Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question: What is the most PROMINENT sign you have seen an SC ignore?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question: What is the most PROMINENT sign you have seen an SC ignore?

Not sure if this is the right forum, or if it has been done before, so move it or whatever if necessary. Anyway......

We all know SC's have honed and trained their vision to such a level, that they can spot signs that say "SALE", "% OFF", "FREE", "BARGAIN", "SPECIAL", and the like from 1000 paces away. Even if written in "contract with the Devil" sized fine print, behind solid objects, and even written in invisible ink, but as a consequence, they lose the ability to read or comprehend ANYTHING that does not assist them in getting the "SALE", or hinders them in getting the "SALE", even if written in TYPE 2000 SIZE FONT, bright neon colors, written in every language know to man, woman, and alien while covered in bells, whistles, and lights while taped to their head.

My question is, whether spotted at work or while out and about, what is the biggest WTF?!?!?!?! HOW THE EVER LOVING **** DID YOU NOT SEE THAT SIGN? you have ever personally witnessed? Preferably one that is SO stand out above the rest it is ridiculous.

I personally cannot really decide on just one that really stands out, though when I think about it enough, it will probably be one of those "we are closing and have to sell off our inventory so everything is this and this off" sales. Those things SCARE ME! But that is a topic for another time. Anyway while I contemplate on this, would you kindly share your stories of SC blindness?
    Last edited by Velfarre2001; 04-25-2007, 01:36 AM.
    "It's times like these that make me wanna go straight."
    James from Pokémon.

I'd say it's a toss-up between

CLOSED

and

EMPLOYEES ONLY

'Nuff said.
    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

"Tokens have no cash value

No cash refunds"

Granted, it's the only sign we really have.
      Those who are loudest about their qualifications, tend to have the least merit to their claims.

Comment

From a call center perspective, I'm always amazed that people can make it through a phone tree that announces at least twice that its for *mycompany* followed by a bunch of product specific prompts, and finally past my "Thank you for calling *mycompany*" greeting without realizing that they haven't called Blue Cross/Blue Shield, XM Radio, or some community college.
        "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

In about 1983 a high school sophomore aged 16 on a dare climbed over a fence topped with barbed wire, climbed a high-tension power line tower, fell off, broke his back and became paraplegic. (He was not zapped by electricity, he just fell a long way).

On each side of the fence around the tower was a huge sign with a skull and crossbones, lightning bolts, and "DANGER HIGH VOLTAGE" in huge letters.

His family sued the power company because it was dusk and "he couldn't see the sign".
          Last edited by skeptic53; 04-25-2007, 01:56 AM.
          Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
          TASTE THE LIME JELLO OF DEFEAT! -Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth skeptic53 View Post
            In about 1983 a high school sophomore aged 16 on a dare climbed over a fence topped with barbed wire, climbed a high-tension power line tower, fell off, broke his back and became paraplegic. (He was not zapped by electricity, he just fell a long way).

On each side of the fence around the tower was a huge sign with a skull and crossbones, lightning bolts, and "DANGER HIGH VOLTAGE" in huge letters.

His family sued the power company because it was dusk and "he coudn't see the sign".
            Ah, the people who sue for their own stupidity story, an entire rant in and of itself, so tell me, did the asswipes win? I hope not but..... they probably did.....
            "It's times like these that make me wanna go straight."
            James from Pokémon.

Comment

I hope to god he didn't win that lawsuit...

I think we need to let natural selection do its thing and stop giving people money for stupidity (and we need to take out the lawyers that make this sort of thing possible).

back to topic-
              I think the stupidest thing I've seen customers do in the mall is run right underneath the metal gate as its MOVING and wonder if we are closed (If I hadn't been watching, the moving gate would have knocked this teenager right in the head as she ran under it the one night)

Idjits.
              I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

I saw a woman at work today who read the sign on our exit door (says 'Please Use Other Door') and then proceeds to try and open our exit door (which does not open from the outside)

Rather than doing what the sign said she threw her hands up in disgust and stalked off.
                I was happy to see her go.

Comment

Quoth Velfarre2001 View Post
                  Ah, the people who sue for their own stupidity story, an entire rant in and of itself, so tell me, did the asswipes win? I hope not but..... they probably did.....
                  Settled out of court, with the settlement sealed (secret).
                  Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
                  TASTE THE LIME JELLO OF DEFEAT! -Gravekeeper

Comment

I work at a home improvement warehouse (rhymes with Goes). Sometimes we need to get product down from the very top shelf, which is about 15- 20 feet high. Special equipment is required sometimes, like a cherry picker or a "star wars" and if it's outside L&G, a forklift is used.
                    Anyway, when we need to get something down, we have to close off two aisles; the one we're working in, and the aisle next to it. Two people are needed; The machine operator and a spotter. The spotter well.. spots. Makes sure that no one enters the aisles and that nothing comes crashing down.
                    We also put across the entrance to each aisle a giant, big, huge yellow banner saying "AISLE CLOSED" (but with many more words explaining how sorry we are to inconvenience the shopper).

