X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phone work

Hi all,
    I work from home on the phone receiving calls forwarded to me by a company that has been in business for over 30 years.
    The company I work with is great as I can work from home and get paid a great salary.
    Yup, I am one of those two or is it three headed monsters classically called telemarketers.
    Most of us are very hard working honest customer service people that work for a living like everyone else.
    Except................
    We get to listen not see the customers and that is a whole different ball of wax.
    Truly it is.
    For some reason people call us up to yell, cuss or try to humiliate us in ways they would not think to do in if they were in a store in front of a live person.
    And those of us that have done this work for a long time have incredible stories to tell.
    Most of the time I feel like a cross between a bartender and a shrink, seriously, people tell me things I truly don't need to hear. Out of politeness I will listen until I can break in while they breathe (if they stop to breathe) to tell them "thank you for sharing" and I get on with the script.
    Working on the phone gives us a very unique opportunity to see what is really going on all across the country from New Orleans and the flooded out residents to the people in NYC still recovering from the tragedy of Sept 11.
    Most of the time it is interesting.
    But, here is the rest of the story.
    Here is an example of what I am talking about; at least once a week a man will call while using the bathroom and then usually he will flush the toilet when he is done.
    Do you all realize how difficult it is not to ask if he put the lid down????? Or ask him why he didn't flush??? But alas, cannot do that... my boss would have a cow.
    Women calling and screaming at me that I am a crook, yelling at the top of their lungs. It is quite difficult not to ask if they are having a rough day...or when the last time was they had a great day........
    Until they swear at me I have to put up with it and we have learned to do this with as much humor as possible.
    The rest of the story is this.
    For any of you that wonder if we are real, we are. IF you wonder if we follow scripts, of course we do. IF you wonder if we get paid well, better than most I would say. If you wonder why we do it... the pay is great and to be honest with you, it is really a lot of fun. And I get to hang up once the customer starts to swear, how cool is that....
    And we are all of course wanna be Dr Phil's....
    Just thought I would share with you a bit about being one of "those people."
    Enjoy your day,
    Abigail

I expect that you'll have some good stories for us.

I am ashamed to say that my husband is one of those toilet-flushers.
    I don't think he's done it while on the phone with a perfect stranger, but he does it with me all the time when he's travelling for business. Once he did it while on the phone with my mother. I could have killed him.
    He doesn't think anything of it.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

I went to the movies yesterday. There was a line in the restroom, and the woman that got into line just ahead of me whipped out her phone.

Now, why she couldn't have done that before she entered the restroom, I cannot fathom.

I'm sure the person on the other end was thrilled with the chorus of flushing toilets as background music.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
      X