This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You can't win

I realised tonight something about my store. The regular staff are going to be told of no matter what they do.

We have walkies and have to call the manager to check we can go on our scheduled breaks. The usual practise if we are "short" on walkies (more staff than walkies) is to have someone do your calls for you.

I got told off for getting my coworker doing my calls for me. Tonight I got told off for borrowing someones walkie to make my calls (even though I stood next to them and handed it straight back).

We have daily goals for repeat customers. Even if I exceed my goal, we ALL get "coached" if one single person doesn't meet there goal. Even when I have done double my goal I have been told "you need to put more effort in" because they don't care about individual effort they just want to hit there magical number.

We have extra duties to do on a sunday, even though last week we had to stand around and wait 45 minutes for the last customers to clear out and therefore had to rush just to get through basic closing, guess what was waiting for me monday morning. A "coaching" on sunday closing. Even though the manager stood there and said "we only had 40 minutes instead of 1.5 hours" it was MY FAULT that I couldn't work at superhuman speed.

We have to offer carry out to any customer who buys certain items or X dollars. My coworker today offered and was asked to get a carry out. The manager was the only person available and refused to do it (policy is they would be the person to fall back on) and my coworker was told off for it.

We also have to make a certain % add on sale. I put through an order for $1200 today but my manager hauled me to the side because I couldn't convince these people to buy a $3 add on....

3 other people today came to me said "is it just me or can we do nothing right?"
    That is the motto for our store. You are told to do A, so you do A but you are wrong. You should have done B so you do B....WHY DIDNT YOU DO A!!!!!

I want to make everyone "coaching" bingo cards
    I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

I feel for ya.

People who are obsessed with numbers and numbers only have absolutely no people/thinking/time management/delegation skills whatsoever. And absolutely no logic can be used with them. You're NEVER right, you always did something wrong.

My crazy shift lead has stomped out of the work area after a shift screaming that we ONLY got so many numbers for the shift, even though our work load was very light that day and we did nearly all of it.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Can you say "hostile working environment"? I knew you could...
      This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
      I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I second that opinion. And I third it, as well.

This is plain outright harassment. Expecting employees to work hard is reasonable (if they're paid well.) Expecting all employees to best Superman is drastically over the line.
        Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

That's sweet. Being treated like a bunch of kids. & like a bunch of kids, they better not be surprised when all of you haul ass out the door never to return.

Comment

yea.... that's just down right horribad!! reminds me of when i worked at the local burger joint, we only had 2 peeps in the back and were scrambling to make food. the manager gave us "the compliment" as i like to call it which really isn't a compliment at all. she said " nice job guys, ya'll would have done great if you weren't 10 seconds behind on drive through...." I was so pissed for working hard and being so unappreciated.

So I feel your pain and people like that are complete asshole idiots usually with little to no respect for themselves let alone others. Just brush that off and keep it moving, don't let em steal your joy!

Comment

yeah today we got reamed out for our repeat customers again, all the minons were steaming mad for the ENTIRE day, I got the brunt of it because as a cashier I see the most customer.

The manager actually said "well the number you and XYZ coworker got yesterday is worth nothing, If you don't meet the goal that's what your work is worth, nothing. Im writing down we had this discussion so your numbers will improve"

nevermind that she admits I ask every single customer, she has a problem with the fact I won't push and push and push. She wants three "no I don't want it" before I stop. I am not a pushy sales person, never mind that my numbers are almost always the highest in the store that day for sign ups. If I am not first I am second.

I was like "okay you do that" then in my head I added MAKE SURE YOU SPELL MY NAME RIGHT!

one of the staff told me there is an effort to get her fired because of all the nasty things she has said to the staff, I don't see it happening but I will be reporting this and her comment to me and xyz coworker last week that she was "sick of babystepping you guys through really simple transactions" when we needed her help for something that happened SO RARELY the 2IC had to get the maunal out from the office.

BFFT tells me to quit, I will be as soon as I have enough savings in our bank account to cover my rent for a couple of months.
              I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
                Can you say "hostile working environment"? I knew you could...
                My thoughts exactly. Is there anyone higher up that you can report your manager to? She's not managing, she's being a bully.

I had a similar problem with an assistant manager who bullied me. I finally got up the guts to tell the store manager, SM spoke to AM, and AM backed off and left me alone. If your manager is the main manager of your store, perhaps you could contact corporate HR? This situation should not be allowed to continue.
                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                My LiveJournal
                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Why does it seem that your manger's motto is : "The beating will continue until morale improves." and she truely believes that in her heart.
                  I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                  -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Working...
                  X