This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My grandmother does NOT own a bakery.

My mom and I have been cleaning up my grandmother's kitchen and back porch since we needed to make room to have the kitchen floor redone, and she was also getting a new refrigerator and stove.

My grandmother got it in her head that the best place to store spices was in the fridge, so she had literally 2-3 trash bags full of spices from the fridge (my mom went through and sorted them, discarding the expired product).

Her freezer we referred to as "the Freezer of Death" because every time you opened the door, something would fall out. The kitchen fridge was also "thoroughly stocked". As is the back porch one. And its freezer. As is the fridge-sized freezer in the basement. As it has been since well before my grandfather passed on (7 years ago).

On the back porch we found at least 200lbs of flour (probably more), 150lbs of sugar (probably more), 2 crock pots (one still unopened in the box), 25 bags of chocolate chips (so old they had turned to powder), and a bag of "Ant Poison" near some food items.

My mom had said a few times "shoot me now". I think she's getting a little exasperated.

SC
    "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Wow my Grandfather has the exact opposite of this. You can't find any food or ingredients in his house, I think the most he has in his fridge and freezer is half and half, butter, and a container of ice cream. Pantry has popcorn, coffee and tea. He refuses to go shopping, unless he is out of one of the things I listed, only wants to eat out cause he doesn't think he can cook. Anytime you plan on making him a meal there you have to make sure to bring everything you need including spices, because you are so out of luck at his place.

*note cause I feel like a horrible granddaughter* He does eat well, even if it is at a Chinese buffet every freakin day (ugh). Also I make meals for him weekly and force them on him, and taught him how to use a microwave. He just downright refuses to even try to cook something himself, seriously not even a hot dog in a pan, he knows how to, but he won't do it. *slams head on table*
    I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

Whoa! Is she just in the habit of always buying and forgetting what she already has?

My mom is like that sometimes, but not even close to being like your grandmother

Were they items she used to use a lot before her husband died and now doesn't really do anything with it?

Comment

I don't mean to sound unkind, but it sounds a bit like hoarding, but with food. Or does your grandma have a bit of dementia? Well, the overstocked fridge is something a lot of people do, but the flour and sugar perplex me. I wouldn't even know where to buy a batch that big.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

First of all, this was a problem for my grandfather. It annoyed him to no end.

Second, according to my mom this has been going on since she was little.

Third, as my grandmother is 83, she is currently getting more confused and forgetful. But up to about 2-3 years ago she had a mind like a steel trap. Numerous bags of these products were between 5 and 20 years old.

SC
          "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
            I wouldn't even know where to buy a batch that big.
            Just like Johnny Cash: One sack at a time. We've got a 57-58-59-60-61-62-63-64 loaf-a-bread here.

My grandmother would keep the outdated spices from the store she ran as part of Pond's Lodge. 20 year old cinnamon is industinguishable from sawdust.
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth BroSCFischer View Post
              Her freezer we referred to as "the Freezer of Death" because every time you opened the door, something would fall out.SC
              Oh, you have one of those, too.

Both of our freezers-- the one in the kitchen and the one we keep in the garage-- can be like that. We've learned to open it carefully and have a hand ready to catch something and pull our feet out of the way of ballistic frozen meats.
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

just curious, but did your grandmother live through the Depression? I ask simply because my grandmother on my dad's side does similar, she's got stuff out in the freezer/fridge out in the barn that probably should be thrown out, but it ain't happening.

I stayed with her for a week during the aftermath of Hurricane Ike & I remember us going to the grocery store & she was APPALLED to learn that the employees had thrown out the frozen foods & proceeded to protest, LOUDLY, I might add.

I tried telling her that they couldn't very well sell that stuff being's that the power had been out but she wouldn't have any of it. At that point I was inwardly chanting 'I don't know this woman, I am not related to her, Jesus give me strength etc'

"Much butthurt I sense in you, cry like a bitch you should"

Comment

Quoth CorneliaMarieRocks View Post
                  just curious, but did your grandmother live through the Depression?
                  She was born in 1928, so yeah. But so did my grandfather (who was immensely annoyed by this habit).

He actually banned her from buying more yarn (ie: non-food item) at one point, because she had a steamer trunk full of it.

Every single drawer she has is stuffed to the gills with junk. Sometimes it is just the empty packaging from the items she bought.

SC

Comment

Sounds like she has had some hoarder tendencies for a long time and your grandfather used to keep them somewhat in check but now that he is gone and she her mind isn't quite as sharp as it used to be those tendencies are getting a little out of control. It is good that you all are doing a purge so that she can have a fresh start and will make it easier for you guys to monitor if/when it starts getting out of hand again.

It may also be time to think about trying to see if you can get rid of one or more of those places to store food (a woman living on her own doesn't really need two full sized fridges and a full sized freezer), if she has the fridge on the porch for easy access to stuff while she is on the porch, like grabbing a cold drink or snack while she is on the porch, then maybe see about getting a mini-fridge. After all a lot of people like that tend to think that they don't have enough or are not prepared if they have any unused storage space, if you cut down on the available storage sometimes it helps them to realize they need less (this goes for food as well as non-perishable items).

Comment

Working...
                    X