This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congratulations on your win.
    1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
    -----
    http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Thank you, RP!

Quoth shankyknitter View Post
      I've never used Elk before but the farmer's market has it and Elk chili just sounds good.
      I've never used elk either, but I have a suggestion, which pretty much applies to any meat you've never used before: talk to someone who has, and pick their mind about ways to prepare it, its upside, its downside, etc. If you can't find anyone who's used it, get online and look for information on it.

It's always worked for me.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
        Thank you, RP!

I've never used elk either, but I have a suggestion, which pretty much applies to any meat you've never used before: talk to someone who has, and pick their mind about ways to prepare it, its upside, its downside, etc. If you can't find anyone who's used it, get online and look for information on it.

It's always worked for me.
        I have about 20 lbs of elk in my freezer right now,friend of mine got it.

The thing to remember about cooking elk is not to overcook it,since there's no fat it'll dry out.In a stew or chili this isn't as much of a concern but you still don't want to cook it as long as you do beef.
        "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

Based on what Freddie said, if I were cooking that chili, I would give the elk a quick sear on each side, then cube it up and toss it in the chili pot. Of course, having never cooked elk, or eaten it, or dealt with it anyway other than shooting at it on Big Buck Hunter, I may be way wrong on this issue...but that's my take on it.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Don't bother with searing it Jester,just cut it up & throw it in,it'll cook up just fine.Buffalo's good too,treat it the same way.

One thing I run into when I serve people elk or venison is they expect it to taste gamey,that only happens when it's not properly processed in the field.If you buy it commercially you don't have that problem,it's a very rich tasting meat.
            "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
              I've been accused of being many things, but modest has not often been one of them.

To be fair, I don't bother with false modesty, because I like being upfront and honest, but if I suck at something, I'll be the first to say it. So while I can be humble, modest, not so much.
              I use the word modest towards you...let me think...approx. every 7 conversations.
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Becks View Post
                I use the word modest towards you...let me think...approx. every 7 conversations.
                Which is amusing, when you think about it. Because I am not modest in either definition of the word.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                  Which is amusing, when you think about it. Because I am not modest in either definition of the word.
                  That's why it amuses me to refer to you as such.
                  Unseen but seeing
                  RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Although I got virtually nothing done yesterday, I DID get the recipes for both chilis typed up and saved into my computer. Yay me!

Still A Customer."

Comment

Congrats on the win! Your signature chili sounds YUMMY, and you get major points in my book for actually using a ghost chile (I gave a seedling to my stepfather and he just glances at it suspiciously every so often).
                      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                        Although I got virtually nothing done yesterday, I DID get the recipes for both chilis typed up and saved into my computer. Yay me!
                        Woo hoo!!!!!
                        Unseen but seeing
                        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Celebrate all you want, Becks. You're still not getting those recipes!

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                          Your signature chili sounds YUMMY, and you get major points in my book for actually using a ghost chile...
                          I didn't use ghost peppers in my signature chili, just in my Devil's Ass chili, the one that I built specifically to burn people. And, although I have saved the recipe into my computer, I plan on next time making the Devil's Ass even hotter. "How will you do that, Jester?" How else? MORE GHOST PEPPERS! And probably more habaneros as well.

Yes, I am an evil, evil man. I can live with that.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                            Celebrate all you want, Becks. You're still not getting those recipes!
                            *chin quiver*

*puppy dog eyes*

*sniffle*
                            Unseen but seeing
                            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I have four nieces. That stuff won't work on me. I've become immune to it.

Nice try, though.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                                I plan on next time making the Devil's Ass even hotter.
                                O_o I look forward to that experiment...
                                "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                                "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Working...
                                X