Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ugh, Transient Component Fatigue almost occurred today.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ugh, Transient Component Fatigue almost occurred today.

A brief run down of my day:

4.5 additional hours on site. Why? To migrate 3 systems to Windows 10. 1 had to be reimaged because it had a power loss while I was out for lunch and another because it wasn't connecting to the right domain. So 6 hours reimaging those 2 systems. Plus the third needed to be adjusted after because of some minor setting that made no difference.

The worst of it? NONE OF THE SYSTEMS ARE IN USE! 1 was in a front line that was pulled for a supposed hardware defect which I couldn't find any trace of but couldn't recommission because the cables were junked some time ago. One was in a greeter spot that didn't have a mouse and plugging one into it's PS/2 slot (seriously, why are those STILL used in a office environment?) would not get a response (and yes, I did restart.). The third was in a office reserved for guest staff that bring in their own laptops and hasn't been logged in in such a long time it wasn't even in the registry database.

I swear, if I got one more call from the command desk I would go looking for a hammer...
    I AM the evil bastard!
    A+ Certified IT Technician

I have a TRS-80 Model 100 laptop here. Could you update it to Win10?
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Does it count if he puts the fancy Winders sticker on it? That's close enough, right?

Comment

You have a Trash-80 that still works? Cool!
        My son thinks I'm Lucifer Morningstar. I'm not sure he's wrong.

Comment

Quoth YamiNoHime View Post
          I haven't tried to light it up for years and years.

Comment

still have my Amiga 1000 and 500, and have a Sperry 1616 UNIVAC SNAPII from a submarine, not sure if the ballistics computer works though ...
            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
              I haven't tried to light it up for years and years.
              I imagine at this point "light it up" would be quite literal.
              I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

Sorry, you let the Magic Smoke (TM) out. It won't work until we figure out where it leaked out, fix that, and then re-fill with new Magic Smoke (TM). I believe that Lucas in England manufactures it in bulk...
                “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Model 100's have a reputation for being pretty robust. They were originally a Kyocera design, and my understanding is that a lot of them are still functional (modulo any damage due to battery leaks).

Neat little machines, really.
                  Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

> didn't have a mouse and plugging one into it's PS/2 slot (seriously, why are those STILL used in a office environment?) would not get a response

Umm, did you know about the gotcha there? The PS/2 interface wasn't actually designed to be hot-plugged. Usually, it would work, but something like 1% of the time, hot-plugging it it would fry the controller chip. Which, "of course", was welded onto the motherboard.

Comment

I do not believe I have ever had a PS/2 mouse work after a hotplug without a reboot. Keyboards? Sure.

Comment

Is "transient component fatigue" anything like "nonlinear, catastrophic structural exasperation"?
                        "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
                          Is "transient component fatigue" anything like "nonlinear, catastrophic structural exasperation"?
                          Similar. It's the technical term for something being bashed with a sledgehammer, usually in a fit of rage.
                          I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                            Sorry, you let the Magic Smoke (TM) out. It won't work until we figure out where it leaked out, fix that, and then re-fill with new Magic Smoke (TM). I believe that Lucas in England manufactures it in bulk...
                            This made me snicker for half an hour.

Comment

My dad has one of these bad boys still sitting on his kitchen counter and...well it's being used as little more than a glorified calculator now, but hey it works.

I took that thing to school with me a few times, back in high school. Wrote some basic programs on it and stuff.
                              Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Working...
                              X