Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Section 3 (Background and Out of Character)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(Yeah, sorry about the Uberpost... )
    Like I said, some things will have to change. Given the examples I listed, she could probably cause about 5 guns to malfunction, depending on the type of gun, weather, and how badly she wants it (as in OHGODTHEYREABOUTTOKILLMEEEEPANIC-- she'd probably explode a gun outright, mostly by accident, kill the due holding it, and make some of the others black out or be really scared, just like she's really scared. And then she'd either freak out or be all wobbly, or both. Most likely be useless for the rest of the day, good luck getting information from her. Granted, the other 4 would probably run away at that point/get caught in the explosion, depending on grouping... ) If she took her time, was chill, and was zen, she could probably minimally, permanently disable ... 20 guns-- as in like, "there's a notch just big enough on the inside of the barrel that it won't work," sort of a thing, before she'd run up against that wall.
    She won't be manipulating Nodes any time soon. Tapping one right now would probably kill her (gosquish). Nor will she be splitting atoms any time soon. Like Mage, it'll be very situational. I'm thinking of making a Mana system for approximation...
    EDIT: the rules for the lower spheres don't even really apply... seeing as there isn't that system of magic as far as I know in this world. So, telling if someone was messing with it wouldn't be useful, for example. Nor are there Nodes. meh. it's more like she's a matter/prime mage right now, the more subtle ideas and effects and reasons won't be seen until later/in practice. Also, that dog she made run away? Died of a brain aneurysm about two hours later. Thoughts: teeny-weeny.
    Last edited by teh_blumchenkinder; 03-16-2011, 03:22 AM. Reason: Spheres?
    "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
    "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Ok a lot of ground to cover this post may be edited a few times before I get to everything please be patient. .

Kanalah - Just about any power is possible, but I reserve the right to nix, alter, or limit especially if overpowered.

teh_blumchenkinder I have no problem with the ability. All I ask is that it never gets out of hand..like say turning all of New York into cotton candy or anything (ie no splitting atoms hehe). Also, how is the character associated with the government? . Keep in mind "Behind bars" is acceptable (ie a criminal). I'm not sure what you mean by posting limits..if the forum will let you and you want to have each post be on the level of the Illiad..go for it. If you mean power limits..Jean Grey can be a good example. When she first started out, but before she went Phoenix.

Everybody else, everything sounds good..you might want to add an 'active' power though (though telekinesis counts ) ..totally up to you. Remember you may be going up against people who can shoot fire from their hands...or throw the empire state building...the 'bad guys' will not always be stronger then the group, but some of the 'main antagonist' will be. Of course since there will be 'back up' (ie npcs) helping you..it's not critical to add any powers. Also I will scale things to the powers involved.

About weaknesses. Pretty much the limits of the power, anything that will stop/block/weaken the power OR the person. IE Kryptonite will Weaken Superman...and theoretically kill him. Green lantern had the color Yellow, etc.
      Hmm I think I am forgetting something....

Edit : Also we use this thread for questions, general chit-chat, things done outside of the character. When you have something that is 'out of character' in the actual roleplay thread please include it in (()), and try to limit doing so as much as possible. I need a volunteer for my first post, who thinks their character is ready. Recruiting for Section 3 is about to commence.

Edit 2 : Though I gotta admit this is a refreshing change from the last game. Everybody had to be stronger then the guy before them... So the current power levels are perfectly acceptable.
      Last edited by Mytical; 03-16-2011, 04:34 AM.
      Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Kay, been at work, but want in on this too.

True Name: Robert Miller
        Country of Origin: United States
        Nickname (if any): None
        Powers: Flight and force fields. He can also release a blast of energy, but hasn't learned any fine control over it and is more likely to hurt himself or bystanders than anyone he tries to aim it at, and has the ability to sense electric fields (like a shark).
        Abilities: Training in electronics and computer programming.
        Weaknesses: His powers are based on electromagnetics, and he can't project them through anything that serves as an EM barrier, such as a Faraday cage. Furthermore, powerful outside sources of EM will disrupt and possibly overpower his own, and can cause him actual physical discomfort through overloading his enhanced senses. (Basically, he'd probably have a headache standing under high-tension power lines, and a severe one along with trouble concentrating on his powers standing next to a substation. And if the military wants to knock him out of the sky, all they need to do is target him with ship-based radar.)
        Description: White hair and pale blue eyes, rather pale and slim, but fit. Aside from hair and eyes, very nondescript appearance. Rob's hair and eyes were both originally brown, but his eyes faded to blue not long after his powers first developed, and his hair went white and remained that way after his first use of his energy blast.
        Apparent age: Mid-20s
        Real Age: 24

