This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truck Cellphone Ban

I have often talked about my friend Frank here, and while he is a great guy, he can be very exasperating. This is not one of those stories where I extoll his virtues.

Background: Frank is on his phone a lot. Frank asks me for rides a lot. Frank almost always uses his phone when he is in my truck. Being the polite person that I am, I roll up the windows, turn on the AC, and turn off the radio while he is on the phone so that he can hear better. Though lately, it's been getting rather annoying, bordering on rude, and I have been considering taking drastic measures.

Fast forward to Tuesday morning. Frank calls and asks for a ride into town. Though I am running a bit behind, I tell him if I rush through my shower, I can do it, but, and this is important, he needs to be outside waiting for me as I won't be able to call him as I'll be on the phone.

Now, let's review. Why does he need to be outside? Because I'm running behind, and I won't be able to call him. Why won't I be able to call him. Because I'll be on the phone. Right. Logic even a first grader could follow. (For the record, the phone call I planned on being on was with my apartment complex, with whom I am currently having a dispute, detailed elsewhere on these boards.)

So I pull up to Frank's place, and am on the phone. Frank is outside waiting. He gets into the truck, and VERY LOUDLY says, "Good morning! How we doing?" Interrupting me on the phone. I curtly tell him to "shut up dude, I'm on the phone!" I could excuse that to a degree, as he claimed not to realize I was on the phone when he got in--despite me telling him ahead of time that that would be the situation--but I just could not excuse what followed. Seeing that I was clearly angry while talking on the phone, a smart person would have just shut up and let me talk. Not Frank. At one point, when I responded to something the other person said, Frank piped in, "Yeah, they tried doing that to us too, blah blah blah." I shot him a look of death. And had to ask the person on the other end to repeat themselves because I couldn't hear them due to my "rude friend." You get the idea. This happened more than once.

Finally I finished with the call, and ripped Frank a new one. How DARE he, in MY truck, be so rude when I am on the fucking phone when EVERY SINGLE TIME that HE is on the phone in MY truck, I am polite enough to not fucking interrupt him? Etc., etc. I laid into him but good, and he realized I was PISSED. Admittedly, most of the anger was directed at my apartment complex and the ongoing dispute, but that should have been a clue to him to not exacerbate the situation.

So I had been thinking about this before this whole blowup as a joke, and now I am thinking about doing this more seriously: posting a "No Cell Phones" sign in my truck. Aimed at one person: Frank. (Since none of my other friends are so consistently annoying and rude about this.) Of course, the sign wouldn't say Frank, but that's besides the point.

While some people might think this is a bit extreme, I would like to point out one simple fact: My truck, my rules. Anyone who doesn't like the rules of my truck is perfectly free to get the fuck out of my truck and walk or call a cab.

One addendum: Frank has known me 11 years, the entire time I've been in Key West. In all that time, and all my life, I have never smoked. And he knows this. In all that time, and all my driving life, I have never allowed anyone to smoke in my truck. He knows this, too. And yet, another time recently when I gave Frank a ride into town, he gets in with an unlit cigarette in his hand, and asks, "Hey, mind if I light this?" I shoot him a look of death that told him the answer. "Dude, what if I just smoke it out the window?" At which point I stopped playing the silent death look game and said, "Frank, have we met? Hi, I'm Jester. I don't smoke. I have never smoked. I don't even let the women I FUCK smoke in my truck, why would I let you?" Point made, cig was put away.

That is how inconsiderate Frank can be. To be fair, Frank can also be one of the most gregarious, generous, giving, and wonderful people on the planet. He just can't help the fact that he's also a diva prima donna pain in the ass. And yes, he clearly needs to get his own transpo, but every time he does, he runs it into the ground. And sometimes he merely leaves it downtown when he's too drunk to drive, and I have no problem providing rides in situations like this, as I have been on the other side of the coin.

Okay, enough ranting and venting....what do y'all think of the No Cell Phones sign?

EDITED TO ADD: Does anyone know where online I could find a small sign of this type that I could put in my vehicle, preferably one that I could put up or put away at my whim, rather than have it permanently mounted? Your help in this endeavor would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Jester; 02-26-2011, 01:19 PM.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Mount it on the inside of the passenger's sun visor, and open the visor only when Frank is getting a ride?
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Sometimes you just have to get frank.
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
        Sometimes you just have to get frank.
        Actually, I have gotten Frank. He was, as some of you may remember, the target of the greatest practical joke I've ever played on anyone, about a year ago.

