This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Telly Go Ploof - Again!

Hi all. I've been having trouble with our telly, and I thought to post it here rather than in Tech Help because I really don't want to be poking around; I'm hoping for advice on what to do.

Our TV is a Sharp 23'' flatscreen with built-in DVD player. We've had it since October 2012, and the reason it has a built-in DVD player is because we don't have the space - either physically or plug-illy - for an actual DVD player.

The built-in DVD player is a POS. Yesterday it broke, for the second time since October. The first time was in March, and the same thing has happened twice. Out of the blue, even straight after using it perfectly beforehand, the thing starts to make grinding, grumbling noises that slowly overtake the sound and eventually refuses to play any disc. We take good care of it other than having the gall to use it! This is also what conked our last two televisions too, but I was hoping since those two were knock-off supermarket-own-makes a Sharp was going to be better quality, but at least those two lasted over a year each before dying!!

We bought the TV in JL, JL being a large dark green department store. We brought it in when it broke the first time in March, because the TV has a five-year warranty and the built-in player two. It took them three weeks to fix the telly, and they lost the sodding box. Two months later the player has broken again. Without the box it makes transporting the TV very awkward and I recall overhearing in JL's repair centre that we have to have the problem three times before they consider replacement.

I don't want a refund, I just want a TV with a working built-in DVD player!! What can I do, what should I do?
    "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

As it's under a year old I assume it will be covered by the year guarantee that everything seems to have these days. Might be best to Google for a customer contact helpline and ask what you can do to redeem the guarantee.

I will say that I bought my tv from Richer Sounds and paid a tiny amount for a 5 year guarantee (I think it was about £20) and I've never had a problem with the TV in the 3 years I've had it. It's a LG which I recommend because they started in the computer screen industry from what I've picked up so they really know how to build a good screen.
    As soon as I start thinking
    That I'm sensible and sane
    The Random Hedgehog comes along
    And fiddles with my Brain
    (from card I got)

Comment

Working...
    X