X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another "Why I love my job" thread.

An e-mail and picture from one of my co-workers:

Dylan was the first wish kid I was assigned to. At 4 years old, he knew EVERY name of EVERY Star Wars character but didn't know what a wish was so we decided to wait until he was older.

His qualifying illness - a rare form of hemophilia - has done horrific things to him. His mom shared with me that when he was teething, his crib would look like, as she described it, a crime scene. His visits to the hospital are frequent and every day activities you and I take for granted are truly life-threatening. It's a genetic disease so Dylan will always be an only child and worse yet, has watched his uncle die from it. So Star Wars - all the movies, cartoons and video games - are a respite for Dylan. They are safe.

Right after his fifth birthday, Dylan was on the computer looking at Star Wars stuff when he first learned about Star Wars weekend (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/par...-wars-weekend/). His mom called us immediately and exclaimed that Dylan knew what he wanted to do more than anything in the whole universe. At that time the spots Disney holds for Wish Kids were already taken but we were guaranteed he was the first one on the list for Star Wars Weekend 2011.

On Saturday, we invited Dylan to meet us at Cold Stone for a little sendoff party. What Dylan and his family didn't know was that our friends at the 501st Dune Sea Garrison had been called to help get him ready for his big trip. Attached is a picture of Dylan with his new friends. For 45 minutes, he asked Darth Vader questions like "Do you remember when you were fighting and your hand got cut off?" He choreographed elaborate fight scenes with the characters. They were amazing and gave him their undivided attention - even handing over their weapons so he could "put them all in jail." It was a life-sized action-figure set and really a dream come true. And that's just the beginning. Dylan has his trip yet to come and we all know the incredible magic those trips hold.

So thank you - for all you do every day. And thank you on behalf of Dylan, his family and the 501st. It really is life-changing, life-affirming work you do. And of course, May the Force be With You.
    Attached Files
    "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

'Scuse me, I've got something in my eye....

That's beautiful, Sheldon. At the risk of sounding selfish, I really needed to read something like that to reaffirm my faith in humankind. And I hope Dylan gets to make many, many more wishes!
    The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Omigosh, he's cute as a button to boot!
      "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

Awesome, I love hearing about great things like this

Comment

That is so damn cute.
          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I haven't got anything in my eye. That water dribbling down my cheeks, on the other hand . . .

You and your coworkers are saints, Sheldon.

Comment

Quoth morgana View Post
              I haven't got anything in my eye. That water dribbling down my cheeks, on the other hand . . .
              darn those localized random roof leaks?
              Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Blasted allergies...in all seriousness, thank you for posting this, Sheldon. This was very moving. It's nice to see good people in the world, not just SCs and EWs.
                Friends help you move. Rare friends help you move bodies.

Comment

That's fun! SURPRISE STAR WARS! I'd be excited!
                  and yes, the kid's totally adorable!
                  "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                  "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

I'm NOT crying! My eyeballs are just sweating, that's all!
                    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Seriously, that's so cool. And I'm really happy not just for the kid, but for his mom who is probably making squeals in the background.
                      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
                        So thank you - for all you do every day. And thank you on behalf of Dylan, his family and the 501st. It really is life-changing, life-affirming work you do. And of course, May the Force be With You.
                        That is so incredibly sweet. Yes, I'm all teared up, too, and not ashamed to admit it. I hope that little boy has a great time at Disney World, too.

We recently had the 501st at our local Costco, raising money for the Childrens' Miracle Network. My son got his photo taken with them for a $5 donation, and he was such a happy camper! These guys do great work, and the attention to detail on the costumes is brilliant.
                        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                        My LiveJournal
                        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

A follow-up letter from Dylan's family after the wish trip:

I want to thank you for the wonderful trip you have gifted us. Thank you very much from all of us. Dylan says the Star Wars Day was the BEST DAY of his life.You guys are AWESOME and I LOVE you! And he will never, ever, EVER forget this trip.
                          We have taken many photos almost 2000 between our camera and my sister Danielle's. Danielle had even borrowed my mom's camcorder.

You and MakeAWish are truly a blessing. Everything was so perfect and a MAGICAL experience. Once I thought it was the greatest moment and his wish had come true, it went a step further. I couldn't control my tears when Dylan had the meet and greet with the characters. His facial expression was an expression I had never seen before. Unfortunately, none of us got it on camera , it was so quick and we were just as surprised as he was. In the video, we have the back of him and when he made the expression and got excited, he also did a little jump at the same time. It was when James Arnold Taylor, the voice of Obi Wan, Dylan's favorite character, said, "I have a bad feeling about this" in Dylan's ear. Ashley the voice of Ashoka Tano is another one of Dyl's favorite from Star Wars the Clone Wars, she did lines from the episodes with him. I bet Dylan was thinking, finally someone who knows the lines. Dee Baker (voice of Captain Rex/Clone troopers) and Bruce Spence were also surprises for him too. He was also very excited to meet Anthony Daniels, C3PO! They seemed to have a connection

We spent the 1st day at Magic Kingdom, Dylan rode on all the rides he wanted too. His favorite was Pirates of the Carribean. That evening, we visited Epcot. We were chased out by a rain and wind storm, that lasted for about 15 minutes, the park was almost closed anyways. The 2nd day was his special day. He did the meet-and-greet, received his wonderful gifts, he had a lot of Star Wars toys, but amazingly enough did not get any duplicates. He even received a lightsaber replica that he has always wanted but we could never get for him, THANK YOU. He walked in the parade, attended Jedi Academy (he enjoyed that very much, he was so serious), took pics and autographs of more Star Wars characters and made a lightsaber. He got on all the rides there also. His favorite was, Star Tours. He rode it 6 times. The scariest was Hollywood's Tower of Terror, because his bottom came off the seat! The next day, we went to Animal Kingdom, hit all the rides and went back to Hollywood Studios. Dylan"s choice, of course. He was so sad to leave that night, he cried and fell asleep.
                          The next day, we went to Universal Studios, Adventure Island first. Dylan loved the Marvel area. He went on the Spiderman ride twice, it was our 1st ride and our last ride of the day. We had a great time, we got drenched on the Popeye wet ride and the Jurassic Park ride right afterwards, Dylan loved the wet rides. We made all the rides Dyl was able to go on in both theme parks at Universal. Dylan loved everything, even the rental car. He made a lot of friends, as usual, at all the parks. All adults of course. It was a great experience that we all very much enjoyed!!!

Again, THANK YOU with all my heart. His wish, definitely, has been granted in many ways. You made it so special for him, this memory he will treasure for the rest of his life.
                          "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

What a totally beautiful story. Sheldonrs (and your coworkers) should be commended for what you did for this little boy.
                            "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm crying outright. Sobbing after that thank-you letter.
                              GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Working...
                              X