Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BF and I hiked in the snow on Sat (love my spikes), then dined on Field Roast Vegan Celebration roast and potatoes, maple wine. We watched "Grandma's Boy" and played WoW*.

Best V-day ever!

*leveled my 2 active sabers Only reason I'm a hunter....cats.
    "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
    "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

Quoth Taboo View Post
      Ooooooo perhaps the one with the water base? Ganache over chocolate cake sounds lovely right now. I need to find some good recipes with caramel too, I love it but I've never been able to make much with it.
      I don't know how well it'd do with a cake, since it suggest pouring it into cups and eating it, but if you multiply the recipe enough, I'm sure it'll work. Tell me if it works out, too! Never made it myself just yet.

Water Ganache

-8 oz of the best dark chocolate you can find (I used Ghiradeli(sp?) dark)
      -1 Cup hot water

Chop your chocolate into small pieces, or get chocolate chips. Melt them slowly over a stove or in the oven. Add the hot water spoonful by spoonful. Or, if you want to do what I did with my base, just pour it all in and wisk it good, since the other option is painstakingly annoying.

Best of luck!
      My only regret is that I don't have a better word for "F@#k You".

Comment

Quoth Taboo View Post
        (roses get stupidly expensive just because it's the 14th, hahaha).

I am the daughter of a florist (that owned a shop) please bear with me:

Roses are expensive this time of year, because
        1 - out of season (they grow in the SUMMER!)
        2 - min. 6 week growing cycle to begin with
        3 - all the RED roses get used up at Christmas (and now everybody wants them for V-Day)
        4 - in order to meet demands, the growers (in ecuador, and columbia, etc) are working over time; then the shippers work over time; then Customs has to work over time; then the warehouses work overtime; then the wholesalers work over time, then the florist not only has to work over time, but usually hire additional help, and the delivery drivers work OVERTIME

and everybody up the chain, from the florist back to the growers wants to get paid, and so they have to up what the next person down the line pays, in order to recoup their costs and on and on and on.... hence why roses in June are $0.39/stem, and over $1.00/stem in Feb.

stepping down now

Celebrated this weekend, but for Valentines, Friday night my boyfriend took me to dinner, at a small romantic Italian place; we got their v-day dinner for 2 special;
        when we were done with dinner he gave me my presents - 2 movies (1 i have to exchange as i already have it on DVD) and a gift card to one of my favorite clothing stores;we weren't ready to call it a night yet (even if it was 11pm) and so we went to a Dueling Piano Bar and sung along and just kind of enjoyed being with each other
        weren't sure if we had pregnancy-prevention type protection, so stopped at an adult store;

Saturday I made pancakes for breakfast, and bought tix online for us to go see the Narnia movie that came out at Christmas, (we'd tried like 2 or 3 other times to go see it, and missed out - this time sucess!) and when that was over he asked if I wanted to see Gnomeo & Juliette; we had discussed the possibility, previously, and there was a showing just starting, so he got the tix; its cute.

after the movies- food, and then because we were going to the Corset Ball at the Club, i realized - i don't have something "club-worthy" to wear with my corset; goodwill here we come! found a wrap-dress in black, with long sleeves that fit (10$)!!
        and then to the club (after getting ready)

He had to work sunday, but they close at 5; so we accepted an invitation to play pool w/ my brother and a friend

Normally I'm rather anti-valentines too; but this has been the BEST one ever, and that's all my boyfriends fault

sweet, w/o being over the top - and we shared the expense of the weekend.
        I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

Quoth Treasure View Post

I am the daughter of a florist (that owned a shop) please bear with me:

Roses are expensive this time of year, because
          1 - out of season (they grow in the SUMMER!)
          2 - min. 6 week growing cycle to begin with
          3 - all the RED roses get used up at Christmas (and now everybody wants them for V-Day)
          4 - in order to meet demands, the growers (in ecuador, and columbia, etc) are working over time; then the shippers work over time; then Customs has to work over time; then the warehouses work overtime; then the wholesalers work over time, then the florist not only has to work over time, but usually hire additional help, and the delivery drivers work OVERTIME
          In my neighborhood they're over $40 a dozen just this week, thus my vent. I get them being more expensive in off-season, but they more than tripled in price this week, at least locally. Solely a holiday thing here.

