This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have to PAY if I have a tab?

Hi folks. I've been debating. I can't call these particular people the table from hell, because I know there will ultimately be another that will take that cake. My manager calls them sewer people, outside of their earshot, of course. Anyone who doesn't know how to behave in public and demonstrates it by snapping and waving, yelling "HEY WAITRESS!" instead of saying "excuse me", not waiting the extra twenty seconds for me to get to the table, qualifies. They can see me coming in their direction, but they still feel the need to yell "HEY YOU!" before I get there. In short, "sewer people" gave me one of the biggest laughs I've ever had when my manager taught me the phrase.

I had one table that I consider the ultimate of my experience so far. I have been a server since I was sixteen and I am thirty-one now. I have worked high-end, low-end, and decided I prefer midgrade. That's where I am now. To give a quick idea, it's probably about a three star scale. Food is great, atmosphere is awesome, it's very clean, most clientele also is fantastic. Then there are the sewer people. AKA SCs.

Seriously, this happened. Four rather large people, with a female spokesperson, ordered their first round from the bartender. I mention their size because they were crowding my area where I punch in and gather my drinks. My manager had to direct them to the rest of the vast bar. Maybe they thought I was a customer and they were waiting in line? I, personally, would go to the part of the bar that is not crowded and catch the bartender's eye. But that's just me. It gets better...

They got their first round from the bartender and sat down in my section. Oh, joy! The same woman ordered the next two rounds (two double vodka OJs and two vodka sevens) and I had them all on a tab. She came up to me after the second round and approached me in my server area, after having already been told by my manager not to go there. She was waving a twenty in my face. "We want more drinks!" she said. "OK," I said, "do you want to apply that twenty to your tab?"

"TAAAB? WHAAAT TAAAB?" was the reply I got. "SOOOMEBODY PAIIIID DIIIDDDNN"T they?" At first, all I said was "Nope", with a smile, thinking she had to be kidding. She wasn't. She really was pissed off at me because she had to pay for her drinks.

After much whining and wheedling between them all about how much money this tab-thing was costing them, I ended up saying this: "LOOK! I brought you these drinks and nobody gave me any money!" They finally paid up, exact change later...They left immediately thereafter, angry that no drink fairy existed.

Faith in humanity slipping. Urge to kill rising. Urge to go entirely cash and carry and trust no one--so close.

Would you like a cookie or maybe some cheesecake? Both are freshly prepaired and ready to eat.
    Low lie the Fields of Athenry/ Where once we watched the small free birds fly/ Our love was on the wing/ we had dreams and songs to sing/ It's so lonely around the Fields of Athenry

Comment

I prefer to call people like that Gutter Slime or something equally disgusting and demeaning.

I kept that label when I went on to work at a gas station that was in one of the worst areas in my small town at the time.

I swear, some people were never raised to say anything more than curse words, were never taught any other body language than flaring arms and middle finger pointing (oh, and nose and butt picking), and were never taught any other way of verbal response than grunting and grumbling.
      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Sounds like they thought someone else in their group had picked up round one and twoand three. (meaing you have 4 in the group person A, B, C, and D person A thought B,C, and D got first 3 rounds Person B thought it was A,C, and D; person C thought it was A,B, and D; person D thought it was A, B, C)
        So I doubt that they were actually mad at you. More like they were offended that the others they were with were not buying rounds. However, it is much easier to take the anger out on the stranger / server all together . ..rather than risk losing a non friend friend.

Comment

Quoth Wilhelmena3 View Post
          My manager calls them sewer people, outside of their earshot, of course.
          The sewer mutants come to your restaurant? Fun.
          They seem rather well spoken (the characters, not talking about your story), so, that'd probably be a fun dining experience. Smell doesn't usually bother me, so, eh...
          "I call murder on that!"

Comment

yeah but the proper response for that is... "Oh! I'm sorry, I thought one of the others had paid. What do we owe you Ma'am / Sir?" And then of course toss in a tip.

Comment

I'm so glad I always pay for my own, as I go. I don't believe in running a tab when I'm out. Paying cash as I go also makes it easier to keep track of how much money I'm spending, and the waitperson is likely to get a lot more in tips.
              Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

I have a tab every time I go to the bar. But I always pay it off that night, except once. I truly thought I already paid. Found out that I hadn't the next week. But the bartender is awesome. He trusts my group of friends that goes there. Hell plus I give him $10 in tips every time.
                Last edited by powerboy; 08-20-2008, 08:24 AM.
                Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

angry that no drink fairy existed.
                  What ? The Drink Fairy doesn't exist ? How disappointing. *pouts*
                  "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

They left immediately thereafter, angry that no drink fairy existed.
                    Heh heh.

There is a rumor of a Drink Fairy, but only in Calontir. And realise that the Drink Fairy is also a bit karmic- s/he might remove a drink from your cooler not merely add a tasty beverage to the coolers of the worthy....

Comment

Quoth Bramblerose View Post
                      Heh heh.

There is a rumor of a Drink Fairy, but only in Calontir. And realise that the Drink Fairy is also a bit karmic- s/he might remove a drink from your cooler not merely add a tasty beverage to the coolers of the worthy....
                      Fellow Calontiri? Where from?

Comment

Calontir has a Drink Fairy??
                        You purple'ngolds been holding out on your allies again?
                        Ansteorra has had to do the Latin lessions to, we demand Drink Fairies! Tell Anton to get right on that for me.

*hides*

Comment

I only heard the plotting, don't know if she went thru with it. It was late at a Lilies, and she has gone from a Rather Important Person to a Quite Important Person since.

I'm theoretically in Grimfells. Haven't played in a spell. THe Latin Lessons kick ass! I like confounding classical mundanes with them.

Comment

When I was a server, if I was stuck on the bar floor (we also had a "dining room" which was more suited for families or the elderly, which I typically preferred over the drunk idiots on the bar floor) on a Saturday night or the day of a big football game or something, I would usually get to the point of forcing people to pay as they ordered, because if I had 10 tables with 3 or 4 tabs each, that crud gets CONFUSING. I was usually good at handling it, but if I got the slightest bit of flustered, I'd be screwed.

So by the time people would be inebriated enough to not care about whether they had a running tab anymore, and I could convince them to pay as they order, they were usually inebriated enough to give me an extra dollar or two every time they ordered, telling me it was a tip. I could end up making serious bank on nights like that.

Woah.... sorry for the rant. I occasionally miss that job and get all reminiscent once in a while.
                            I work at Walgreens.

(I'm just tired of mentioning it every time I want to relate to a story. )

Comment

Crescent Moon, myself, and I'm pretty sure I know who you're talking about.

Comment

Working...
                              X