This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you even listening to me?

I can tell the difference between people with reservations and those without just by the way they walk into the lobby. Someone that has a reservation will walk directly to the desk; people without reservations kind of wander around the lobby... look at the cieling... meander up to the desk... "I need a room for tonight."

People who make reservations at least have grasped the concept of "call ahead" so they have some idea of what it takes to travel. Walk-in customers however are a completely different creature. Some of them assume that if they see a grocery store, it will have milk, and on the same token if they see a hotel, it will have rooms... exactly what they want.

I feel bad for some people when they realize that by not making a reservation on a busy weekend, they can't get what they need and are SOL. But, then there are people like this lady who dig their own graves because they either refuse to listen or refuse to be wrong.

Lady: (after wandering around the lobby) Uh yeah, i need a place for tonight.
    Me: Ok, we're pretty full for tonight, the only thing i have left are rooms with single king beds nonsmoking.
    Lady: How much are they?
    Me: I only have a few of them so i'll sell it to you for the lowest rate, $102 plus tax.
    Lady: That's a bit more then i want to spend, and that's for a single?
    Me: Yeah.
    Lady: We have four adults and a one year old, don't you have any rooms with two beds?
    Me: ...no. All i have left are single kings and our stock of rollaways are all gone as well.
    Lady: And you have a pool?
    Me: ...uh yeah, right past the elevator.
    Lady: Does it have a wading area for kids?
    Me: The shallowest it goes is three feet.
    Lady: No shallow place for them to splash around in? Hmmm.... Do you have any suites? We have alot of people.
    Me: No, just the single kings. I do know the Best Western up the street has some rooms open, perhaps they have a double, would you like to try there?
    Lady: No. (Takes out credit card) I'll take a room.
    Me: Ok, you do realize this room has a single king bed in it and that we have no available rollaways... right?
    Lady: Just give me the room, i'm not stupid.

So, from her perspective; It's too expensive, people will have to sleep on the floor, the kid can't use the pool, the hotel has a condescending desk clerk... sounds perfect!!

*shakes head*

Some people just don't grasp the concept of planning ahead.

I would never go anywhere that I would need to sleep over without getting a room somewhere first. And if I ever were in that position, I'd be the type to go straight to the desk and ask if the type of room I wanted was available. None of that wandering around the lobby stuff. The only time I've ever wandered around a hotel lobby was when I was at a convention or was meeting someone there.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Getoutofmylobby View Post
      You aren't? Really?

I wonder if her following actions back up that statement.
      Everything sucks. I must be living in a vacuum.

Comment

Is this screaming Mystery Shopper to anyone else?

cause it is to me. They ask the stupidest questions because they are suppose to even when it's very obviously in their face what is available.

(I once had one ask me if the coffee was fresh as I was moving the coffee from the brewing area to the Self Service area with a dripping filter pan above it. and they took off points because I looked at them like they were crazy for asking. Who wouldn't have? )

Comment

Lady: i'm not stupid.
          Can't customers have a decent conversation without sounding like they are in fifth grade or something? I automatically assume they are definately stupid when they say that. When I worked the express lane I told the lady it was 8 items or less. she's like "Well I can count".. Turns out she had nine
          Providing Excellent customer service and Filtering out nonsense people.

Comment

GOOML, how many times did she call during her stay to bitch about it?
            Labor boards have info on local laws for free
            HR believes the first person in the door
            Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
            Document everything
            CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Really? Sounds like you are to me!

I am a family of six people, and if we do travel, we always call ahead, normally for two rooms right next to one another. Last summer, I did have to get a hotel and did not call ahead, mainly because it was only three of us. If the one hotel I stopped at did not have adequate accomodations, I would have moved on. Thankfully, there were two queen-sized beds, and we really did not have time to try out the pool.

Comment

I drove from CA to KY w/ a friend and we didn't call ahead places b/c we didn't know where exactly we were going to stop along the way - it wasn't a heavily planned trip, I was just out there to help her come back from college.

The worst night was I think in Albequerque (which I think I just spelled wrong but I don't care). They were having some kind of Indian (American Indian) convention and every hotel in the whole place was booked.

Though we never wandered around lobbies - we went right up and asked for rooms.... if they didn't have any, we left.

Comment

Working...
                X