Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first sucky customers at new job...

I officially started Tuesday last week at Hardware Store, but I only started my actual job of working the returns desk on Thursday last week, making today my 5th day on the front end.

Yesterday, being Wednesday, was really manic and a bit of a struggle for me. Hardware Store gets a huge influx of customers on Wednesdays mostly down to the discounts they give certain club-members on that day. It also means a lot of returns.

To give you a build up, I am a newbie who has not been fully trained and getting a lot of difficult transactions. Up until the latter part of my shift nobody had been mean or unreasonable, but I did struggle- in the first hour, only 2 transactions were I able to finish by myself!

The "Pilot"

It had died down a little towards the evening, and I was serving a couple of customers. 2 in a row were older gentlemen who had faulty goods and I had turned to my supervisor to ask what department to call to get someone with more expertise to help them. However, my supervisor was also serving customers, meaning I had to pause and wait for a polite moment to interject. I said to both customers "Please bear with me, as I'm new, I just need to ask my supervisor..." etc. Both were fine.

The second gentleman, a lovely little old man, was fine with this, as I said. By this point, a short queue was beginning to form. I moved away to get my supervisor's attention but she was rather deeply involved with another transaction, also a tricky one by the looks of things. I was not sure who to phone, so I waited another moment.

Then this middle-aged man pushed forward, slapped a piece of metal and a receipt on the counter and snapped in a hostile manner "Well do you know what to do about this?!"

Me: *blinks* If its a straight forward refund, then yes.
    Mean Guy: Well do it then!
    Me: *icily polite* I'll be right with you.
    MG: (*can't remember what he said, but makes some rude comment about me being incompetent or something).

My supervisor has noticed, and is looking up with an unimpressed expression, probably about to ask me what is up, when I decide that I need to get this arsehole out of my line. So I put on a neutral expression and said "If you would come to this till then please, sir."

The older gentleman steps aside politely, already content to wait for a department person. He stands next MG, and MG carries on making rude comments about how I'm useless and I'm making a queue. He stands there saying "You don't know how to do your bloody job, you're just standing there doing nothing!"

Me: I was waiting to ask my supervisor about something that I didn't know how to do.
    MG: See you're incompetent! You don't know how to do your job!
    Old Gentleman: You don't have to be so bad-tempered to her!

I love that man.

MG is continuing to rant in the same vein. My supervisor has caught his words now, and calls across "Excuse me! She's new! Don't be hard on her, she's doing her best!"

I love my supervisor too. Not her fault she was busy!

MG seemed to accept then that perhaps a new staff member cannot be blamed for being new, so instead continues with this line of ranting:

MG: Well thats absolutely stupid! You shouldn't even be down here if you're new!
    Me: But thats my job, sir, to be here.

I am now speaking in a sickeningly sweet tone, as I am aware that this can piss people off and it amuses me I can't quite manage the sugary smile however. I probably just look haughty.

MG: Thats just stupid, if you're new you can't do your job. I am a pilot and when I was first learning how to fly they didn't have me flying planes!
    Me: Well, sir, this isn't a plane. Its a till.

I finish his refund (which was in itself exceedingly simple) and then he walked off.

I rolled my eyes at his back which made the little old men and ladies burst into titters. They all were quite sympathetic, and I thanked the old man who had been waiting.

My supervisor gave me the numbers I needed, everyone else got seen to, all were happy My supervisor was very annoyed on my behalf!

"Stanley"

This happened today.

I used to work in a very impoverished district in my town, known notoriously for its high level of theft. Shoplifters and violent junkies were just part of life down there. We managed to avoid confrontation most of the time by being wary, savvy and knowing when to let things go. This still surprised me though.

I can't entirely remember the problem. I think it was something involving a buggered up refund or severe overcharge...I think it was the latter, as it apparently involved a self-service checkout. I think the guy had accidentally been overcharged for an item, and was charged £999 for a £9.99 item.

Well my 2 supervisors were dealing with him, while I was standing nearby, as it was quiet. I think it was a straight-forward fix but he started to speak belligerently. I started to pay attention and it seemed it was more about the fact that they were refunding the WHOLE cost and not letting him keep the item he bought. Apparently, it should never have been sold to him in the first place, as it was a "trade" item, which means only a company or someone buying for a company can buy it. You have to have the right card for it etc.

This item that he desired so much? A tape measure.

A fucking. Tape. Measure.

"I want THAT one, not ANOTHER one!" he kept snapping. They kept trying to explain that he should never have been sold it, that it should never have even gone through the till. He was demanding goodwill, and they kept saying it just couldn't be done! They were offering him domestic alternatives (some cheaper), but nuuuu. HE HAD TO HAVE THAT ONE!

There was a packaged Stanley knife on the counter, and he picked it up and started making a show of holding it, and said several times "You're stupid to argue with me, I have a knife! You should do what I want, because I'm holding a knife."

He was very aggressive and belligerent, but I felt he was trying to make a bad-taste joke. However, I held back the urge to snap "At my last job I WAS threatened with a knife, so thats not funny!" Lets face it, he was definately an arsehole and not going to suddenly become sympathetic.

One of the supervisors got him down the Trade area, mainly just to get him away from us. I don't know if his issue was resolved or not.

My supervisors said they weren't personally bothered by his comments, but they also felt he hadn't been joking. I've been told that if I encounter anything like that when I'm alone, I'm to hit the panic button.

I could have written that first story. My very first job was at a hardware store in north london and exactly the same things used to happen. I bet you work for the same chain i did too- does the name consist of two capital letters and an ampersand?