Four banners. Loud heavy beeping machinery. A spotter waving people away. You would think that would stop people. Most people, yes. The idiots, no.

Many times I have seen asshat idiots duck under the banner "just to grab something real quick like."
                    Kids like to play chicken. "I dare you to run down the aisle" I heard one kid say to his friend when I was spotting. The daree looks around and starts to duck under the banner. "HEY!" I yell from the other end. "The aisle is CLOSED!" The kid's face is and the both run away. Jerks.
                    I wasn't there when this happened, but it was the talk of the store for a while. A lady snuck in behind the forklift to look at some paving blocks. The spotter was over in the other aisle explaining to another ass why he couldn't go down the aisle. The operator puts the forklift in reverse *Beep! Beep! Beep!* and backs up. He goes back about 3 feet before he slams on the brakes. He turns to the lady and curses a storm! "WTF! Why are you here? This aisle is closed! I almost ran you over!" And so on and so forth.
                    The "funny" thing is that the operator was a zone manager. He didn't get into much trouble (Just a light "talking to") for cursing out the old woman idiot.
                    The other thing is that the woman didn't duck under any banners. When they move stuff outside, they close the aisles with big, bright yellow HEAVY gates. With even bigger "Aisle Closed" sign posted. The lady waited until the coast was clear, moved the gates just enough to enter, and went down the aisle.

The lady could have been seriously injured or killed, just because she didn't want to wait the 3 minutes for the ZM to move the pallet.
                    Age and wisdom don't necessarily go together. Some people just become stupid with more authority.

"Who put the goat in there? The yellow goat I ate."

Comment

For me, it would have to be the "Employees Only" signs that are posted by the entrances to the backroom.

Since our remodel, those signs are more prominent. There is a small ADA sign next to the doors, with "teammate entrance" printed on it and also typed out in braille, and a larger "teammate entrance" sign on the door itself. Nonetheless, people will ignore those signs and come barging into the backroom looking for employees to help them.
                      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

At the gas station, wind would pick up really bad at times, causing one of the doors to slam really hard and nearly come off it's hinges. We'd lock it and put up a sign "PLEASE USE OTHER DOOR!", but nevertheless, every few minutes, you'd hear a tug tug tug tug!

Some people figured that since one door was locked, the other one was as well. So they'd huff and puff and tear out of the parking lot. Oh well, we didn't need your $3 in nickels and dimes for your cigarettes anyways!

When it would storm and the lotto machine would go out, we'd make a sign for the lotto machine and the self scan ones (to see if your tickets were winners) "OUT OF ORDER!"

Customers become illiterate the second they enter parking lots, I swear.
                        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Top 3 Ignored signs at Whiskeyclone:

1. The East Entrance. Marked in LARGE white letters against a beige background. Easy to see, and yet I get people asking me where the entrance is despite the fact that they're standing next to it!

2. Any of our signs that reflect, most notably VIP for me. These signs are reflective and bright yellow. I get idiots pulling in without passes and they somehow don't see the sign.

3. The sign marking the way to the freeway. What makes it funnier is that we are sending people to the freeway which makes things more entertaining. "Can I get to the freeway from here?" Huge sign folks.
                          The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

1). There are prominent signs everywhere in my library indicating that cell phones cannot be used inside. At least 3 or 4 times a day I have to tell someone to get off of their phone.

2). Emergency exit only. At least once a week some dolt will open the emergency only doors, which cause an alarm to go off. The only way to get the alarm to stop is to physically walk over and put a key in the lock. If a patron makes me do this, I will make them feel like the moron they are.

3). No monetary transactions at the circ. desk after 8:45pm.

Comment

restrooms.

the customer service desk. this one i dont understand. if you are someone in need of assistance from the moment you walk in, do you have your head down and blinders on? the info desk is a ginormous glowing box straight down the main aisle from the doors.

i once watched someone look at the posting of our hours of operation, pull on the locked doors, look at the hours again, pull harder at the still locked doors, then stare at the hours for at least 2 minutes with a dumbass look on his face. he finally walked away when he saw me watching him.
                              Kim: She's got one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel.

I'd like to exercise my constitutional right to not give a fuck.

Comment

Working...
                              X