This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I help you anyways?

I got this call from a real smart cookie today. The poor thing is lost and wants the nearest hotel to her.

Me: Guess who.
    LL: Lost Lady

Me: Good afternoon, thank you for calling <hotel>, this is EQ, how can I help you?
    LL: I’m trying to find your location, can you help me?
    Me: Sure, just tell me where you are now.
    LL: I’m on <Street>
    Me: Okay, give me one moment to find you.
    [search google maps]
    Me: Ma’am, according to this you’re in <direction of city>, if you like, I can give you a number to <affiliate hotel> since it’s closer to your location. Otherwise you’re 20 miles from our location.
    LL: I’m just looking for the closest hotel to where I’m at now.
    Me: I can help you with that too.
    LL: No, it’s okay. Thank you.
    *Click*

eh?!

Yes, fuck you very much and have a nice day.
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

a few things on this post
    1st. thank you for saying that you have to use google maps too... I can't stand the people who go spanish inquisition over whether i'm telling the truth about being in house or not when I say "let me check my map" (i'm not lieing when I say I'm in house... contractually I am even if physically I'm not)
    2nd. I get that all the time, people calling into one hotel then getting pissy when you tell them that really that isn't where they want they want (insert hotel not even close... speaking of which... how do people confuse "on the bay" with "mission bay"... and how is it that people will still call asking for a hotel that closed 3 months ago)
    3rd. in no way related to the OP, but why will people call into a hotel in san diego to ask about what hotels are near the salt lake airport (i've seriously had that happen before).
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Off all the map systems out there, Google Maps has the less errors and I travel a LOT. I've used a lot of other mapping systems but forget it, so far Google Maps is still better.
      Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
      3rd. in no way related to the OP, but why will people call into a hotel in san diego to ask about what hotels are near the salt lake airport (i've seriously had that happen before).
      It is related because I've had that happen too!
      I once got this call from some lady in Florida looking for hotels or B&Bs in CT. Why did she bother asking me? Because her relatives in the same town said to just call one of their local hotels and find out! Supposedly all hotels use the same computer system. Boy, was she pissed when I told her I couldn't help her.
      Last edited by Evil Queen; 03-19-2008, 04:00 PM.
      Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

I love Google Maps.

I just with that Java and Firefox got along better and I could actually use Google Maps with Firefox on any of my computers.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Google Maps works great for me, and I also travel alot. Only once has it messed up for me. And when it did, it lead me about 3 blocks west, than what I needed.
          Under The Moon Paranormal Research
          San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

I love google maps. The biggest screw up it gave me was when it sent me down one street farther than i needed, but that street looped back to the street I need to go on.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
              I love Google Maps.

I just with that Java and Firefox got along better and I could actually use Google Maps with Firefox on any of my computers.

^-.-^
              Google Maps does not use java.

Comment

Reminds me of a male caller I had over the Valentines Day week at the national florist I work at. He's calling our corporate call center and starts giving me directions to deliver flowers to his sig-o. Doesn't know his home address but can tell me that the florist has to turn off the main highway onto the dirt road and go six miles till he gets to the collapsed barn and take the sixteenth dirt driveway, go another six miles and hang a right at dog chained to the rusted out tractor. Spent way too much time explaining to the idiot that without a legal addy I can't take the order or charge his credit card. He said, "Credit card? I ain't got one of them. I wuz just going to pay you cash.."

Me "Sir, you're ordering flowers by phone you need to have a way to pay for them.." like what did he think he was going to do, shove the bills into the receiver of the telephone??
                "No, I will not poop a shopping cart out for you." - Irving Patrick Freleigh

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post

It is related because I've had that happen too!
                  I once got this call from some lady in Florida looking for hotels or B&Bs in CT. Why did she bother asking me? Because her relatives in the same town said to just call one of their local hotels and find out! Supposedly all hotels use the same computer system. Boy, was she pissed when I told her I couldn't help her.
                  in all fairness... some chains are like that... my company uses a universal system so it is theoretically possible for one to book another hotel if the know how to use the software and know the hotel code (think wrath of kahn when kirk enters the ships control code to deactivate the other ships shields... same concept to bring up a hotels inventory you need to have the hotel's holidex code... in central we have software that finds that code for us if we don't know it already... but the hotels don't have that software... that I know of)
                  If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Google maps is way better than MapQuest, but they both do something that is really annoying. I live within spittin' distance of the intersection of Coors and Alameda (I'm one block north of Alameda). However, every time I pull up something where I have to go up Alameda, both will have me turn right out of my complex and go around the block instead of left, which is maybe 1/10th of a mile to one of the streets. Something tells me that nobody has bothered to clue in either service that Coors turns into Corrales at Alameda and that Alameda and NM 528 are the same road.
                    It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                      Google maps is way better than MapQuest, but they both do something that is really annoying. I live within spittin' distance of the intersection of Coors and Alameda (I'm one block north of Alameda). However, every time I pull up something where I have to go up Alameda, both will have me turn right out of my complex and go around the block instead of left, which is maybe 1/10th of a mile to one of the streets. Something tells me that nobody has bothered to clue in either service that Coors turns into Corrales at Alameda and that Alameda and NM 528 are the same road.
                      I like Google Maps.

I also have Google Earth. I enjoy taking virtual road trips with Google Earth....
                      Know why it's called the American "Dream"? 'Cause you have to be asleep to believe it! --George Carlin

Comment

I'm a concierge, so I use Google maps almost every day. I've found them to be pretty reliable, except that it insistson putting a u-turn in every direction! It seems to hate to tell people to make a left turn, lol.

Comment

I never use map program directions.

I am accomplished at the reading of a map, and so I give directions based on the map itself, rather than some computerized mapping program that may or may not choose the most direct route.

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

There used to be a road near my home that was only about 200 feet long. The city removed it in 2001. Every online map and GPS I've seen insists I take it anyway. Fortunately, living here long enough and not being a complete idiot mean that I don't need the part of the directions that tell me how to find the interstate
                            Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

I love GM becuase of the "satallite" option, and streetview in certain areas. Since a good portion of my job is giving directions and finding people who insist that they have no fraking clue where they are it helps to pull up the area and ask about buildings, parks, bodies of water, treelines, etc.
                              The directions aren't always 100%, but after working with that and MS streets (both use Navteq maps, I beleive mapquest does as well) you get a feel of what to look for and how. I didn't know how much crap was stored in my head about how the US hwy/Interstate system worked until I took a road trip with my brother, without a map, and kept us from getting lost a half-dozen times
                              "Ride the spiral to the end, it may just go where no one's been. Spiral out, keep going..." -Lateralus

Comment

Working...
                              X