This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh NO, now I'll never be rid of him.

The "Best Buddy" (defined in my post in the List of Customers, and described in my July 4th thread) now recognizes me outside of work. I had to pop in to pick up one thing; as I'm leaving I consider swinging by the desk to grab my check but...as I look around the pole to see exactly how long the line is, I notice that he's there taking up everyone's space and time. He sees me, starts waving to get my attention (I ignore him somehow and do not stick around).

I really need to get J to print me up a few alternate name tags.
    Last edited by Dreamstalker; 08-05-2012, 03:09 PM.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

So he was back yesterday. Apparently hung around the store for almost 3 hours (A, C and assorted cashiers kept me running my butt off during most of it; I was actually encouraged to fetch items for customers at the register who forgot something and if everyone had a bagger C told me to stay in the aisles and answer questions).

I'm bagging for cashier "Cindy" and it seems like he's about to leave. On passing behind me, he 'leans in' (hard to do on a scooter, and I have an interesting bruise from the bag rack in my attempts to get away from being touched) and says: "Just want to say good night to one of my favorite ladies" I know Cindy hears this, and most of the front end does as well (manager A buttonholes him when he gets away from the registers; whether it was about that or something else, or what was said, I don't know).

Fast-forward to an hour later. I get back from break and go to do returns as J tips me off that there's a leaking 5-gallon water jug in the cart not bagged up.

And...he's there, blocking off the hallway with his scooter. Tries to talk to me as I'm wrestling with the water jug (all my attention is on trying to bag it while not letting it spill any more). Trying to get me to come to church, bible study and somehow he starts in about how the bible is right and evolution is wrong. I'm finally able to get him to MOVE by picking up the jug which starts leaking through the bags and barging through (which gets dangerous as while I do have nonslip shoes, I can't see where it's dripping and it's hard to maneuver past his scooter while keeping my balance and not dropping the water).

The good news is he was nowhere to be seen when I get back from that.

Comment

ugh I hate it when people don't get the hint that they need to just go away and leave people alone. I seem to be a magnet for those kinds of people myself.
      https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
      Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

It's ban-hammer time. Interfering with your duties, proselytizing, and the ick factor.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
          It's ban-hammer time. Interfering with your duties, proselytizing, and the ick factor.
          Yep! Time for management to put their feet down. The guy blocks isles and is a safety risk, what if the OP or a customer slips? Hello lawsuit from the customer!
          No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

You know, I'm rather clumsy. I'm afraid that water bottle would have slipped right out of my hands . . .

But I agree wholeheartedly about the banhammer. It's time.

Comment

Quoth BeeMused View Post
              Yep! Time for management to put their feet down. The guy blocks isles and is a safety risk, what if the OP or a customer slips? Hello lawsuit from the customer!
              That's exactly what I was thinking. Although banning can get tricky due to ADA; the guy is disabled so I don't think the store can ban him outright (unless there's a very good reason such as shoplifting). I'm going in early to talk to SM about an idea I have to streamline returns, so maybe I'll bring up that the guy is proselytizing and preventing me from getting shit done (I'm one of the hardest workers he has).

That hallway is supposed to remain accessible for everyone at all times (the emergency exit is back there, not to mention all the first aid/emergency equipment is in the office).

morgana, I was intentionally taking as long as I could to tie up the water jug before I found it was backfiring on me. If I had dropped it, it would have splashed all over him. That could have been interesting; no way for him to complain without admitting he was preventing me from working/causing a general safety hazard.
              Last edited by Dreamstalker; 07-31-2012, 08:15 PM.

Comment

I'd find out what the legal requirements in your area are for a restraining order. If he meets them then I'd get an order against him.

Comment

Also, stop hinting. Just tell him that you aren't interested in him and that he's interfering with you getting your job done/getting on with life. There are ways to be blunt and polite.

But honestly, banhammering him would be good too, because it means he won't be able to "latch on" to another poor girl who would rather be dipped in carbonite and deal with him.
                  If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                    If I had dropped it, it would have splashed all over him. That could have been interesting; no way for him to complain without admitting he was preventing me from working/causing a general safety hazard.
                    Yeah, that was pretty much my point.

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                      On passing behind me, he 'leans in' (hard to do on a scooter, and I have an interesting bruise from the bag rack in my attempts to get away from being touched) and says: "Just want to say good night to one of my favorite ladies"
                      "You're making me uncomfortable. Leave me alone." Look directly into his eyes, show no fear, no "maybe" in your voice. Act bored if you can't pull off confidence. If he continues: "Leave me alone or I will call security/the cops."

I deal with a large number of creepy people at work. Being calm and matter of fact about your expectations and the consequences works wonders with most of them. I'm allowed to actually call security, so doing that takes care of the ones who think I'm bluffing.

Comment

Working...
                      X