This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LOLZ we're fucked

Because Pedersen's company is not the only one not thinking.

As I've mentioned before in other posts, my store is having an entirely new POS system installed. Gone will be our old cash registers. In their place each checkout will have a QWERTY keyboard hooked up to an LCD monitor, the cash drawer, the receipt printer, and probably also a hand scanner.

This new setup is apparently easier to learn, but training still needs to be done on it. Corporate allocated extra hours for us for training. Management, in its infinite wisdom, decided to bank all those hours for future use and just have people learn the new registers during their regular work shifts. So salesfloor coverage has been slim to none most days.

Further, the training is self-paced, but not conducted by any of the service desk people. They are around to answer questions if you have them, but otherwise are supposed to be doing their normal duties. So the training consists of studying the manual and then practicing ringing up items. After you complete this training, you will not use it again until the system goes live. We only have two of the new registers set up for training; they are only to be used for training and the complete installation is still upcoming.

The new system goes live June 23, which to all of you is just a regular Thursday, but for us it's the start of a Super Duper Uber Mega Super Stupendous Lowest Prices of the Season sale. Yup, corporate either added another one of those, or pushed the summer one up into June instead of during BTS. I can just picture what's to come: checkout lines snaking all around the store, customers' tempers shortening by the second as the cashiers try to remember their training on the new registers, or try to flag down somebody for help. Apparently, implementation of this new system has been difficult in the stores that already have it, so naturally we have to roll it out on the first day of a big sale.

What fun we will have. On an unrelated note, somebody please garrote me to death. thnx.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

New systems do suck, my store had new shiny stuff installed last year some time -- thank the Force that I was doing an overnight when the things were installed. Myself and the manager I was working with, were the only two people out of 25-odd employees who knew how to run those things properly at the beginning.

Course I didn't say anything until almost a week later, I let everyone think I didn't have any training on them.
    Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

That's pretty much how we learned our new system (years ago, now, during my first stint at Store1). We had one terminal set up in Receving to practice on. A manager went through the booklet with us and then we got to spend some time practicing on our own.

That little 8x11 booklet, maybe 15 pages, is now a whole "Learning Library" system of binders and workbooks (The only reason I ever read any of them was because I used to have to train people and I figured I should know what it was they were reading.)
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
      X