Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Art, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

Wonder how many paintings Creepy sold that day?

Comment

Grand total of zero, but he did enough ego preening for several lifetimes.
      https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

My mom is a quilter, and her quilts are sure as hell works of art (they've also won 1st place ribbons at the Minnesota State Fair).
        "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

I know how much work goes into quilting. Anyone want to guess who helped his grandmother put the squares together? Yep, that's what we sometimes did after dinner, usually to the amusement of my grandfather Most of her quilts were made from scraps, which had been cut into roughly 2-inch squares, or other designs. We'll put the squares together, and she'd sew them into panels on her sewing machine. After the panels were done, off to the church so the 'quilters' could get to work. They'd take the panels, and fit them together, add the edging, backing, etc. and it would be done. Even now, there's nothing like one of her quilts. So warm and soft in the winter

Quilters aren't the only artists who get the shaft. Quite a few model builders (myself included) are told that what we do isn't really "art." Again, quite a bit of work goes into each one of my vehicles. Yet, people seem to think that all I have to do is wave a magic wand, and I have a finished car. It sure takes them down a bit...when I open up a kit, and show off the raw, plastic castings
          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth Kanalah View Post
            All perfectly fine until he starting talking about how my art is just blankets and he has 2 gallery shows in local restaraunts.
            As an artist, I can assure you that scoring a show in a restaurant is not considered a major achievement.

Comment

Quoth patiokitty View Post
              I know how much work goes into quilting - I do some quilting but I don't have the time to devote to it, sadly. I am also considered to too young by the local quilt group and all I can do is shake my head at them. I told one old biddy that all these crafts would die out if it wasn't for the younger people coming in and wanting to learn.
              Whabba!? Umm, isn't this generally how the craft was passed-down through generations; the elders to their children, grandchildren, to theirs and so on? I think those old birds are just jealous of the talent and enthusiasm of a younger person, because it takes away something about young people that they can bitch about!!
              "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

I got a bit of the snobby attitude when I first went to my local quilt guild.

I was told "there's no way you make quilts, you're too young!". Luckily, I came prepared, with a big bag in my car full of different quilts I made just to show them that yes I do quilt, and I'm not half bad at it either.

Now they mainly grunble at me about using colors that are too bright or weird prints. But I did get one older lady to make a panda bear quilt
                https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Quoth Kanalah View Post
                  Now they mainly grunble at me about using colors that are too bright or weird prints. But I did get one older lady to make a panda bear quilt
                  My sister made a quilt for my grandmother that was 2" squares arranged in a diagnal pattern, with good solid colors alternating with black squares. It makes a surprisingly bold quilt that really catches the eye. I've offered her money to make me one, but after planning her wedding and sewing her own dress, she's taking a break from "her projects" right now.
                  The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                  "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                  Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quilting is a real art, absolutely no question about it.

My mother was an EXCELLENT quilter. I still have the quilt she made that I was brought home from the hospital in, and plan on bringing my firstborn home in as well.

My wife and I, when we were married, received from my parents a truly unique wedding gift - a massive (big enough for a California King) quilt. Despite the size and her on again/off again issues with arthritis, every stitch in the quilt was done by hand. It centers around a log cabin design, and on the outer sections, she stitched in American Flags alternated with the symbol used in place of stars on the Bretagne/Breton flag, as my wife is Breton/French. (Their flag is black and white, with the same design in general as the US flag) There were also Irish shamrocks stitched in, as my family has that heritage.

I never asked her how many hours she spent on that quilt, but I am sure it is in the hundreds. There's also probably somewhere around 30 babies in the Denver area that were swaddled in her handiwork, since my dad would always ask her to do baby quilts for his friends. (Quick simple ones, she could punch those out in an evening.)

The only downside? When I went into the Army (Ft. Sill, OK), I had a hell of a time getting to sleep on an army cot with two army issue blankets - has been the only time I've ever slept under blankets, instead of quilts. I was spoiled.

Comment

The last quilt my mother ever made is on my bed. I have told my family that if they decide they MUST ignore my wish to be cremated, they are to bury me in that quilt. Or I will come back to haunt them.

Comment

Quoth teh_blumchenkinder View Post
                        not only can these people not see the beauty in the 'mundane,' they have no idea how much work life was before their precious post-industrial age! They probably decided to slap paint on canvas and somehow manage to be worse than Pollock (no offense to Pollock, I actually think he's done good work making us all think and stuff!/short) because they're too dumb for anything else!
                        They have no idea what Art actually is!
                        They're just jealous, Kanalah. I hope you stayed hydrated...
                        EDIT: I am of the strong opinion that every single item in a house should be beautiful and enjoyable-- especially if you have money for it. I love the idea of adorable cheese graters, super-awesome-shiny kitchen ranges, and, naturally, beautiful quilts and pillows, just to name a few. It's your house! It should be pretty! :3
                        Another Edit: ! Creeper is creepin! :shudder:
                        LOL, my stepmother just inherited a Pollack that she's in the process of selling. We got to see it and we all kind of stood there for awhile and said..."um I don’t get it." Even my DH who went to art school. Its just not my taste I suppose.

Comment

Working...
                        X