Rob was a government contractor, primarily setting up large computer networks and working on hardware problems. He lost that job after his powers suddenly triggered for the first time in the middle of a project and the magnetic field he projected simultaneously wiped an entire network's hard drives. He has since learned that he needs to keep careful control of his powers when near any unshielded electronics. This has made programming rather difficult for him, and between that and accidentally deleting most of his video games in a moment of frustration, he's in desperate need of new hobbies.
        Last edited by KabeRinnaul; 03-16-2011, 04:58 AM.
        » Horse Words «·» Roleplaying Stuff «

Comment

Hm...I'd be willing to take first post if you want it up soon. I'm going to bed shortly. And considering adding some sort of mental clouding/illusion type thing for powers, but thinking that will develop over the course of using her powers.
          My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Well I would prefer to post the first introductory post, would you mind me having it focused on your character? Then you would get the first 'response' post. (Ie won't control your character, just need to 'recruit' them).
            Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Go for it. If I don't reply tonight, I'll do so when I wake up tomorrow or when I get a moment at work.
              My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

It's a bit short, but I have to do a 'recruiting' post for all of the characters . Allow me to introduce....

Gemini

True Name:Alexis Romonov
                Country of Origin: Russia
                Nickname (if any): Gemini 1
                Powers: Think a non green skin, petite incredible hulk (though her strength limit would be nowhere near as high)
                Ability : Military knowledge (weapons, etc)
                Weaknesses: Weakness to mental powers, more so then 'normal people'
                Description: 5'5", Black hair with white stars, dark eyes.
                Apparent age : 25
                Real Age: She is actually a lot older then she looks she was 20 during 'Chernobyl'..which unlike most mutants now is when she and her brother got her abilities.

True Name : Alex Romonov
                Country of Origin : Russia
                Nickname (If any): Gemini 2
                Powers : Sensing of mutant abilities, spacial awareness (pretty much impossible to sneak up on even if normally stealthed/invisible, etc), and draining of powers (which he can then use)
                Ability : Scientist.
                Weakness : It takes time for him to drain abilities, and he can not hold them long. He is as vulnerable as any human when he hasn't drained any other powers (or when those he drains fades). He is also a '90 lb weakling'.
                Description : 5'3", very thin/sickly looking. Black Hair with white stars, dark eyes.
                Apparent age: 25
                Real Age: Same as Alexis

Special : They both posses special suits that not only allow flight, provide some protection, and mask their identity..but are specially built so that it makes both of them identical..ie it is impossible to tell which is which with the suits on.
                Last edited by Mytical; 03-16-2011, 06:02 AM.

Comment

Just remember there is no time limit on replies or anything. Those few replies we had, though there were a lot of them, would take up like 2 minutes game time. So it may seem like a lot, but very little actually transpired.

Keeping track of 'character time' is the big part. Some characters might be days ahead of or days behind other characters (the one disadvantage of forum roleplays over table top).

So..who volunteers to be my next 'recruitment' victim? (no not all recruitments will be identical

