This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing CPU mounting brackets...

This has been driving me up a wall for a few weeks now.

Relevant specs: ASUS Prime B450 Plus motherboard, AMD Ryzen 5 CPU

The stock CPU heatsink has four rubber screws; in order to install it the existing mounting bracket has to be removed. Except...I can't get the mounting bolts to budge, and I'm afraid of my screwdriver slipping and damaging something. I've looked up installation instructions on Youtube, and it looks so damn easy...I suspect a few of the videos use powered screwdrivers which I don't have access to.

Any tips? I don't really have the means to buy another heatsink right now...while I am going to cannibalize my current desktop for some parts, are AM3 and AM4 heatsinks interchangeable? (current rig is AM3+, new one is AM4)
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Did you pull the mobo and check underneath?

Comment

There are no nuts underneath, just the bolt ends. There is a backplate; I'm now thinking that may be glued, but I'll need the backplate itself to seat the new screws (I'm hesitant to try loosening it; that may not help). I don't see any thread-lock on the existing bolts, but the stuff I'm used to seeing is blue.
      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
        Did you pull the mofo and check underneath?
        Fixed that for you.

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
        I don't see any thread-lock on the existing bolts,
        That don't mean nothing.

I understand your concern about breaking thing. To turn harder on the screw, you are going to need to push down more. You will need to brace it from underneath, That also means doing outside the case. This may be a two person job.

In case you didn't think about it already, break the screws loose before you remove them. You'll want the other to hold everything close while you break the last one free.

One last thing, don't forget your thermal paste.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Working...
        X