Comment

See for me Valentines is all about going over the top, you get to be totally cheesy and sappy and go places that you would usually think are too pricy. We didn't get to have our V-Day on the 14th cuz of working in hospitality and all so we had it yesterday. He made me pancakes and we just had a totally lazy morning snuggling in our pjs until well after noon. That evening we got all dolled up (I wore my wedding dress, which made me super happy that my wedding dress is something I can actually wear out) and went to a fantastic steakhouse, that isn't cheap but worth every penny (it was so good I made a thread about it in Praising), hubby had even aranged for a vase of flowers to be waiting for me.

Comment

I got a bottle of wine. I like wine.
              I also get to go out to dinner sometime this week or this weekend or whenever our schedules work and I can stay awake for a few hours. He's picking the restaurant because he likes doing that and because I want to go somewhere new. It's going to be Asian and sit down, so I'm happy.
              I might also take him out to a local bar and hot dog place that serves crazy types of hot dogs, like lamb and elk and buffalo before the motorcycle thing.

Ideally we wouldn't need to celebrate Valentine's Day because we'd do sweet things for each other all year round without prompting. The problem is that for the entire time I've known hubby, I've either been in college and working, or in nursing school, and therefore I've rarely had time to plan cool things to do for him. We can at least count on our anniversary and Valentine's Day as important days that remind us to take time for each other.

Comment

Quoth trailerparkmedic View Post
                It's going to be Asian and sit down, so I'm happy.
                Might I make a suggestion? Try Kaneyama. Favoritest Japanese restaurant EVAR.

Comment

Yesterday's big V-Day celebration: I made dinner - fiance did the dishes. I got him some candy and he's hitting the after V-day sales for my chocolate (I have pricier tastes than he does ).

We're going out on a date this Friday kinda sorta in honor of Valentine's but other than that we don't do much to celebrate it.

Comment

I just got an unadressed, unsigned Valentines Day card in the mail.
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Ooooh, Irv has a secret admirer!!!!

Comment

Quoth Taboo View Post
                        In my neighborhood they're over $40 a dozen just this week, thus my vent. I get them being more expensive in off-season, but they more than tripled in price this week, at least locally. Solely a holiday thing here.
                        Yes and no. It's basic economics. Price is determined by supply and demand. When the demand skyrockets (as it does on VDay), the price can--and will--jump as well. Since everyone and their brother wants roses on VDay, this does not surprise me even slightly.

Frankly, I'd be more impressed with someone who did something unusual or different. Not everyone has to get roses, for example. (I know women who prefer daisies or carnations or what have you.) Just saying.

I got a bottle of wine. I like wine.
                        Mmm....wine.....

I might also take him out to a local bar and hot dog place that serves crazy types of hot dogs, like lamb and elk and buffalo...
                        More mmmm'ing.....

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                        Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                          Locking my ipod on "Love Stinks."

Wait, what?
                          Copycat!

I spent the day helping my mom babysit my niece, which makes me happy! And I picked up a bag of Dove dark choclates for my friend. Since neither one of us is with anyone, we're each other's Valentines. I bought myself a Chuao Spicy Maya 60% cacao bar (mmmm, chocolate :drool, and a couple of slices of cake with caramel frosting.
                          Steven Slater ROCKS! So does James Jones!

The world is an asshole contest...and EVERYONE'S A WINNER!

Comment

Rob took the day off and we lazed around, and hit up Ruth's Chris for dinner, wagyu, pommes lyonnaise, asparagus with hollandaise sauce. Brought half of it home, planning on having that for my dinner =)
                            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

I spent the weeks leading up to it trying to find an expensive gift for my boyfriend. I found something I deemed 'perfect!' then realized it's illegal in New York...

Stupid SAP Gloves...
                              "Did you at least ascertain the nature of his curse so that I may know the monstrosity that I face? ... A GIRL? He was... Turned into a girl? WHY WOULD ANYONE DO THAT?" -EGS http://egscomics.com

Comment

Odd that you say they're illegal in New York, as the very Wikipedia article you link to says they aren't:

In the United States, weighted knuckle gloves are illegal in the states of Massachusetts and California. In New York, sap gloves are not specifically denominated as unlawful weapons by state law.[2][3] However, they may be unlawful to possess with intent to use them unlawfully against another.[4]
                                Next question: where would I find those for purchase online? I think I would rather like to own a pair of them.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                                Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                                X