X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Amusement Gal View Post
    Cayenne and Cinnamon
    While that might scare some less adventurous souls away, it sounds droolingly yummy to me!

What are y'all planning for/made for Valentines?
    Food-wise, probably going to be doing some work on my chili for a chili cookoff next Sunday.

Plans-wise, work during the day, have the night off, and either go to the gym and work on my chili, or go drink with some friends and ignore the ridiculousness that is Valentine's Day.

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
    Locking my ipod on "Love Stinks."
    Oh, you really should expand your repertoire. There are plenty of songs of that particular bent out there. Last year I remember doing a thread on that particular topic, anti-love or non-love songs. Just off the top of my head, here are some songs that either fit that idea or are just fun songs that go against the spirit of tomorrow's general theme: GNR's "I Used to Love Her (But I Had to Kill Her)," Transvision Vamp's "Back on My Knees Again," Nazareth's "Love Hurts," Heart's "If Looks Could Kill" AND "Barracuda," Dead Kennedys' "Too Drunk To Fuck," Offspring's "Self Esteem," Madonna's "Material Girl" (which is all too appropriate for some people on this so-called holiday), Pink's "U + UR Hand" (one of the greatest songs EVER!), Chumbawumba's "The Day the Nazi Died" (just a fun song!), Rage Against the Machine's, "I Won't Do What You Tell Me," Limp Bizkit's "Nookie," Beck's "Loser," Pat Benatar's "Heartbreaker," the Rolling Stones' "Paint it Black," Meredith Brooks' "Bitch," and Natalie Imbruglia's "Torn," to name just a few.

Yes, I think Valentine's Day is a joke. (Though I'd enjoy the chocolates.) But I will be celebrating tomorrow. After all, tomorrow IS Arizona's 99th birthday. (It became a state February 14, 1912.) Happy Birthday, Zona!

And those of you who have special romantic plans for tomorrow, ignore my tirades against the holiday and have fun. Seriously. After all, I am not against romance or love. Hell, I am a bona fide romantic. I just find the "holiday" ridiculous. But that's for another time, another thread. Enjoy! (Especially if there's chocolate involved!)

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

Me and Bill are just going to watch Man vs. Food (he wanted to see the show and I have the DVDs), and order chineese food. ^_^
      ......../\
      ....../__\
      ..../\...../\
      ../__\../__\

Comment

We're going to Five Guys with some friends. He has Thursday off, so we'll probably do a fancy V-day lunch then.
        "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
        Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
          And those of you who have special romantic plans for tomorrow, ignore my tirades against the holiday and have fun. Seriously. After all, I am not against romance or love. Hell, I am a bona fide romantic. I just find the "holiday" ridiculous. But that's for another time, another thread. Enjoy! (Especially if there's chocolate involved!)
          I'm with you about Valentine's Day. I'm married to the man of my dreams and we have frequent dates and a very romantic life together. We just don't like doing anything extra because it's Valentine's Day. Besides, every restaurant will be freaking packed. I'm making chicken and dumplings today and we'll probably eat leftovers tomorrow and maybe watch some Eddie Izzard or something. Our anniversary is another story. That's when to pull out all the stops for a romantic day together.

If you enjoy Valentine's Day, then just enjoy! Just not my thing.
          The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.

Comment

In the theme of music Suzi Quatro - Your Mama Won't Like Me
            ludo ergo sum

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
              Haha, yeah. You know, I usually don't care about it much in relationships either - but I'm dating the least romantic guy on the face of the planet. I pretty much put my foot down and said since he'd never made plans for us in the several months we'd been dating, or ever taken me out for dinner or anything, he needed to at least *come over* on V-Day so I wasn't spending it alone.

It's the anniversary of a friend's suicide so it's kind of a sore point for me anyway. I generally take a bouquet of roses with me to school and hand them out to anyone who looks like they could use cheering up, in her memory.

Eep, that was more depressing than I'd intended, sorry.

On a brighter note, anyone else who is cooking things should totally post their recipes here. I'm always on the lookout for new desserts!

