This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyperthyroid Cat

So all the tests are in for my 13-year-old cat and he's positive for hyperthyroidism. We'll have to start him on medication. He also needs a potassium supplement. Hopefully this will have some affect on his appetite and he won't be so obnoxious at the dinner table.
    My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

Hyperthyroidism? You mean the glandular thingy where it feels like you're starving to death? poor kitty, I hope the meds work wonders-- I've seen it in humans a few times, it's night and day! (mentally as well as physically)
    ... this might sound horrible, but I know of people who would just put him down-- "old and sick"== too much effort
    "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
    "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Quoth teh_blumchenkinder View Post
      You mean the glandular thingy where it feels like you're starving to death?
      Yes, exactly. That was kinda our first clue is that he got so demanding of food. We've never had a cat live past 10 before so we're in unfamiliar territory here. On the one hand, I'm glad there is medicine available to treat him but on the other hand it's evidence that he's getting old and we've had him since he was a kitten.
      My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

Comment

Here's a tip: If they haven't already, have the vets check his kidney functions. A wonky thyroid can compensate for wonky kidneys. The trick is to keep a balance between them so both the kidneys and the thyroid are functioning as well as possible.

Good luck with kitty!
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

My tabby (now deceased) was diagnosed with that. The medication mellowed him out nicely--before that I could not even approach him without risking loss of a digit. He lived to 17 1/2 years--well over 90 human years. Doing the math that was about 6 years with this condition.
          Last edited by taxguykarl; 03-07-2011, 11:47 AM.
          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Working...
          X