This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Architectus Assistantus View Post
    Due to how our windows work it is not possible to put any sort of netting over it.
    From this description, it sounds like your windows have a center (or off-center) pivot, so when it swings open, it sticks out both outside and inside.

A screen would still work, but you'd need to make a "box" that would clear the part of the window that swings inward instead of a flat screen like most windows use.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Or one section has a screen on the inside up to the pivot point, with a flexible 'contact' (like a door's weatherstrip) that brushes against the window when you open/close it.
      And the other section has a screen on the outside up to the pivot point, again with a flexible contact.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Would anyone object to you using citronella candles or incense? If it keeps mosquitos away, maybe it will work for bees and wasps, too.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

For some reason I had this mental image of someone herding a group of wasps into a small mob with a miniature crook. I'm immature like that sometimes
          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

We have a problem with wasps at our house. Especially around the pool. I hate the things. Once when I was around 12 some of our chickens got loose and one ran into an old doghouse we had that we didn't use anymore. I decided to just flip the top off the doghouse so that I could grab the chicken and there was a huge wasp nest under it. And of course I pissed them off and got stung multiple times. The arms, legs, back, head, it was horrible. And my evil step dad thought it was funny and did not want to get stung so he did nothing to help me. The old man next door was over there with us helping and finally grabbed me and got some wasp spray from the building in his back yard and ran and sprayed the nest and around it

You need one these to hang outside the window. Works pretty decent. http://www.contech-inc.com/products/waspinator/

Also, cucumbers will repel a wasp. If you can cut one up and place the bits near the window. If they buzz toward the window and catch scent of the cucumber they will go away.

Don't kill one in the office. We had paper wasps in our wall and vent above the stove. They were eating through the wall and made a small hole by the stove and were getting in, 3 or more a day. With 3 small kids and being terrified of wasps myself this was NOT GOOD!!! I killed a couple and noticed that more had started coming in and would gravitate to the spot on the ceiling I killed the others. I read that if you kill them they release some sort of pheromones that attract other wasps So I got a couple of cans of the foaming spray that shoots 20 feet or so and started spraying the vent from the outside. They come pouring out of the vent and almost immediately dropping dead. I got my childhood revenge, lol.

Comment

In a pinch I've used tulle fabric, it keeps out larger bugs. I put it up with duct tape, and can take it down at anytime with no marks.

Comment

Quoth pageantmama View Post
                Don't kill one in the office. We had paper wasps in our wall and vent above the stove. They were eating through the wall and made a small hole by the stove and were getting in, 3 or more a day. With 3 small kids and being terrified of wasps myself this was NOT GOOD!!! I killed a couple and noticed that more had started coming in and would gravitate to the spot on the ceiling I killed the others. I read that if you kill them they release some sort of pheromones that attract other wasps So I got a couple of cans of the foaming spray that shoots 20 feet or so and started spraying the vent from the outside. They come pouring out of the vent and almost immediately dropping dead. I got my childhood revenge, lol.
                Not unlike stink-bugs, then. Stink-bugs release their stink when they get squashed, and it attracts more of them. When I learned this, I told my folks right away, as we'd started finding them in the house. So what we started doing was grabbing some Kleenex, nudging it under their feet until they crawled onto it, fold the tissue around them, then flush them straight down the toilet.

We still got the occasional wanderer, but now the weather's turned warmer, they've stopped coming inside.
                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                X