That being said, I want something I can slap on the dash when he's in the truck, something small, and something either funny or to the point. Any websites that can be suggested towards these ends would be appreciated.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
          That being said, I want something I can slap on the dash when he's in the truck, something small, and something either funny or to the point. Any websites that can be suggested towards these ends would be appreciated.
          How about something like this:

and then you can laminate it and slap some of that adhesive paste on the back (over here we call it "elephant snot", dunno what it's called in the US) so you can put the sign on and off without trouble.
          A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

I'm a big fan of this one, though the site I found it on was a little sketchy so I'd look around for something similar elsewhere.
            Attached Files

Comment

Taboo, the amusing thing about that sign is that for years I've said "I only smoke when I'm on fire." Alternatively: "I only smoke when my truck's on fire."

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                Taboo, the amusing thing about that sign is that for years I've said "I only smoke when I'm on fire." Alternatively: "I only smoke when my truck's on fire."
                Haha, that's awesome.

Actually if you'd like to use that one, I can probably just make a simple vector of it and scale it to the size you're looking for.

Comment

Nah, that's okay. Anyone with half a brain who's known me for half a minute knows not to smoke in my truck. With Frank I think it was just a momentary brain fart.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Does your truck dash have a visible-to-Frank metal surface on which a magnetic sign could be placed? One like that would be easy to display and remove, but would be secure when in place. You might need to have one custom made.
                    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

do you know anybody that has a cricut or silhouette cutting machine? because they could whip you up a little magnetic sign in no time flat.
                      It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. -Office space

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                        Does your truck dash have a visible-to-Frank metal surface on which a magnetic sign could be placed?
                        No.

Quoth BarbieGirl View Post
                        do you know anybody that has a cricut or silhouette cutting machine?
                        And no.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                          At one point, when I responded to something the other person said, Frank piped in, "Yeah, they tried doing that to us too, blah blah blah." I shot him a look of death. And had to ask the person on the other end to repeat themselves because I couldn't hear them due to my "rude friend."
                          I hate when people do that to me. I'm trying to listen to one person, and I can't because I hear someone else trying to talk to me, i.e. "Oh, make sure you ask them about blah blah blah." Then I have to tell the person on the phone to hold on, yell at the other person about how, "I can't listen to them and you at the same time!", and then get back to the phone and ask them to repeat themselves.

Quoth Jester View Post
                          While some people might think this is a bit extreme, I would like to point out one simple fact: My truck, my rules. Anyone who doesn't like the rules of my truck is perfectly free to get the fuck out of my truck and walk or call a cab.
                          I couldn't have stated it better myself. Your truck, your rules. Bottom line.

Quoth Jester View Post
                          And yet, another time recently when I gave Frank a ride into town, he gets in with an unlit cigarette in his hand, and asks, "Hey, mind if I light this?" I shoot him a look of death that told him the answer.
                          I had similar run-ins with a few inconsiderate smokers myself, mostly my ex's loser friends. They all smoked, I don't, never have, and never will. Most of them respected my wishes, but there was this one that was a real bitch about it. I never liked her from the start. The first time I saw her, I knew she was going to be a pain in the ass before she even opened her mouth. She demanded to know why I don't let people smoke in my car. I told her, "It's my car and I don't want it to smell like a fucking ashtray on wheels. Is that OK?" One time when my ex was giving her a ride, she tried to be sneaky and light one up anyway. She's lucky I wasn't the one driving. I would have pulled over no matter where we were and kicked her ass out.
                          Sometimes life is altered.
                          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                          Uneasy with confrontation.
                          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

My mother used to have a sign up in her store (She also would sell them) It was a wooden heart, with country-looking painted letters.

"If we see you smoking, we will assume you are on fire and take appropriate measures."
                            https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

My mother smokes, I do not. We take her vehicle, she smokes but leaves the window down for me (cause me turning red while gasping for breath is not a pretty sight). We take mine..she doesn't. So if my own mother can't smoke in my vehicle, why in the name of sanity would I let somebody else?
                              Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Working...
                              X