Comment

Oo! Oo! Me next me next!
                    also, I figure she could have applied, but word hasn't gotten back to her she's been accepted as a minion-translator in the bowels of some military base, thanks to her father, mostly, but don't tell her that or she and Daddy might-- might have a falling out of sorts. She adores him, but still wants to do her life on her own, much like he did. (which, granted, he had help, but she hasn't quite gotten that yet.)
                    Also, what city/cities is this taking place in? Yeah, it's now fictionalized... but still.
                    EDIT: what time of day does said recruiter arrive? >_>
                    Last edited by teh_blumchenkinder; 03-16-2011, 06:07 AM.
                    "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                    "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Well the headquarters will be on a 'secret island' but the recruiter/s will go to whatever state/city/country the character is in. As for when they arrive, usually of a morning. Of course your 'recruiters' are not going to be Gemini...they are otherwise occupied..so time to introduce yet another 'team' of NPC's. Also, it's kind of hard to submit a application to a place nobody knows exists . You don't find them, they find you hehe.
                      Last edited by Mytical; 03-16-2011, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
                        teh_blumchenkinder I have no problem with the ability. All I ask is that it never gets out of hand..like say turning all of New York into cotton candy or anything (ie no splitting atoms hehe). Also, how is the character associated with the government? . Keep in mind "Behind bars" is acceptable (ie a criminal). I'm not sure what you mean by posting limits..if the forum will let you and you want to have each post be on the level of the Illiad..go for it. If you mean power limits..Jean Grey can be a good example. When she first started out, but before she went Phoenix.
                        Yeah, I love character growth-- it's just so bad-ass, which, in role-playing, is one of my goals: be bad ass.
                        *hem *
                        suppose I should state a few things.
                        My goals are, blandly stated, to be 'bad-ass, awesome, and otherwise tell a very good, to excellent story, with all that storytelling implies.'
                        I will usually respond like a 'normal.' This means that the usual Player Character actions, usually under the label, 'dumb-shit maneuvers' will be kept to a minimum. After all, even the most cowardly of people have dumb-shit maneuvers at times. (note bene: 'dsm's imply heroism, or attempts at such. Also included are going along with complete and total strangers from organizations that you've never heard of into their nice black van, taking a strange pill you found on the floor of a basement in an abandoned warehouse, and using that mysterious ball you found in a crater.) This means you may have to wrassle me/my character into submission with your Role-playing goals.

Quoth Mytical View Post
                        Everybody else, everything sounds good..you might want to add an 'active' power though (though telekinesis counts ) ..totally up to you. Remember you may be going up against people who can shoot fire from their hands...or throw the empire state building...the 'bad guys' will not always be stronger then the group, but some of the 'main antagonist' will be. Of course since there will be 'back up' (ie npcs) helping you..it's not critical to add any powers. Also I will scale things to the powers involved.

About weaknesses. Pretty much the limits of the power, anything that will stop/block/weaken the power OR the person. IE Kryptonite will Weaken Superman...and theoretically kill him. Green lantern had the color Yellow, etc.
                        Hmm I think I am forgetting something....

Edit : Also we use this thread for questions, general chit-chat, things done outside of the character. When you have something that is 'out of character' in the actual roleplay thread please include it in (()), and try to limit doing so as much as possible. I need a volunteer for my first post, who thinks their character is ready. Recruiting for Section 3 is about to commence.

Edit 2 : Though I gotta admit this is a refreshing change from the last game. Everybody had to be stronger then the guy before them... So the current power levels are perfectly acceptable.
                        As for speed for Ananda, it's pretty much real-time, maybe a few seconds here and there, especially for the big stuff, like high resistances and whatnot. How are the almonds for a weakness? Along with character growth, potential for subtlety, entendres, and tautologies are things I also crave/aspire to... okay maybe not so much the entendres, but double-meanings, subtlety and tautologies I love and desire.

Comment

Quoth KabeRinnaul View Post
                          snip
                          Powers: Flight and force fields. He can also release a blast of energy, but hasn't learned any fine control over it and is more likely to hurt himself or bystanders than anyone he tries to aim it at, and has the ability to sense electric fields (like a shark).
                          snip
                          oh, my character's going to have fun with you. We can learn together! I like your character, too.

Comment

I'm not the most epic roleplayer, but I will encourage you to do all the things you have listed. Sometimes I get melodramatic, etc. If you are having fun, to me that is the most important thing..I'll let you know if things get out of hand lol. Oh and they wouldn't take you into their nice black van.

Edit : I am fine with your almond weakness
                            Last edited by Mytical; 03-16-2011, 06:38 AM.

