This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why can't we be friends?

It’s story time! Let me regale you of the tale of Mr. Asshole, the man who is brother to NO MAN!

First, a little more background. I work for a hotel under <Major Hospitality Conglomerate>, but at one of their select service/economy class hotels. While we are in fact, an awesome brand, we only provide certain amenities. Our Brand is geared towards the everyday traveler, and while we do provide quite a bit of great stuff (free hot breakfast, wi-fi, comfy rooms) we are NOT a full service property. My staff here is great and we compete with the best of them, because we are good at what we do. Keeping this in mind, I do sometimes play it “loose” with the guests. We are on first name basis with pretty much all our regulars, we joke, we laugh, and we have fun. So the “friendly Dray” personality tends to be kind of casual, but I can pull off “professional Dray” just as easily. My inclination towards being personable got me in trouble today. Having said that…on with our story.

Guest calls today inquiring about On-site spa treatments. As we are a select service property, this is not something we do. There are no facilities or staff for personal rub downs/pampering. However, there is Full Service property under the same <Corporate Flag> as us that do! We often refer people there. It’s what we do really. Don’t have something you want? Bet I can find it for you within rock throwing distance. So, I’m thinking maybe dude has his wires crossed and is calling the wrong place. I attempt to give him the correct number, he declines and hangs up. I figure all is well…

…not so much. Guest calls back about 20 minutes later extremely agitated. He insists we offer that service and then tells me that I “made him feel like an asshole.” He wants to send me a screenshot of where he saw this feature on the internet. I attempt to apologize for making him feel bad, and because I am still in friendly fix it mode and I don’t know his name, I called him…wait for it…”Bro.”

He then summons SHIVA and casts ICE 9. My handset freezes over as he informs me, “I am not BRO; I am MR. ASSHOLE.” I’m floored, he’s pissed off, and I want to figure out how to help this guy, so I offer him up my corporate email, so I can take a look the screen shot. He does, I look, and yes, he is right! It does say that, only that’s not our corporate website. Other hotel front desk minions can relate to this. With all those FREAKING dot com booking sites out there, it’s easy for someone to make a typo somewhere and we experience the fall out. Ironically, the guy took a picture with his phone, and the shot didn’t show me the offending websites URL.

All right, at least I have a direction to move in now; PROGRESS! So, I email the dude back, explain what I see, and ask if can get me the URL so I can track down the booking site and get this corrected. I again apologize for causing offence and tell him I look forward to hearing back from him and to offer further assistance. I’m in the process of typing up a recount of this tale to pass on to my general manager, when I get a phone call.

It’s our <Corporate Office> guest relations department. They are calling to let me know that we have received a complaint that will need to be dealt with. I ask the agent if it’s Mr. A, and she informs me it is. I then proceed to let her know what was happening and how we should handle it. During this conversation she tells me he is on hold with her. I think this is great! Because, I did slip and did say something unprofessional (Bro), and I would like to apologize again, offer compensation, and try to fix this! I tell her as such; wherein she puts me on hold for about a minute. When she comes back I am informed that Mr. A doesn’t want to talk to me and doesn’t want compensation. He just wanted to lodge a complaint. Because our complaint system works the way it does, even though he doesn’t want anything, there is still an open issue that has to be resolved. And because he won’t talk to me about it, it has to be elevated to my GM.

As an added bonus, Mr. A will be checking in tomorrow. Guess who will be working the front desk? I’m thinking I might just keep “why can’t we be friends” playing on repeat in the lobby tomorrow.

I tried, I really did. If you don’t want people to make you feel like an asshole, maybe you shouldn’t act like one.
    "Don't take life too seriously; you'll never get out of it alive."---Elbert Hubbard

With any luck, he won't recognize your voice in real life >_> *knocks on wood*
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Not likely...my work email is a firstname.lastname@corporation.com. And my nametag prominently shows my name and title.
      "Don't take life too seriously; you'll never get out of it alive."---Elbert Hubbard

Comment

You have my sympathy! Although I don't work at a hotel, I do work on the phone, and I've had people like this. If he didn't have a highly-elevated opinion of himself (and a fragile ego to boot), he wouldn't "feel like an asshole" just because he came across something online that turned out not to be true and you informed him (politely) of the error.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I'm curious if anything further developed from this.

Comment

I hope he never come to Newfoundland, he'd have a heart attack from blowing a gasket so hard. Everyone here uses "love" and "ducky" here with complete strangers. As in "Thanks love/ducky!". I found it weird to get used to myself.

Comment

It's the same here. Everyone is "my love", "my dear" or "my babber".

Comment

Update time.

