This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moral dilemma

So recently we had a substantial amount of money go missing from the till, around $1000 out of the till. We know it's a colleague as it's not a system error.

My issue is this, I have seen something that doesn't look right on CCTV that covers that till. Its not someone putting money in their pocket but it's something that at least warrants an investigation. My issue is weather or not I tell the superiors, I'm not a manager in anyway just a run of the mill salesman, is it too far out of my remit?

Plus if it got out what I found it would be made out that I'm accusing this colleague.

I'd say it depends on how much confidence you have in the superiors in question.

If they can be trusted to a.) actually do something with your tip and b.) keep it confidential who gave them the tip, then absolutely tell them about it.

If you can't trust them to do something, there's no point in acting.

If you can't trust them to keep quiet, then acting could put you in some danger, at least of uncomfortable situations, if not actual harm.
    The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Nobody can give you wiser advice than yourself. ~Cicero

See the fuzzy - http://bladespark.livejournal.com/

Comment

Do the CCTVs get recorded? Is there a tape you could point them to? Is there an anonymous hotline? Is this being considered a minor annoyance or a Very Serious Issue?

Comment

Any chance of reporting anonomyously? For example if there is a suggestion box could you put a note in saying "till X, Time Y, Day Z. Something wrong"?

That's if you don't feel comfortable speaking to someone about it?

Ultimately it doesn't matter what position you are in, as an employee if you think something fishy is happening its best to report it. The only thing you need to do is make sure if you don't do it anonymously that you do it to someone who is upstanding and won't threaten to reveal it was you or single you out for special attention because of it.
        I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Working...
        X