This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is kinda a first for me...

...the first time I've ever had someone TALK ME OUT OF GIVING THEM SOMETHING FREE. And I don't mean in the sense that they just pissed me off and I suddenly "forgot" we offered a free service. I mean he ARGUED with me...well, here...

Phone call roughly as follows.

Me: "Newsroom."
    Crotchedly Old Dude: "Yeah, I was needing to talk to someone 'bout putting an obit into ya'll's paper."
    Me: "Okay, are you with a funeral home?"
    COD: "Naw."
    Me: "Is there a funeral home involved in the arrangements?"
    COD: "What? Yeah. Yeah, there's one doing this."
    Me: "And what is the name of the funeral home?"

(Sidenote: I'm asking all this because we're supposed to get obituaries through the funeral homes, except in cases of the body being donated to science or what-have-you, and because if it's one of our local funeral homes, they automatically handle the obituaries for the family and I could tell this guy he wouldn't need to bother with it, that it was already being taken care of. But...)

COD: "Look, I'm just needin' to know about costs on the obituary for one with a funeral home."
    Me: "Okay, well, we do offer a free format-,"
    COD: "What? No, no no."
    Me: *Huh?* "Sir?"
    COD: "The senior center told me that ya'll's obituaries was about $250."
    Me: "Well, yes sir, we do have paid formats that can run up to amounts like that, but we also offer a free format for them that the funeral home-,"
    COD: "No no no. I was told by the senior center that the obits were $250."
    Me: ".....yeeeeeees...we have some like that...but we ALSO offer free ones that are-,"
    COD: "What's the deadline on that?"
    Me: "Uhhh...well, I don't know about the paid obits, that's a different department, but for our FREE obituaries, the deadline is about 2:30."
    COD: "No no no. Do you handle the obituaries there or not?"
    Me: "I handle the free formats, sir..."
    COD: "NO. Do YOU handle the OBITUARIES?"
    Me: "Yes, I handle the free ones. I can help you with-,"
    COD: "No, no no no. I want obituaries."
    Brain: Fuck it.
    Me: "Allllll right, sir, let me transfer you down to our PAID department." *does so*

Now the sad thing is, the people down in paid advertising hate doing obits, so they're probably down there right now trying to tell him about our free option, too. And they can't transfer him back to me unless he specifically asks for the free department.

I mean, maybe he just wanted a paid one, but he could have, like, I don't know, just said that instead of flat-out denying that our free ones even EXISTED, right?

Note to self, figure out who "the senior center" is, and figuratively eviscerate them...
    "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

sounds like the senior center is in the group with "they" that lupo was talking about yesterday, and i think that the guy was just having a rusty cog day. but that was a unique incident, i may add that to my scrap book
    This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
    my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
    X