Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So thick / oblivious you had to be taught the lesson twice?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So thick / oblivious you had to be taught the lesson twice?

First, I'm glad to report that I am not posting this in the roadkill section.

Today I decided to go to BK for lunch and the route I take (well, any route I can take) I have to go over a set of tri-rail tracks (two sets of commuter RR tracks).

As I was coming to them I noticed the gates were down and the lights were on, it took me about 20 seconds to get to them and come to a complete stop.

I noticed someone on the other side of the road walking with a cell phone plastered to his head. Of course, he decides to walk around the gates and starts to cross the tracks only to quickly turn around and run back. A second later a train going north speeds by.

I shake my head at the potential Darwin award recipient.

He again goes around the gate and starts to cross the tracks - cell phone on his eat. Then I hear HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONK

The guy looks to the left (north) and again, turns around and dives off the track just as a southbound train goes speeding by.

Seriously? You didn't learn the first time???
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

The sad part is that if Darwin was looking the trains would be stopped for a while due to having to clean moron chunks from the cowcatcher. I'd pity the engineer due to the trauma.

(I can't remember the exact time, but a while back I was told that most engineers in accidents like that tend to suffer from PTSD due to, well, turning a human into a bloody squeegie mark)

Comment

No cow catchers on these trains - flat fronts and the engineers are usually on the front or back, so it was a 50-50% chance of PTSD.

BTW - why do they call them cow catchers when that's the last thing you want it to do??
      Quote Dalesys:

Comment

In this area, we just had a truck driver decide to go around a RR barrier. Apparently he thought he could beat the oncoming train.

He didn't.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I believe it was to prevent the cow from going under the wheels, it does a lot of damage that way and can cause the train to go off the tracks.
          At least that's what they told us in school.
          Oh wook at teh widdle babeh dwaggin! How cyuuute babeh dwag-AAAAAAAUUUGGGHHHH! *nom*
          http://jennovazombie.deviantart.com

Comment

Quoth zombiequeen View Post
            I believe it was to prevent the cow from going under the wheels, it does a lot of damage that way and can cause the train to go off the tracks.
            At least that's what they told us in school.
            That's correct ZQ
            "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

I understand the cow part of it, I don't understand the catcher part - it doesn't catch them and you don't want it to! it deflects them, it moves them, it saves them, it plows them...
              Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Hooray! I knew growing up with my school by the train tracks would teach me something!

I think it's called that to catch the cow before it hits the wheels maybe? It was back in old-timey days where things were named differently.
                Oh wook at teh widdle babeh dwaggin! How cyuuute babeh dwag-AAAAAAAUUUGGGHHHH! *nom*
                http://jennovazombie.deviantart.com

Comment

I have a healthy respect for trains. Anything that can squash me in my car without too much damage to itself deserves that much. Last year, we had a pretty nasty accident as a carload of kids not only goes by the gate but around the cars stopped before the gate.

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
                    I understand the cow part of it, I don't understand the catcher part - it doesn't catch them and you don't want it to! it deflects them, it moves them, it saves them, it plows them...
                    Cow Saver sounds like a bank, Cow Mover sounds like a moving company and Cow Plower...well I don't even want to think about it!!
                    The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Quoth mikoyan29 View Post
                      I have a healthy respect for trains. Anything that can squash me in my car without too much damage to itself deserves that much. <snip>
                      QFE, QFT. Which also applies to semis, but people don't seem to grasp that either. Trains are MUCH bigger (usually), and have a much less chance of being damaged (unless it goes off track). See the mass? Respect the mass.
                      Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
                        QFE, QFT. Which also applies to semis, but people don't seem to grasp that either. Trains are MUCH bigger (usually), and have a much less chance of being damaged (unless it goes off track). See the mass? Respect the mass.
                        As my husband says "Yield to tonnage"

Comment

I tell you, to me it doesn't matter if that semi has the right of way. I WILL let it pass, turn, whatever. Yeah, it might not be right, but I've been behind the wheel of a semi. So..they get the right of way from me. I don't bumper ride them, I don't ride in the blind spot, and I will get the heck out of their way.
                          Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

one of the first things we were taught in germany was to never EVER cross the train tracks, even with looking. they were called 'silent death' for a reason.
                            look! it's ghengis khan!
                            Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

It's pretty rare for the train to go by my parents' house.....I just saw/heard one yesterday morning around 9 am............god that thing shook the entire freaking house.
                              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Working...
                              X