This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power failure FAIL!

My lovely wife and I were on vacation on the east coast last week. On Sunday, we had tickets to an afternoon performance of an opera and we were looking forward to it.

Unfortunately, just as we were leaving, a massive thunderstorm blew up out of nowhere. By the time we got there, the storm had passed, but power had been knocked out for much of the area.

We joined a bunch of people milling around in the lobby, and at 4:00, just as the show was supposed to be starting, a representative came out and announced that, due to the power failure, the performance had to be cancelled. A disappointment, but not exactly a surprise.

As we started making our way out, I overheard a woman ask her companion, "I don't understand. Why do they need electricity to put on an opera?"

Right, because modern concert halls are not equipped with 19th century lighting technology. Very shortsighted of them.
    "Wouldn't that be unethical?"
    "That's only an issue for those who aren't already in Hell."
    --Dilbert

Those are the same ones that will call in and ask why their computer isn't working...

even though they've draped a tarp over the table it's sitting on and run some extra co-ax from the where the living room used to be....

(Used to be?--erm?...tarp?)

Erm, yes--we had a hurricane and the tornado that came with it, took out the living room, so I pulled the computer into the dining room, draped a tarp over top so any stray drips don't get onto the computer...

Now if only I had light, I could open this up and tell you what I see...

~headdesk~ YES..i took that call after Hurricane Charley....

Comment

Quoth freaktard View Post
      "

Right, because modern concert halls are not equipped with 19th century lighting technology. Very shortsighted of them.
      personally i would love to see a theater with a very old school set up, that would be fun and awesome!

Comment

I'd have loved to see a theatre like that.
        Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Which opera were you going to see?
          "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
          "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

"La Traviata."

We haven't been to a live opera for quite a while, so we were looking forward to it. We heard that power was out for two days, but by then we'd already left for home.

It actually would be interesting to see something performed in a restored old hall, with gas lighting and no artificial sound enhancement. I wonder if there's any place like that.
            Last edited by freaktard; 08-01-2010, 03:24 AM.
            "Wouldn't that be unethical?"
            "That's only an issue for those who aren't already in Hell."
            --Dilbert

Comment

Quoth freaktard View Post
              It actually would be interesting to see something performed in a restored old hall, with gas lighting and no artificial sound enhancement. I wonder if there's any place like that.
              I doubt it , all that more or less open fire would be an awful risk in a crowded hall.

Comment

Quoth Mikkel View Post
                I doubt it , all that more or less open fire would be an awful risk in a crowded hall.
                Especially since stupidity has been on the rise ever since the first opera hall was built
                Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Comment

<.<
                  >.>
                  Psssst! This is my theatre! We don't use much in the way of lighting, often just some torches. Nothing at all for the matinées.

Oddly enough, we're still not allowed to carry lit candles up on stage

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
                    personally i would love to see a theater with a very old school set up, that would be fun and awesome!
                    And dangerous. Gaslamps had a tendency to start fires. That's why they all switched to electricity very early on
                    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Moggie View Post
                      <.<
                      >.>
                      Psssst! This is my theatre! We don't use much in the way of lighting, often just some torches. Nothing at all for the matinées.

Oddly enough, we're still not allowed to carry lit candles up on stage
                      '

That's cool!

My college does (did?) a student-directed one-act play series every spring. One year my friend and I were the running crew (though the guys in the plays did most of the heavy lifting of set pieces in between). Aside from the smaller parts of changing the sets and controlling the house lights, we were the designated "pyrotechnicians"...meaning one of us sat off stage with a fire extinguisher for the end of one of the plays which involved lighting a match and letting it burn for several seconds.
                      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                      X