This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Whiskey View Post
    Yeah if he got a job in an office, he knows better. In the most relaxed offices I worked in, I still had to swear slacks or a skirt. Jeans on friday, maybe.
    Mind, here (probably the most relaxed office EVER) jeans are fine and even shorts (!) are ok unless there is a client visiting. The point is, in the next office (which is a part of the same company) they test videogames and Wii games, so they might have to move *a lot*... and last summer the aircon went bust.
    Quoth LillFilly View Post
    Well, at least AH knows that they tried to help a friend. Though, I can see DR blaming him for not getting it...
    Oh yes, A. is a great guy. And D. - who is really only an acquaintance - is not too likely to blame him too much, I think. He is not mean or anything... just a bit "slow" at times. Still, after he pulled this stunt... wouldn't know. I guess I'll know soon, as I'm seeing A. tomorrow.
    FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

You're not a unique snowflake unless you create your own mould (Raps)

***GK, Sarcastro, Lupo, LingualMonkey, BookBint, Jester, Irv, Hero & Marlowe fan***

Comment

The 2nd laziest person I've ever known was a former roommate of mine.
      During the 4 months I put up with him, on 3 different occasions that I knew of he'd been guaranteed a job. All he had to do was show up...and he couldn't be bothered.
      The worst one: A friend of his father's owned an autoshop, and as a favor promised to hire this lazy asshole on as a helper, and take him on as an apprentice mechanic if he worked hard. He was told "show up anytime this week to sign the paperwork and you can start right away." He didn't show.

This same guy once told me he wasn't able to do the dishes because he'd been too busy....after having spent 23 hours straight watching lolcat videos and really badly edited anime music videos on youtube.
      Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
        Back to the OP. IMHO, DR did not want to apply for a job. He wanted someone to give him a job.
        I guess so.
        Actually I think he was looking for some "non-job" he could do for a couple of months before... no, I don't know before what. He'll have to work sooner or later, he wasn't "born in money" (even though we call him "Lord")...
        No idea, really.
        Quoth tropicsgoddess View Post
        Isn't there an old saying: beggars cannot be choosers? I mean, if somebody is in desperate need of a job, do what you can to get any job. No room for choice!
        Agreed! He said that he "needed" a job... I don't really know.
        Quoth tropicsgoddess View Post
        I've never worked in the hotel biz but to come in like you had a hellacious night at the bar or the walk of shame type of thing to an interview definitely gives off a bad impression. DR only has himself to blame for not getting the job.
        Quite, yes. I mean, he could at least have asked AH about how to dress... and I know that the dress code there is pretty strict, actually.
        Quoth infinitemonkies View Post
        The worst one: A friend of his father's owned an autoshop, and as a favor promised to hire this lazy asshole on as a helper, and take him on as an apprentice mechanic if he worked hard. He was told "show up anytime this week to sign the paperwork and you can start right away." He didn't show.
        Now, here I have a question.
        Some years ago, during summer holidays, a friend of my father's, at hearing that I was looking to do earn some money for a couple of months, decided to offer me a job (as a doorman in an office building, on a two-month contract). Point is, I had already found a job I preferred. Unfortunately, this man called while I was not home (actually I was interviewing for that other job) and my father took an appointment with him.
        Now, should I have:
        - called to cancel the interview (which is what I did, but my father was unhappy)
        - gone to the interview and explain that I didn't want the job (which is what my father was suggesting, although I thought that it would have been a waste of time for that guy)
        - failed to turn up (which is a no-no)?
        FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

You're not a unique snowflake unless you create your own mould (Raps)

***GK, Sarcastro, Lupo, LingualMonkey, BookBint, Jester, Irv, Hero & Marlowe fan***

Comment

Quoth C. Cecil Ivanish View Post
          - called to cancel the interview (which is what I did, but my father was unhappy)
          - gone to the interview and explain that I didn't want the job (which is what my father was suggesting, although I thought that it would have been a waste of time for that guy)
          - failed to turn up (which is a no-no)?
          Calling and cancelling the apointment was appropriate and professional, IMHO. You knew you had a job already, so showing up to the appointment would have wasted everyone's time. If you had not already had a job offer (say, someone said we're going to hire you, but hadn't made the offer yet), I would have suggested going to the interview anyway to keep that opportunity open.
          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Is it possible he did it just to convince some case worker he was "Actively looking for work" so he could keep the government checks coming in?
            "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
              Is it possible he did it just to convince some case worker he was "Actively looking for work" so he could keep the government checks coming in?

Quoth C. Cecil Ivanish View Post
              And no, he is not on benefits at the moment so he doesn't need to clock in a job interview sometimes in order to keep receiving them.
              Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

and sometimes people just go to interviews so that they can claim they're looking for a job.

one of my friends said he had a relative (possibly a brother) do that. didn't really want a job but he was being nagged to get one. so he went surfing first and then went to the bank to apply for the job... still wearing his surfing gear.

(the irony though was that the man doing the hiring was... an avid surfer. so.. the interview went rather well and he landed the job, ROFL)

Comment

I have an arch-enemy former acquaintance who sounds just like this guy. Been on unemployment for two years. My friend offered him a job at his workplace and free room and board, and he turned it down! I sent a nice little anonymous tip to the unemployment office about that one.

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                  and sometimes people just go to interviews so that they can claim they're looking for a job.

one of my friends said he had a relative (possibly a brother) do that. didn't really want a job but he was being nagged to get one. so he went surfing first and then went to the bank to apply for the job... still wearing his surfing gear.

(the irony though was that the man doing the hiring was... an avid surfer. so.. the interview went rather well and he landed the job, ROFL)
                  Ooo, Fate has a sense of humor!!!
                  Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Working...
                  X