Comment

Quoth Little Retail Rabbit View Post

MG: Thats just stupid, if you're new you can't do your job. I am a pilot and when I was first learning how to fly they didn't have me flying planes!
      Me: Well, sir, this isn't a plane. Its a till.
      making a mistake on a till is easily corrected ( worst comes to worst, refund the transaction and ring it up correctly) and only costs money at worst. making a mistake flying a plane, and you can get a Powered Flight Into Terrain. ( I don't think I need to translate that technical term) so i think your reaction was brilliant there.

and if this guy IS a pilot, I hope I'm never in a plane piloted by him. thinking as plane is as difficult ass a till to operate. *shudder*

Comment

That is interesting. The Army Air Corp put my father in a plane (he didn't even have a drivers license) and told him "You'll learn to fly this thing or you'll be a foot soldier!"

There was a packaged Stanley knife on the counter, and he picked it up and started making a show of holding it, and said several times "You're stupid to argue with me, I have a knife! You should do what I want, because I'm holding a knife."
        Someone should have come up behind him and clocked him, and the police called. Threats like tat should not be taken lightly.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Or "OK sir, if you want to keep that tape measure then there is no need for us to complete this refund, you have yourself a super-fine day!"

Comment

This item that he desired so much? A tape measure.

"I want THAT one, not ANOTHER one!" he kept snapping.
            That must have been some fancy tape measure. What kind was it?
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Bwah? *goes to look at log book then comes back* Aw man I must be doing it wrong then. Learning to fly while flying a plane, how silly for me to learn that way.

*hug* Little Rabbit you did a great job handling all that, far better then I think I would have.

Btw I think its kinda cool you sell Stanley stuff, the company was founded near me.
              I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

Quoth sstabeler View Post
                making a mistake flying a plane, and you can get a Powered Flight Into Terrain.
                The NTSB calls it "CFIT"

or "Controlled Flight Into Terrain" essentaily, it means there was nothing wrong with the aircraft, the pilot(s) simply flew it into the ground
                Last edited by Dave1982; 05-04-2012, 09:42 PM. Reason: broken quote tag
                - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

so basically he threatened you while holding a knife.

that doesn't sound like a joke to me. sounds more like he wanted to intimidate you. and personally i think your boss should have kicked him off the premises right then and there.

Comment

If someone did something like that where I work they would be leaving the store in handcuffs. No any of the managers would allow that type of behavior from a customer.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                      Quoth sstabeler View Post
                      making a mistake flying a plane, and you can get a Powered Flight Into Terrain.
                      The NTSB calls it "CFIT"

or "Controlled Flight Into Terrain" essentaily, it means there was nothing wrong with the aircraft, the pilot(s) simply flew it into the ground
                      Exactly. ( you're probably right about the term, since I don't know that much about planes. I've played a few flight games, ( CFIT was usually the result, since i could never get the hang of the controls) but that's it.)

As for the knife, WTF? why did the supervisor not call the police if they thought the guy was actually threatening you with a knife?

Comment

"Stanley"

He was very aggressive and belligerent, but I felt he was trying to make a bad-taste joke. However, I held back the urge to snap "At my last job I WAS threatened with a knife, so thats not funny!" Lets face it, he was definately an arsehole and not going to suddenly become sympathetic.

One of the supervisors got him down the Trade area, mainly just to get him away from us. I don't know if his issue was resolved or not.

My supervisors said they weren't personally bothered by his comments, but they also felt he hadn't been joking. I've been told that if I encounter anything like that when I'm alone, I'm to hit the panic button.

Why the name of all that's holy did someone not call the cops?!

Comment

The "Pilot"
                          This man is not a pilot and has likely never been up in a plane. You don't even need a licence to be able to be given control of a plane; I've "flown" for hours, starting at the age of 14 - I've never taken off or landed, but I've had control all the time in the air. If you can't do that, there's no point in taking you through the ground exercises!
                          This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                          I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

(No police call was made likely because the knife was still packaged. I woulda been on that panic button and grabbing for our under-the-counter mallet if it had been unwrapped!).

(And yes, the store is the one with an ampersand in its name )

BIG UPDATE

Turns out I know exactly what the issue leading right up to the "Stanley" story was! And would any of you be at ALL surprised to learn it wasn't our fault at all?

I'm sure none of you will be...

Yes, he bought this overly expensive Trade Point tape measure at the self-service checkout. Yes it should not have been sold to him at all, but then again he was at self-service, easy enough to slip through.

I can't tell you what the brand of this tape measure is or exactly why it deserves such a price tag, but it turns out that the "overcharge" was not an overcharge at all. It was the right price.

He just wasn't paying attention to the screen when he bought it, and realised later he'd been charged (I can't remember exactly if it was £99.99 or £999, even though I think I said in the OP the latter...all I know was there were multiple nines and it WAS super expensive ).

So apart from the fact that he shouldn't have been able to put his hands on the item in the first place (it was likely placed in the wrong place by staff), this was not out fault at all.

But of course, he was more than happy to yell at us, say we ought to give him said tape-measure at a much much lower price as "good will" for his "inconvenience" and was so hacked off by "our" fuck up, started to make threats with a knife

So he was even more of a prick that first thought! I am just soooo surprised to learn this, howabout you guys? :P

My fiance was PISSED when he found out! I won't lie, it did cross my mind later that I could have gotten that mallet and smacked it down on his hand and say "Awwww, how you gonna hold your little knife now?" I have a feeling I would be sacked for it, but my name would go down in the store's history as some kinda Mallet-weilding hero

Comment

...I could have gotten that mallet and smacked it down on his hand...
                              Bang! Bang! Rabbit's rubber mallet came down on his ...
                              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                              X