This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just What I Need...

I've been struggling to find work and have had so little money that I've been living off of ramen made in a cup with tap water. (Really good if you mix in crushed cheddar jalapeno cheetos, for the record!)

Yesterday my roommate got her monthly check and we had to pay the cable bill before it got shut off (I have a temporary work from home job through Valentines for a florist, so I need the internet). We picked up some Sonic sodas as a treat and headed to the next town over to pay the bill. Halfway there we hit a bit of slush and I had to slow down to make sure we were driving at a safe speed. A minute later I hear a bang and everything went to slow motion in my mind. I was doing math figures in my head calculating if I'd survive as my car spun into the oncoming lane (thank god no cars there) and then back into our lane and then spun a 180 as we sailed for a ditch. The car hit the snowbank and tilted down at a 45 degree angle. My side, the driver's side, was at the low point and the passenger side was angled up.

A woman came to our window and was tapping on it. I still had no clue what had just happened but she was freaking out, asking if we were hurt, and said she'd hit black ice. My roommate said she'd rear-ended us and that is what caused the accident. It was so surreal since I never saw an indication in my mirrors so the sudden crash felt like it came out of nowhere.

At impact my right shoulder popped hard in and out of joint so my arm was aching, and my roommate had hit her head against the door side window. We were both in a great deal of pain but my roommate declined medical treatment. I was taken off in an ambulance. On the drive over more aches and pains started, mostly in my neck and other shoulder. They took xrays but all came out clear. It is suspected that I may have rotator cuff damage and they want me to see an orthopaedic surgeon.

Since waking up I've found more injuries, a bruised wrist, a sore foot and backside, my lower back is aching, my neck is worse than it had been. Thankfully I was not at fault. I found out today from my roommate that the other driver was arrested after I left. The cops wouldn't say much but roomie is under the impression that she was on medication she wasn't meant to be on when she hit us. She was driving a rental car at the time, too.

I didn't see the damage to my car but I am told the rear panel crumpled against the tire and that all else is fine. Here's hoping this all gets sorted quickly, but right now I'm missing work hours that I desperately need because I can't old a phone and type without being in agony. Sitting at my desk and regular typing are alright, since my elbows are propped, but even then it makes me hurt after a while.

Ugh, just ugh.
    "Oh, the strawberries don't taste as they used to and the thighs of women have lost their clutch!"

I'm glad you're okay, Heksubah. Hopefully everything is resolved quickly.
    "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
    Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Just realized that first line made no sense. Was trying to say (and I blame the pain meds for making my brain stray) that with how tight I am, I hardly need all of this right now.
      "Oh, the strawberries don't taste as they used to and the thighs of women have lost their clutch!"

Comment

I hope they gave you some good meds. Good luck with the shoulder.

Make sure you document the time you miss from work. It should be included in your settlement.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

They gave me Ibuprofen, Norflex (muscle relaxer) and Vicodin. I have 40 bucks to last me the week and the cop still hasn't called me to give me the woman's information so I can't get a rental car. My insurance doesn't have rental so they won't cover it in the meanwhile. I'm too hurt to walk to the store. I think I'm gonna have to order some pizza just so I have food and don't pass out from hunger at work tomorrow. (I work from home taking calls.) That means I'll only have 20 bucks for groceries in the end. I'm so irritated.

Comment

Minor Update: The cop finally called me back with details today. The woman was arrested for DWI! Egads. Not only that, but she is my neighbor. I live in an apartment building and there are four apartments downstairs,she's across the hall diagonal from me. *facepalms* She's a young thing too, with a baby.

Comment

Is there a county/city food pantry where you live that can help you out? You don't have to be on government assistance usually to get help/food from them, you just call up and let them know what you need. If you let them know your situation w/ the wreck and all, they may even be able to send a volunteer with groceries to you.
              Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Belated Update: My car is totaled. The damage doesn't look bad...http://s705.photobucket.com/albums/w...cionDamage.jpg but one of the things you can't see is that the rear portion there is pushed enough that you can't even open the rear door. On top of that when we slid into the snowbank it made the hood of the car bow upwards slightly.

I've already gotten my payment on the car, and a new car (a 2010 Dodge Avenger in a gold khaki colour!). Beyond that, I can't really give details of the plan of action other than to say that I will be meeting with an attorney soon. Why, you ask? Because the woman was driving drunk AND uninsured. *headdesks*

Comment

If food/money is still an issue, Angel Food Ministries might help (I know nothing other than what's on the site, but someone here recommended them).

Also, I hope things work out for you at court.
                  What if Humans are just Dire Halflings?

Comment

Aw that sucks. I didn't see this thread until just now; glad you got the car situation sorted, at least. I hope your injuries are healed.

I got rear-ended about 8 years ago, and it totalled my car (in one pic, the angle makes it look like there is no trunk). And yeah, it just comes out of nowhere. I was stopped waiting to make a left turn, the car behind me zoomed around on the shoulder (and there is barely enough room there) and the car behind him hit me. 50mph speed limit there, too. Guy didn't have a license and was arrested. Luckily whoever actually owned the car did have insurance.
                    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                    X