At first I was kinda surprised to see this ending up in the Brain Burps, but the more I think about it, the more sense it made. The whole situation was one of communication errors that spiraled out of control.

When last we left off; Guest is mad, situation escalated, and was then turned over to my GM. So, Bossman calls the guy today and they have their chat, and while I don’t know the details he did say the guest was pleasant with him. They did work out an agreement though. Turns out we comp’d 2 nights, and provided the guest with a gift card to the spa he was looking for. All told, guest walked away with about $250 worth of compensation.

Then the guest arrived today. And low and behold, I’m here to check him in. As soon as he mentions his name, it’s all professional Dray. I immediately stick out my hand to shake his and tell him that I am glad to meet him and have the opportunity to apologize in person. I do apologize, profusely. I explain all that we are going to do for him for the inconvenience. I also let him know, that we are working on tracking down the rogue websites that provided the original misinformation. He looks surprised and asks me, “that wasn’t your site?” I explain “no, it’s a vendor site, but we are taking care of it.” I hand him the gift card and direction to our sister hotel where the full treatment spa is located, and finish the check in within the space of a couple minutes. I once again apologize for my unprofessional slip of the tongue and send him and his crew on their way.

So, it seems that is the end of it for now. He seems satisfied, and looked a little sheepish through our conversation. I don’t think the level of compensation he received was really justified, but it is what it is. He is here for the next 4 days, so you never know. But, I’ve made peace with it, and I feel better at least.

Comment

Glad you got some closure, Dray. It's one of the most frustrating things in the world to have a simple misunderstanding escalate b/c the custy won't even try to listen.

Comment

Quoth Draykoja View Post
                    ...I don’t think the level of compensation he received was really justified, but it is what it is....But, I’ve made peace with it, and I feel better at least.
                    I'm glad you're okay with it; at least it isn't out of your pocket. But $250 worth of goodies?! It wouldn't surprise me if he was on the lookout for every little flaw, just so he can throw a temper tantrum and get rewarded with goodies; I've seen far too many people like that. Being called "bro" is such an insignifigant thing to freak out over, but apparently it gets you rewarded.
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

This is the guest that just keeps on giving, or receiving, as it were. He apparently had yet another complaint again this morning. One of his rooms had a smoky smell last night. So this morning, he rate was lowered AGAIN.

Our front desk has a call back procedure we adhere to. After a guest checks into a room, we are required to call them back after a while and see how everything is. Dude said everything was fine last night when I talked to him. I guess I shouldn't be that surprised that his complaint came in during a time when I wasn't here.

Total compensation so far? $400. Anyone want to take bets on whether he gets his entire stay comp'd?

Edit: Just spoke with with my head housekeeper. Neither of his rooms has an unusual smells.
                      Last edited by Draykoja; 02-15-2014, 07:29 PM. Reason: breif update

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                        It wouldn't surprise me if he was on the lookout for every little flaw, just so he can throw a temper tantrum and get rewarded with goodies;
                        Quoth Draykoja View Post
                        He apparently had yet another complaint again this morning. One of his rooms had a smoky smell last night. So this morning, he rate was lowered AGAIN.

...Total compensation so far? $400.
                        Yep, called it. Compensation hog.
                        Quoth Draykoja View Post
                        Anyone want to take bets on whether he gets his entire stay comp'd?
                        Sorry, I don't take sucker bets. Same reason I'm not betting that the management will eventually grow a spine and kick his demanding ass out.
                        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                        My LiveJournal
                        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                          Yep, called it. Compensation hog.

Sorry, I don't take sucker bets. Same reason I'm not betting that the management will eventually grow a spine and kick his demanding ass out.
                          And we have a winner!
                          I would suggest playing it cool, but not apologizing any more for the slight.
                          the more you apologize the more emboldened some of these jackholes get.

Comment

Did he ASK for compensation on the smokey smell? If not, then I wouldn't necessarily accuse him of fishing for discounts. I'm bothered by a lot of smells and if it's faint enough, I may not even notice a smokey smell right away, but it would eventually start bothering me. At the very least, it's something I'd mention to avoid being stuck with a smoker cleaning fee.

The compensation does seem high though, especially if he wasn't raging a-hole man to your manager. Comping the service AND two room nights? *shakes head*
                            A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

He then summons SHIVA and casts ICE 9. My handset freezes over as he informs me, “I am not BRO; I am MR. ASSHOLE
                              For some reason this made laugh harder than anything on this site and that's saying something. Somehow I knew exactly what u were talking about...
                              Well I'm glad u two became friends and I hope the GM or corporate remember, give them an inch and they'll take a mile! mantra.
                              Can't reason with the unreasonable.
                              The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

Working...
                              X