This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Food Stamp Crazy

There used to be a WaWa near where I work, but they closed over half of them in philly so it became a 7-11. though I don't mind 7-11 I find Wawa's subs to be far better. this was the first time I went to this 7-11 ever since it opened a year ago, and of course the first time I go in is the day a crazy guy was yelling at, who appeared to be, the manager.

I wasn't listening for the most part. Living in a city you get your fair share of crazies and learn to either ignore them or call the police if they get in your face. As I was checking out though I found out what he was yelling about...

SC- crazy guy
    M- manager

SC: you see that word!!! F R E E means free! Those condiments are free with the nachos I paid for with my food stamps!
    M: that's not the issue sir
    SC: Yes it is! you're breaking the law and I know my rights!
    M: no, it's not the condiments, it's the nachos. Nachos aren't covered by foodstamps
    SC: since when!? I also get nachos with my card! you're breaking the law!
    M: the nachos out of bags that you have to prepare in store aren't covered. I can call the police and ask them if you want.
    SC: GO AHEAD! I know my rights!
    M: sir... it's simple... the condiments are free with the nachos... but you can't purchase the nachos with food stamps... so you can't get the condiments with nachos you can't pay for.
    SC: ..... oh.... you guys are stand up guys... I understand now.
    M: Ok thank you. But I'm sorry I can't let you have the nachos
    SC: WHY NOT!? I PAID FOR THEM WITH MY FOOD STAMPS!

annnnnd repeat the argument. the cashier who helped me was on the phone with the cops to get this guy out of here. he was incredibly crazy by the way he spoke and carried himself. the cashier apologized to me for making me wait and I told him I was in no hurry.

Oh city life, you're always interesting.

We'd get in so much trouble if we called the cops on a customer. Lord knows half of them deserve it.

Comment

I didn't even think 7-11 accepted Food Stamps for anything, let alone nachos.

Comment

Quoth jjc927 View Post
        They do now.

Food stamps can't be used for already prepared foods, like pre-made sandwiches, sliced deli foods, etc. The laws are pretty clear. I know that they're only get more strict, which they should.

Comment

Quoth jjllbb View Post
          We'd get in so much trouble if we called the cops on a customer. Lord knows half of them deserve it.
          Sometimes you have no choice but to call the cops if a customer issues threats of violence or becomes violent or does something that demands that a cop be called.

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
            Sometimes you have no choice but to call the cops if a customer issues threats of violence or becomes violent or does something that demands that a cop be called.
            And you get written up/fired for it too.
            Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post

Luckily for me, we don't have to call the cops, just Loss Prevention and they deal from there. Also that way a SC doesn't get alerted to the idea that police are being involved and that we are just contacting someone in management. LP is always looking for a reason to get out of their office and have some action
              "This job would be great if it wasn't for the f***** customers." - Randell 'Clerks'

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
                And you get written up/fired for it too.
                And then you sue the company for hostile work environment.

Comment

Quoth morgana View Post
                  And then you sue the company for hostile work environment.
                  "At will employment"
                  Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Kansas is at-will too. And companies here have been sued for firing someone who called the cops on a violent customer. And the former employee won.

"At-will" doesn't mean they can fire you for reporting a crime.

Comment

Quoth jjc927 View Post
                      Required to.

Just like my place. Boy are we required too.

Though we didn't have any hot food, I still had people demanding to use it to buy coffee, or medicene, cigs, beer.

The only confusing thing about it at our store, was that food stamps could be used to buy some energy drinks, but not others. So that pissed people off.

The bulk of my customers that had food stamp cards were the biggest assholes in the world, and half of those never deserved the food stamps to begin with.
                      Military Spouse Support.
                      http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
                      Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Bit of an emotive subject, folks. Just a friendly reminder that if anyone wants to say whether food stamps should be or not be, or whether there should be other controls on them, that's Fratching. However, if you have individual tales about how someone was sucky with food stamps, bring it on!

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Plaidman View Post
                          The only confusing thing about it at our store, was that food stamps could be used to buy some energy drinks, but not others. So that pissed people off.
                          I think it depends on how much is "energy supplement" and how much is "drink". Like you can get a SoBe with food stamps because, though it has a bunch of energy boosters added, it's mostly just a fruit drink. But drinks like Venom or Monster pretty much only exist to be energy boosters.

Tends to cause confusion with our food stamp users too, though it's rare I get anyone being sucky about it anymore. More often they're throwing a fit over not being able to buy fried chicken from the deli with it (they basically have a small, super-cheap KFC setup back there).
                          » Horse Words «·» Roleplaying Stuff «

Comment

At will is not a pass for treating people like garbage, regardless what they try to tell you. Yes they can terminate without reason, but people can still file harassment, hostile work environment, and such charges regardless. 'At will' is a state thing, while there are federal guidelines ALL businesses with x amount of employees has to adhere to. Federal trumps state.

And yes, I consider firing somebody for calling the law because they think they are in immediate danger being treated like garbage.
                            Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth KabeRinnaul View Post
                              I think it depends on how much is "energy supplement" and how much is "drink". Like you can get a SoBe with food stamps because, though it has a bunch of energy boosters added, it's mostly just a fruit drink. But drinks like Venom or Monster pretty much only exist to be energy boosters.
                              ).
                              You can buy sobe. You could buy monster, but not rockstar. You could buy Viso, but not Red Bull. You could buy Venom, but not Monster Coffee. (Which is strange, since you could buy the monster energy version, but not the ice cold energy coffee monster).

So yeah. Big confusing mess. Didn't help matters that it seemed to switch around month to month.
                              Military Spouse Support.
                              http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
                              Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Working...
                              X