Comment

im working 10-5, no plans, no valentine :P

Comment

I'll be calling my dad (his 71st birthday) and eating the chocolate my mom sent me, then going to work.
                  "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                    While that might scare some less adventurous souls away, it sounds droolingly yummy to me!
                    I was a wimp. I didn't put in nearly as much as the local Spicehound can handle, because I was low on cocoa powder, so I wasn't about to make it TOO hot if I can't even dilute it! But, the results were pretty good tasting for a wimp like me. He enjoyed them too.

Quoth Taboo View Post
                    On a brighter note, anyone else who is cooking things should totally post their recipes here. I'm always on the lookout for new desserts!
                    I've got...basic ganache (all for truffles/covering cake), one with a water base, one with a tea base, and a cookbook full of a shitload of chocolate/savory combinations. Choose your poison.
                    Last edited by Amusement Gal; 02-14-2011, 03:21 AM.
                    My only regret is that I don't have a better word for "F@#k You".

Comment

Quoth Taboo View Post
                      It's the anniversary of a friend's suicide so it's kind of a sore point for me anyway. I generally take a bouquet of roses with me to school and hand them out to anyone who looks like they could use cheering up, in her memory.
                      That is beyond sweet, and something I may do. The 3rd anniversary of my friend TD's death just passed, and this would be something cool to do.

But, keeping with my anti-Valentine's Day stand, I shall hand flowers only to people who are alone, be they male or female. Probably more female, because I am heterosexual, and most guys would probably be weirded out by a guy handing them a rose for no apparent reason.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                      Still A Customer."

Comment

Spicy chocolate is good. I got some gourmet chocolate from a small local store recently and I tried a chipotle flavored one. It was better than I expected, but a bit weird because of the smokiness. I think I'd like cayenne better.

I'm taking hubby to some motorcycle motocross stunt type thing next weekend. He is either buying me something or taking me out to dinner, though dinner won't be tomorrow since I have a night class. We don't do anything overtly Valentine's like on the weekend closest to it or the day itself because of the crowds. We actually don't celebrate it very often, since we'll decide to not do anything if he is out of work or one of us just spent a ton of money.

Comment

Ah 'Single awareness day'. Not much one for scheduling romantic gestures or such, it depends on the 'special other'. If they observe it, then I would, but to me it is just another commercial holiday.
                          Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

I've got...basic ganache (all for truffles/covering cake), one with a water base, one with a tea base, and a cookbook full of a shitload of chocolate/savory combinations. Choose your poison.
                            Ooooooo perhaps the one with the water base? Ganache over chocolate cake sounds lovely right now. I need to find some good recipes with caramel too, I love it but I've never been able to make much with it.

Quoth Jester View Post
                            That is beyond sweet, and something I may do. The 3rd anniversary of my friend TD's death just passed, and this would be something cool to do.
                            You should! Or any flowers, really (roses get stupidly expensive just because it's the 14th, hahaha). I just feel like it's worth it if I can make even one person smile that day, you know? Holidays can be rough for a lot of people.

Comment

So, we did our valentines day tonight. First we went to the carnival, and walked around for a while, but only rode one ride. It was one of those teeny tiny parking lot carnivals, but they have the one ride that every single carnival has. A ferris wheel. Many of you know that I have a phobia of heights, so as you can probably guess, I have never in my almost 25 years been on a ferris wheel. Fievel insisted I go on it, held my hand the entire time, and, when I finally opened my eyes, I didn't regret it. Not for a single second. Why? Because we got to watch the sunset from the top of the ferris wheel.

Later, at the dinner he surprised me with (nothing super fancy, Red Lobster, but still nice!) I got to expose him to something he's never tried, too. The joys of wood grilled tilapia and a decent California riesling.

All in all? Very romantic and sweet and silly. I couldn't have had a more memorable night, and I'm even more glad that we didn't do it on V-day itself

Comment

We are going out to Ruth's Chris steak house on the 15th, even though our anniversary is on the 14th because it will be less hectic. It seems to be turning into our annual 'date night' event = Which is fine, they do an amazing steak [as long as you ask them to leave the butter off it] and do some fine desserts.

We did have a nice quiet sort of snuggly weekend, neither of us felt too healthy so we stuck in bed and watched tv all weekend.
                                EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Working...
                                X