This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Shpepper View Post

For the record, at the boy's funeral, there were members of three rival motorcycle gangs. There was not one incident that required a police officer or an arrest. They came to support the family and to shield them from any hatred that might occur.
    That sounds like the Patriot Guard Riders.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I am a Fundamentalist Christian, so I share SOME things in common with the WBC.

That being said, I find them to be hateful, mean spirited, and disgusting. Protesting at FUNERALS is not only in bad taste, but could be considered as starting a riot.

They give all of us FCs a bad name.

SC

PS: I generally keep my opinions on religion to myself, being that they belong offsite, but I wanted to be sure you knew where I came from in my opinion.
      "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

Quoth BroSCFischer View Post

That being said, I find them to be hateful, mean spirited, and disgusting. Protesting at FUNERALS is not only in bad taste, but could be considered as starting a riot.

They give all of us FCs a bad name.

SC

PS: I generally keep my opinions on religion to myself, being that they belong offsite, but I wanted to be sure you knew where I came from in my opinion.
        Fischer, thank you for reminding us that not all FCs are attention-seeking hate-mongers like the WBC. But then, we here on CS.com tend to be very tolerant of other people's beliefs-- except where the WBC are concerned.
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Yep, I am one of the people that believe live and let live, and even I can not tolerate them. It takes a LOT for people to get me not to like them, but they have succeeded..in spades. They can have their beliefs, and I can dislike them with a fiery passion that would make the surface of the sun seem like Pluto.
          Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
            Fischer, thank you for reminding us that not all FCs are attention-seeking hate-mongers like the WBC. But then, we here on CS.com tend to be very tolerant of other people's beliefs-- except where the WBC are concerned.
            And it's appreciated. "By their fruit you will know them"--Jesus. And that's all I'm gonna say.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
              I heard the streets around Houston's funeral were going to be cordoned off for six blocks, so nobody who wasn't invited could get near the place. Good for them.

I still think that one of these days, those idiots will show up at the wrong place, somebody's not going to care about laws or lawsuits, and things will get ugly.
              it's already happened in some cases.

like when they protested a military funeral and found all their tires slashed. not a single store in town would fix the car for them. they had to go to another town for service and have the vehicle towed.

Comment

I heard about that.

There was another town where local people parked their vehicles at every parking space within blocks of where a funeral was going to be held, so the WBC fools had to park many blocks away and walk. From what I recall, very few of them came and they didn't stay long.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

How pathetic are they? The supposed pic of them protesting was photoshopped by shirley Phelps and posted to their website.

Comment

Quoth Shpepper View Post
                    For the record, at the boy's funeral, there were members of three rival motorcycle gangs. There was not one incident that required a police officer or an arrest. They came to support the family and to shield them from any hatred that might occur.
                    Good for them.

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                    I still think that one of these days, those idiots will show up at the wrong place, somebody's not going to care about laws or lawsuits, and things will get ugly.
                    And the chances are good that whoever does that will be the hero of the prison.

Quoth BroSCFischer View Post

That being said, I find them to be hateful, mean spirited, and disgusting.

I'll tolerate your beliefs, opinions and lifestyle if you'll tolerate mine. And since we've had respectful and interesting discussions before, I assume that state is likely to continue. So .. yay.
                    Last edited by Seshat; 02-29-2012, 11:52 AM. Reason: Removing some touchy material.
                    Seshat's self-help guide:
                    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                      I'll tolerate your beliefs, opinions and lifestyle if you'll tolerate mine.
                      This is how I approach any discussion or conversational minefield like politics or religion. I had a friend in high school, Jeff, whose political views were more or less opposite of mine. We ended up sitting next to each other in our U.S. Government class, and had some good debates between each other, and generally seemed to be tolerant and respectful of one another.

Until one day, when we couldn't reach a middle ground on some issue, and I attempted to move off the topic with a "well, you've got your opinion, and I've got mine--" and Jeff comes out with this flat, "Yeah, but you're wrong." I can't quite convey his tone here, but it was a tone that implied he didn't respect my opinion at all.

It greatly cooled our relationship down and I stopped having discussions with him, because it was hard for me to overcome that realization that he didn't really respect my opinion after all.
                      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                        This is how I approach any discussion or conversational minefield like politics or religion.
                        Same here. I don't tell anyone else what to believe or disbelieve, and I absolutely will not tolerate anyone else telling me what to believe or not to believe
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                          And, of course, it wouldn't occur to them to actually *gasp* go out and actually find some other way to raise the money.
                          What, and have to actually get a real job? Are you kidding?

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                          It's only a matter of time. When the courts ruled they had the right to destroy the spirits of people they didn't even know, over things that had nothing to do with them, they set up the scene for a very nasty show down.

One of these days Fred Phelps will bite off more than he can chew, and someone will make him choke on it.

Quoth Seshat View Post
                          And the chances are good that whoever does that will be the hero of the prison.
                          That person will never be convicted by a jury of his peers. National disgust with WBC is not unique to this board.
                          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
                            National disgust with WBC is not unique to this board.
                            It's international. Worldwide, perhaps.
                            Long days, short nights, a bottle of NOS makes it all right.

Canadians Unite !

Comment

Quoth taurinejunkie View Post
                              It's international. Worldwide, perhaps.
                              International is right
                              The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I don't remember if I shared this, but a few years ago I haunted a different forum. There were two posters who were always at each other's throats....completely different views.

They found common through their hatred of WBC It was actually rather sweet.
                                "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
                                "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

Working...
                                X