Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm just an innocent(ish) bystander to this one! (kinda long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm just an innocent(ish) bystander to this one! (kinda long)

So, reading through some of the threads reminded me, for some reason, of an incident that happened with my ex-roommate and the manager of our apartment complex.

Bit of background: I lived with this person, whom we shall refer to as R for the rest of this post for about a year, in which I discovered R was rather shallow, self-absorbed, and felt that if no one told her how wonderful she was, and gave her everything she wanted at least 100 times a day, then no one loved her, and she'd mope, pout, or rant, depending on the situation. In other words, a classic SC, who always "Shows people who's boss" in any given situation that isn't perfect for her. And I lived with her. For a YEAR. I moved into my own apartment in the complex after that and relish the solitude.

Anyhoo. R also has a nasty tendency to spend money whenever she feels like it because "she deserves it" and "she needs to treat herself right". I think that's enough background about R.

Now, in the situation at hand, R has discovered she cannot pay her rent because her newest obsession with fishies and buying new fishies and tanks and food and supplies and rocks, etc, has for some reason, eaten a hole in her bank account. (go figure...) So, she goes to talk to the assistant manager (AM) in the leasing office, and asked if the late fees she accrued would be waived (If you're late on rent here, it's $75 the first day, and $10 everyday after that until the 15th, then your locks are changed - all of which is explained in the lease)

She had had the fees waived ONCE before because the higher ups in the corporate office (who owns a chain of apartment buildings around the city) said, "Ok, just this once because you've never had a late payment before" R thought this meant if she asked nicely, it'd happen again. She was told no. She asked if maybe the $10/day fees at least, could be waived. And was told no.

R huffily said she wanted to talk to the manager of the leasing office (LM) and was told she'd be in the next day.

No AM had told LM what had occurred, and I had just happened to be there that day, giving LM a check for my utilities that were coming due. The ensuing conversation astounded and amazed even ME, who's been in retail since it was legal for me to have a job (And even a bit before that!)

Me: (The innocent bystander)
    LM: Leasing manager
    R: my SC Ex-roomie

R: LM! I need to talk to you about--

LM: (Cuts her off) R, I already talked to AM, and I'm sorry, there's nothing I can do for you.

R: But the fees were waived once before!

LM: Yes, and you were told it was a one time deal, I'm sorry, you have to pay us the remainder of your rent, and the late fees that you owe.

R: But I'm broke! (She bursts into tears at this point!) What am I supposed to do? I'm trying to sell some of my stuff on eBay, but haven't had any bids!

LM: (Knowing R complains about having too much stuff, and not enough space in her apartment) Well, why don't you have a garage sell? It'd benefit you in a lot of ways. You'd make more room in your apartment to move around, and you'd make some money.

R: But...I like my stuff. I LOVE my stuff! I don't want to sell it!

Me: (Thinking, "but wasn't she trying to sell it on eBay?" But wisely staying silent. Can't leave because i don't have a receipt for my check yet!)

R: I'm trying to sell my wedding rings, do you know anyone who wants to buy them?

LM: I don't know, your best bet might be to pawn them.

R: But they wouldn't get a good enough price!

LM: (Looks baffled at what else she can say)

R: Ok, fine! (She whips out her checkbook) I'll write you a check, even though I don't have the money to cover it!

LM:

Me (Still staying quiet)

LM: R...I can't take a check, knowing it will bounce. It's kind of illegal.

R: But AFTER it bounces, my bank will cover it, and then just charge me a fee! I have overdraft protection!

LM: I still can't take this check!

And so they argue back and forth some more, ending with R storming out angry, and me begging for my receipt so I can hide in my apartment before she comes back to drag me off and moan about the unfairness of it all in my ear again.

I mean seriously, who DOES that!? Knowingly offers what's going to be a hot check, and expects it to be taken with a smile!? Um, NO!

So, yes, my ex-roomie, the SC, and the reason I now live alone. Sorry this was so long, but yes, had to get it out. She's been calling me the last few days wanting to "hang out" (read: Beg to borrow money and try to guilt me into helping ehr clean her apartment.)

