This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mock court fun

In my court procedure class last night, we had a mock motion hearing as part of a case-briefing exercise. It involved a heroin bust and the suspect's lawyer wanted to suppress evidence (improper tow of a vehicle and improper seizure of a cell phone). I played the sergeant who authorized the tow, but as it turns out I never got to speak as one of the "officers" outlined the tow procedure.

The defense...to steal a line from Peter Venkman: "I think we've helped them out enough already." That kid was all but physically asleep in his chair and I had to point out something he missed (you know your defense lawyer sucks when...). Our professor--who's a public defender--commented that she's not sure if it would be good or bad if he went into law.

The best part has to be the judge, who dismissed the proceedings by saying "OK can we wrap this up now, I'm hungry, the cops are laughing at you, the prosecution's bored and your lawyer is an idiot."
    Last edited by Dreamstalker; 03-01-2011, 05:46 PM.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Was this a real judge doing the mock hearing or someone playing a judge? Either way, that's funny
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Another student playing the judge. I thought that was the best line ever to come out of a law classroom.
      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

That almost sounds like something Judge Judy would say...
        The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

*snerk* Nice!

Reminds me of a good tale on Li'l Sis. I keep telling Li'l Sis she should go to law school so she can get paid to argue all day. She'd be great at it. Anywho, she switched out of AP World History to the advanced class and there was this boy ragging on her about being a dumb blonde (yes, she's naturally beach blonde). Telling Li'l Sis she can't do something or isn't smart enough is a good way for her to declare hara kiri and spend every waking moment plotting your gorey demise.

The class project was a mock trial for Napoleon and Li'l Sis was on the defense. Idiot Boy was on the prosecution and Li'l Sis was determined he was going down. Long story short (too late ), Li'l Sis got Napoleon acquitted of war crimes. Idiot Boy apologized profusely.

I think she'd make a great lawyer.
          I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Working...
          X