Comment

Introducing two more NPC's (remember so far the four introduced can be used in your posts, with you controlling them..for the most part, if you so chose. If you need personality traits, etc I will pm any who ask )

True Name:Jasmin Wylde
                              Country of Origin: China
                              Nickname (if any): Frost
                              Powers: Ice Manipulation and creation.
                              Ability : Trained in every combat form known to man
                              Weaknesses: Fire/extreme heat.
                              Description: Oriental, Blue hair, white crystal eyes
                              Apparent age : 20's
                              Real Age: 25

True Name:Unknown
                              Country of Origin: India
                              Nickname (if any): Blaze
                              Powers: Fire creation/Manipulation
                              Ability : Trained in every combat form known to man
                              Weaknesses: Extreme cold.
                              Description: Mid Eastern decent, red hair, ember eyes
                              Apparent age : 20's
                              Real Age: 25
                              Last edited by Mytical; 03-16-2011, 07:01 AM.

Comment

Submitted for your approval:

True Name: Thelassa D'Aether
                                Country of Origin: Russia
                                Nickname (if any): Though not technically a nickname, there are many in her homeland who would call her a witch.
                                Powers: Excerpt from Extensive Field Testing of Female Subject 00-A4354D1 -CONFIDENTIAL- "Able to manipulate the natural forces around her at will by exploiting her environment at the molecular level. Which in most cases would be moving the air with enough force to cause strong winds, supercharging protons to conduct electricity, and freezing moisture to create ice. Tests have been conducted in areas of non-typical environments (in/under water, within gale-force winds, below-freezing conditions, and electrocution, all with limited results. Subject also exposed to fire at close/direct contact with no apparent productive results."
                                Abilities: Has received conditioning in responsiveness to situational threat detection and de-escalation, limited training in hand-to-hand combat, as well as completion of apprehension and interrogation coursework. Additionally, she is very observant and usually has no trouble "reading" others. Efficient and rarely shows emotion, and her "training" helped her to develop an abnormally high tolerance for pain.
                                Weaknesses: Though she can improvise defenses depending on her surroundings, her inability to control fire has been known to cause her difficulty when in close proximity.
                                Bio: Thelassa was raised in western Russia. She comes from a long line of Romani, or gypsies as they are known in much of the modern world. They traveled from one place to another, stopping in villages and towns to peddle their crafts and perform traditional fortune-telling such as reading tarot or divining tea leaves. Thelassa practiced palm reading from an early age, until she was 19 years old and a local man tried to solicit her for certain other services. She refused and he became combative, and she inadvertently killed him by, according to witnesses, putting her hands up, releasing a strong wind that blew him away from the caravan and slamming him into the side of a building with enough force to break his skull and neck. Thelassa was then declared a chovihani, a Romani who possesses true magic ability. The tribe left the area, but government officials soon tracked them down and demanded she be turned over to the authorities. Her people refused, believing her to be chosen by Bibi, the revered Goddess of Night, and they were slain before her eyes before she was shot and taken into custody.

She anguished for 2 years in a government prison, kept on a minimum of food and water, before she finally consented to being placed in a special program the Russian Defense Minister had developed. She soon found herself thrust into a new Hell as she was subjected to many tortuous tests which were also designed to break her will. She learned there were a handful like her at this facility, those who possessed unique powers and abilities. She heard the armed soldiers who kept her from escaping refer to the program as "using trained freaks to deal with wild freaks." After learning of many of the unknown "freaks" in the program dying from resisting their training, she became compliant to bide her time. She was considered the only success (being the only one to complete the program at that time) and was quickly put into active use by the government. Her moment finally arrived on her first assignment, to assist government agents in locating and apprehending a "super." Once she had many miles behind her, she seized an assault rifle from a soldier and killed the agents she was to be accompanying and fled into the country to whereabouts unknown, but is still actively hunted by the Russian government.

Description:Thelassa stands at approximately 6'1", though she is very lithe in appearance. She has straight, black hair that reaches to her waist, and piercing violet eyes. She dresses in typical attire for her nomadic tribe; a black, ankle-length dress with red trim, as well as a black traveling cloak. She has numerous rings and bracelets, as well as a ruby pendant around her neck.
                                Apparent age : Early 20's
                                Real Age: 26
                                Government Affiliation: Wanted for treason, conspiracy, and several counts of murder by the Russian Authority.
                                Last edited by Kara; 03-16-2011, 06:46 AM.
                                "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

Working...
                                X