This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dishwashers turned

This might be rare, it is not common but on occasion I make mistakes.

I was staying in a long-term hotel that had a dishwasher. I was out of dishwasher tabs, so I used the soap on the kitchen sink.

It made a HUGE soapy mess on the floor, but I got towels and cleaned it up the best I could. About an hour later, a knock on my door. The building maintenance man was investigating why the room under me was leaking through the ceiling.

I explained what happened and my mistake. We laughed about it and helped me clean it up (and told me that the front desk had more dishwasher soap for free). They did not even bill me for the hassle or time (it was later in the evening).

9 times out of 10, if you are honest and courteous about something, the staff will work with you.
    I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

While I knew that you should not use regular dish soap in the dishwasher, I never thought that it would make that kind of mess. I fugured it would be a little more self contained. Sounds about like over loading the washing machine with laundry detergent.

Quoth Gilhelmi View Post
    9 times out of 10, if you are honest and courteous about something, the staff will work with you.
    Quoted for truth.
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Dish soap is designed to suds up; it's a trick to make you believe it's working.

Dishwasher detergent is designed for low suds and usually contains a disinfecting agent of some kind.

Yes, my idiot ex substituted dish soap for dishwasher detergent one time. It was like something out of I Love Lucy.
      Labor boards have info on local laws for free
      HR believes the first person in the door
      Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
      Document everything
      CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

I made that mistake in my first apartment. I had never used a dishwasher before, and had no idea that there was a specific kind of soap I was supposed to use. The apartment complex was brand new, and so were all of the appliances in it. I thought the dishwasher was defective, and went storming into the office to complain. The maintenance guy took one look at me and asked what kind of soap I had used. "Dish soap, of course, what other kind is there?" "Well, there's dishwasher soap, the kind you're supposed to use." Yeah, he talked to me like I was an idiot, but I honestly didn't know.
        "Redheads have at least a 95% chance of being gorgeous. They're also concentrated evil." - Irv

"This is all strange, uncharted territory and your hamster only has three legs." - Gravekeeper

Comment

did that once when I was a kid... suds everywhere!

Comment

I did that once too >.< I put far too much in as well. Long story short, my mother was not impressed that she had a kitchen with 2 cats galavanting through suddy water all over the floor.

Comment

I never made that mistake - because as a kid, I got to witness my father doing it. What a mess! Suds all over the kitchen.
              The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
                Dish soap is designed to suds up; it's a trick to make you believe it's working.

Dishwasher detergent is designed for low suds and usually contains a disinfecting agent of some kind.

Yes, my idiot ex substituted dish soap for dishwasher detergent one time. It was like something out of I Love Lucy.
                My husband did that too. After the suds started squirting out I told him that's why dishwasher detergent is low sudsing.
                Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Working...
                X