X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I got this email today...

I can't figure out if it's a hoax, or not. Read on:

Dear [my name],
    Our Company is a payment processor with services designed for international small businesses.

We have found your resume in Beyond web-site reviewed it and think that you to be a perfect candidate for this vacancy which we offer.
    Our Organization are now searching few qualified individuals for a vacant position "Check Assist Manager".

The main job of this position is to collect payments [ ACH transfers and checks ] from our customers in United States.
    Every transfer will be accompanied with detailed instructions.
    If you haven’t bank account We will help you to open a new one.

Average profit is $650-850$ per week.

Basic Requirements:

- at least 1-2 hours of free time per day for communication and other purposes mostly morning/business hours;
    - Willingness to work from home
    - Computer skills [MS Word] personal e-mail address
    - US Citizenship
    - Responsibility
    You may combine work in our company with your main job

ALL FEES PAID BY US

If you want to apply this position please fill registration form here

Anyone else received one of these? The link took me to a Germany company, Muller & Zoits.

I've received a few emails similar to that, I wouldn't apply - it reminds me too much of the Nigerian Prince email scam - they want you to call people asking for money, and put it into an account in YOUR NAME
    no, they should have a business account that you can access instead of "helping you to set one up"

and if anyone actually pays you, then finds out it was a scam - you're the one that gets in trouble
    I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

I wouldn't touch that offer with a ten meter pole.

It's likely actually a legitimate offer, but for an illegitimate job. Basically, you act as a local recipient of a check, you deposit the check, you forward the money to somebody else. Such tasks are used for money laundering, fraud, scams, take your pick.

Oh, and since you are the one getting the money, you will be the one being talked to by authorities should someone ask where their money got to.

Comment

I would say scam. I got so many of those emails when my resume was on Monster.com; they're even trolling Craigslist.
        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Scam.

And nobody pays that kind of money weekly to start for a job "You can do while you keep your regular job". They WANT you to keep your regular job so they will have some money to steal from you.

Comment

If it seems too good to be true, it very likely is :/

Rapscallion

Comment

Sounds like a scam to me.
              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

The bad English alone is a huge red flag. As someone else said, it reminds me of those Nigerian scammers.
                Sometimes life is altered.
                Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                Uneasy with confrontation.
                Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Thanks, all.

I noticed the incorrect English usage, but I'm so accustomed to it that I almost expect it from countries where English is not the native language (in this case, the company claimed to be based in Germany).

Comment

Here's how this scam likely works:

They will help you set up the account in your name, and you will start getting checks to process. As you process them, you will send a daily money transfer to the company's account. 3-6 weeks later, the bank will contact you to let you know that all the checks were fraudulent, and they want their money back. The company will have dissappeared with the money, and you will be on the hook for the fraudulent checks that processed from your account.

Red Flag #1: They want to open an account in your name to process the checks. If this was legit, you would work under their name,

Red Flag #2: An extra, uneeded step in payment process. Why pay extra for you to open checks, deposit them, then transfer the money? Most companies do that in-house to shave the costs. The accountants do that while entering the incoming funds in the ledger. They also don't have to pay for money transfers that way.

Steer clear of this one. At best, its you being a patsy for illegal money laundering. At worst, you're going to lose a lot of money you can't afford to, and maybe go to jail for fraud.
                    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

This is A SCAM.

Seriously DO NOT do it. The scammers will send you a fake check that looks so real even the bank will be fooled at first. It can take a couple of weeks for the thing to bounce. By that time your money will be long gone. I've even heard of people being charged with a crime for taking part in this, even though the whole thing wasn't their idea and they were sucked into it by the scammer.
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Don't worry, I'm not getting involved. I just hate it that they found my resume online, and used it for this. Fuckers.

Comment

I posted a few things for sale on CL, and am already getting emails like that. They don't even need a resume.
                          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

A few years back when I was dating the infamous Coward, he had been trying to seek other work and had made himself a Monster profile.

One night on the phone, he played a voicemail he'd received to me, and it was really shady sounding. That, and a few e-mails later, he decided to go back to the old fashioned way of finding work.
                            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth Eireann View Post
                              I just hate it that they found my resume online, and used it for this.
                              Well, that's how they find potential employees victims. They use a legitimate resume website to go trolling for people who are looking for work and, presumably, need money. It's an easy way for them to find a large pool of people to run their scam on.

You wouldn't want them to have to actually WORK to steal from people, would you?

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                              Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                              X