Man I can't stand people like that. Luckily, I have had decent roomies for the most part. Lots of my friends have not, however.
    When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

Comment

You must have some sort of amazing patience to have dealt with living with her. Congrats on being roomate free!
      "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

Comment

Welcome to my hell, at the storage job.
        Under The Moon Paranormal Research
        San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Sounds like you lived with my current roommate's twin sister. This guy had our electricity cut off because he never bothered to pay at least three months worth of bills. Then he had the nerve to ask me to pay ALL the late fees, despite the fact that I had given him money for bills on time every month. I have only a month and half until our lease lets up and I can get as far away from him as possible.
          "I don't have to take this abuse from you, I've got hundreds of people dying to abuse me."
          "Free at last from my vegetable prison!"
          X-Strike Studios: Video game movies done RIGHT!

Comment

Quoth Shangri-laschild View Post
            You must have some sort of amazing patience to have dealt with living with her. Congrats on being roomate free!
            Actually, what it boiled down to, was I payed for 1/3 of the rent and utilities (lived with her and her then hubby) and got to use...wait for it...1 bedroom. In the kitchen (Which I cleaned ALL the time because dear GODS were they nasty!) I had one shelf in the pantry, and the veg bin "allotted" to me. Oh, I also had to label ALL of my food, else hubby would eat it. (He ate EVERYTHING in sight. I made 2 dozen muffins one night, and had 1 left the next morning when I got up and went to nuke them for breakfast!)

Now, mind you, we had 2 bathrooms, one was mine, one was theirs. I said they could keep the cat box in mine, sure why not. But she never cleaned it because she hated the smell. So if I wanted a nice smelling bathroom, I had to clean the litter.

THEN she decides she doesn't like hubby waking her up in the morning when he showers, and there was no room for his shampoo and soap because of all of her crap, so all of his stuff migrated into MY bathroom, and I had hair in the sink from when he shaved, clogged toilets and a grimy shower stall, on top of cat box stink.

I started asking about a 1 bedroom fairly quickly after that. ..solitary living = BLISS!!!

Comment

OK, with the exception of the roommate who stole my X-Box (which I didn't like anyway.... hey I'm a Sony guy) I've not had bad experiences with roommates... almost always had them pay on time, almost always cleaned up after themselves... I've done the without roommates for short periods... and it is actually rather boring and lonely I think...
              Granted not lonely enough to ever make me consider moving on campus again... communal showers suck (as much as I love having to step out into an open area naked...)
              If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth lupo pazzesco View Post
                Actually, what it boiled down to, was I payed for 1/3 of the rent and utilities (lived with her and her then hubby) and got to use...wait for it...1 bedroom. In the kitchen (Which I cleaned ALL the time because dear GODS were they nasty!) I had one shelf in the pantry, and the veg bin "allotted" to me. Oh, I also had to label ALL of my food, else hubby would eat it. (He ate EVERYTHING in sight. I made 2 dozen muffins one night, and had 1 left the next morning when I got up and went to nuke them for breakfast!)

I had a roommate like that. My mother kindly bought me two boxes of my favorite granola bars which are expensive and I couldn't afford to buy myself as I was on the ramen-and-pb&j diet at the time.

The next morning I went to get one.

Both brand new boxes had been opened and finished completely, and the empty boxes were LEFT SITTING ON THE SHELF TO TAUNT ME.

He even ate my leftovers from restaurants if I left them alone too long! He didn't buy food the entire first two months I lived with him, until I finally ate out for every meal from the dollar menu at Mickey D's until there was no food at all in the house... then he angrily and with much complaint to his friends about how there was no food in the house bought mayonnaise, relish, and tuna, and bread.
                My basic dog food advice - send a pm if you need more.

Saydrah's leaving the nest advice + packing list live here.

Comment

Quoth Saydrah View Post
                  I had a roommate like that. My mother kindly bought me two boxes of my favorite granola bars which are expensive and I couldn't afford to buy myself as I was on the ramen-and-pb&j diet at the time.

The next morning I went to get one.

Both brand new boxes had been opened and finished completely, and the empty boxes were LEFT SITTING ON THE SHELF TO TAUNT ME.

He even ate my leftovers from restaurants if I left them alone too long! He didn't buy food the entire first two months I lived with him, until I finally ate out for every meal from the dollar menu at Mickey D's until there was no food at all in the house... then he angrily and with much complaint to his friends about how there was no food in the house bought mayonnaise, relish, and tuna, and bread.
                  And then while he was gone you ate it all?
                  GFY

Comment

Quoth Saydrah View Post
                    ohh tuna salad

Comment

Working...
                    X