their own script and system that helped them leap ahead of the competition, but even still, when you have a huge influence directing people to buy your stuff, and recommending you constantly, and featuring products/games that ONLY work with your script....it helps. :P

So, recently, Script Company sold to new owners. Said new owners have, within a week, practically destroyed the company. ALREADY. Support has gone down the tubes, they moved everything over to new servers, and in the process, destroyed ALL the data for everyone's emails! They gave everyone a very short notice, and them BAM.

People are FURIOUS about it! Understandably, though!

As icing on the cake, they have been ignoring emails. An issue cropped up last week where I noticed that a website was stealing images from me. Since the owner of the site refused to take it down, I sent a DMCA to Script Company, and it took TWO of them to finally get them to remove the image. I could've legally sued them after they ignored the first. The very next day, another stolen image was put in its place. DMCA'd again. Then another. Two more DMCAs to get that one taken too!

At this point, you'd think they'd either shut down the offending account or give them an extremely stern lecture about the potential for lawsuits, right?

Nope.

They told them, and I quote "please don't do this again, going forward."

...That was it. Four copyright violations, and "please don't do that again".

And now to the crux of the poop.

As some may know, I was partner in a business that marketed games specifically for Script Company. In fact, Script Company got a cut of our profits, just for having to keep one file on their servers that allowed our games to communicate with theirs. So they got a cut for basically....doing nothing.

Until last week. Last week, a couple of our games mysteriously stopped working. But only partially! All the data was lost, and basically, nothing could be saved. Sound familiar?

I and my partners have been sending emails, calling, etc etc to see what exactly happened with Script Company, and why this wasn't working. No responses, of course.

Finally, Ex-Coder stepped in. (collective gasp, eh? Just keep reading) He checked things out, and deduced that, as expected, Script Company's servers were simply...blocking us. Since we couldn't get a response from them directly, ExC got a customer of theirs to submit a support ticket, with the technical details, etc.

And here is their glorious, unabashedly backstabbing reply:

I'm really sorry, but we're actually not going to be supporting <Seraph's game company> any longer - I would definitely suggest getting games from <New Game Company>.
    Wait, what? Who's that?

Turns out, Script Company CLONED OUR GAMES, and is specifically blocking ours to force people to buy THEIRS.

Absolute. Backstabbing. Bastiges.

Five years of supporting them, and giving them a ridiculous amount of business. FIVE YEARS.

In the immortal words of Bugs Bunny: "Of course you know, this means war!"

I am promptly moving my support to another new script, who I happen to know that Script Company sees as a threat, due to their low cost, and much more customizable interface.

Several of their larger clients have been rather troubled by their recent behavior, and they're also very, very good friends of mine. They've actually been discussing moving to a new script.....I have a feeling this little tidbit...will push them past the edge.
    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

*reads epic thread and head moves to the side like a dog* what the bloody hell?! This is how someone shoots themselves in the foot.

*settles in for the long haul and epic updates*
    Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

ooh, this is gonna be fun! and at what point do Lawyers need to get involved?
      I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

Elspeth, more like stick their foot in their mouth and then shoot themselves in the foot.
        I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

Ooohhhh, wow.

Just dug up the public records of the filing for the sale. I found out who the new mysterious owner is, and no WONDER why he wants his identity a secret. If people found out who owned it now, they'd stampede to leave.

Oh my, it looks like this information was given to some certain people who are known to talk to EVERYONE. Gee, I wonder what happened.

Comment

Ooooo. Epic war story in the making?
            Damn. <is speechless>

*passes out popcorn and adult beverages (to those of legal age)*
            Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
            Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Do tell what the guy has done in the past to make it so he doesnt want peopleto know who he is?
              I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

Quoth dragon_wings View Post
                Ooooo. Epic war story in the making?
                Damn. <is speechless>

*passes out popcorn and adult beverages (to those of legal age)*
                Really just vaguely starting to wish I didn't have so many of these, LOL.

<death glare to Murphy and his Law>

Comment

Quoth Seraph

Really just vaguely starting to wish I didn't have so many of these, LOL.

Aww sorry Seraph. *offers cookies and yummy drinks*
                  Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
                  Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Wonder if the guy is related to this.

(trying to guess who it is without mentioning names)
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
                      Don't forget your screwdriver!

(of St. Vidicon)
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

If ex-coder hadn't had a nose around to find what's occurring, I'd be guessing him. And what's with him being helpful, and not psychotic, anyway?

Comment

After you drive all of their business to the other vendor, are you filing a lawsuit for stealing your games?
                          Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                          Save the Ales!
                          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth TheCheerfulTreeRat View Post
                            If ex-coder hadn't had a nose around to find what's occurring, I'd be guessing him. And what's with him being helpful, and not psychotic, anyway?
                            Maybe they finally put him on decent meds?
                            The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                              Wonder if the guy is related to this.
                              Nope, but similar business ethics, to be sure, LOL.

Quoth dalesys View Post
                              Don't forget your screwdriver!)
                              I've decided its no longer time for the sonic version...I'm getting the lazer.

Quoth TheCheerfulTreeRat View Post
                              The backstab honestly mostly affects him. Script Company's old owner was one of his best friends, and they had been discussing the future plans for the games when THIS came out. He feels pretty betrayed right now, understandably.

And just to note, I still don't trust him, at all, and I'm watching everything like a hawk.

Quoth csquared View Post
                              After you drive all of their business to the other vendor, are you filing a lawsuit for stealing your games?
                              Can't. They're changed enough I can't go after them, which is the typical point of cloning.

Hubby pointed out the Most Amusing Thing Ever.

You see, New Owner owns one of the largest sites in this industry, which is on a custom script and hosting. ALL of his competition is on Script Company. All. of. it. He can basically now screw over all of his competition in one fell swoop, and own EVERYTHING.

Conflict of Interest, anyone?

Comment

Working...
                              X