This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Herewith, the sucky return du jour...

Had an older lady come in and returna swivel rocking chair with matching ottoman. She said it didn't match the room she was putting it in.

However, she only came to this conclusion after putting the thing together. All she would've had to do is open the box, see the upholstered parts on top that were colored burgundy, and then if that clashed with her valued rug that pulled the whole room together, then she could just bring it back.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't get people who have to put something together to realize it doesn't match their decor. Even if it was a gift, she wouldn't need to go to all that trouble (and if it was a gift, I think it would be pretty crass of her to return the thing).
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Because these people just don't have the brain capacity to comprehend such things!

IPF, what did blas tell you about sliding down the banister??
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post

IPF, what did blas tell you about sliding down the banister??
      "Don't slide down the bannister because you might injure your goo-goo and that's all some guys have going for them."

?

Comment

[Devils' Advocate]

She said it didn't match the room she was putting it in.
        'Matching' isn't just colour. It may not have matched the style of the room. Sometimes you've got to see it in-situ to judge...

[/Devils' Advocate]

*scrubs off SC vibes*
        Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

Actually, she did say it was the color she was unhappy with.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
            and if it was a gift, I think it would be pretty crass of her to return the thing.
            I'm not sure how it's wrong to return a gift you don't care for. You do it discretely, of course, but I don't see the problem with it.

Comment

Honestly, i think it depends on what you were taught growing up. I was always taught, if someone gives you a present, be gracious and keep your mouth shut if you don't like it. The only time i would ever return a gift is if it was something i already had, or if it was clothing that just didn't fit.
              Last edited by katie kaboom; 05-22-2007, 01:51 AM.
              Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

Quoth nekoro View Post
                I'm not sure how it's wrong to return a gift you don't care for. You do it discretely, of course, but I don't see the problem with it.
                What Katie said. I actually have a story here:

We used to spend Christmas Day at my grandma's house when I was a child. One year I got a present from one of my aunts. I tore open the wrapping paper to find a big Disney storybook.

Problem was, my parents had already bought me that book like a year earlier.

I think the first thing I did was turn to my parents and say "I have this book already!" Yeah, I did that before saying "thank you."

A little later that aunt sought out my parents and said to them "Well I just won't buy Irv any more gifts because he's such an ungrateful thing!"

Mom wanted to return the book to the store, but my dad said absolutely not, and this was his sister who got me that book. So instead we gave it to my sister who was too little to read at the time.

She enjoyed it very much. I think she still has it, so that she can give it to her children, assuming she has any.

So from that point on, SOP in the family was not to return gifts to the store. Instead, we try to give our unwanted gifts to somebody else in the family who has more of a use for it.
                Last edited by Irving Patrick Freleigh; 05-22-2007, 02:10 AM.

Comment

I have one of those "put it all together and decide then that you don't like it" people to thank for the nice dresser I have in my bedroom. Someone put it together, decided they didn't like it and brought it back. It wasn't defective so the store mgr marked it down to $40, it originally was $125, one of those Ethan Allan put together yourself pieces.

It looks great in my "Early American Thrift Store" themed bedroom.

Comment

Working...
                  X