This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Listen, Gorrammit!

BG: At The Client, we have a self-service site set up on our internal network to help users reset their IM password. The site address starts with https://

A lot of users set up their IM to automatically log them in, or to remember their password, so when it suddenly doesn't do it anymore, they usually forget what their password is. [/BG]

Luser: My IM won't load up right. It's asking for a password, and I can't for the life of me remember what it is.

J2K: No problem. So there's a self-service site where you can reset that password.

Luser: Okay!

J2K: The web address is h-t-t-p-s-colon-forward slash-forward slash-[blah].

Luser: h-t-p-p--

J2K: No, h-t-t-p-s. Colon-forward slash-forward slash-[blah].

Luser: Okay, so that was h-t-p-p?

J2K: No. Hotel-Tango-Tango-Papa-Sierra.

Luser: [typing] Hotel-Tango-Papa-Papa--

J2K: NO. Hotel. Tango. Tango. Papa. Sierra.

Luser: Oh, okay. Hotel-tango-tango-papa-sierra...

She got it from there, but I made sure to enunciate more clearly after the first bit of confusion, and I switched to the NATO Phonetic Alphabet to make it more clear. And she STILL got it wrong.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

As someone with a hearing loss, I can tell you that T versus P spells PITA, especially over a phone line. S and F are almost as bad.

Recurring gripe, because it happened over the weekend: I'm trying to get someone's name right, and on the second or third try with the person, someone decides to "help" by talking over them from behind me, thus making damn sure I won't hear what the person in front of me is saying.

Comment

Quoth Mental_Mouse View Post
      As someone with a hearing loss, I can tell you that T versus P spells PITA, especially over a phone line. S and F are almost as bad.
      I'm well aware of how close certain letters sound. T and P, B and D, M and N, and yes, S and F.

That's one reason I switched to phonetic alphabet. But "Tango" and "Papa" sound NOTHING alike.
      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

Comment

At this point, you might want to use tinyurl or some similar service to create an easier-to-pass link.

Or email/text people links.

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
          At this point, you might want to use tinyurl or some similar service to create an easier-to-pass link.

Or email/text people links.
          This is on a secure network, so tinyurl is not an option. And the link is just something like https://servicepassword.blah. It's not complicated.

And I'm leery about sending the link via email, because I've had users retain my email address and try to bypass our queue by just emailing me when they have future problems.

Comment

What I don't get is, has this person never seen https on anything before?? I don't see how you can miss it!
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Listen? Why would they listen when they refuse to read?
              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                What I don't get is, has this person never seen https on anything before?? I don't see how you can miss it!
                Why would they pay attention to something that's clearly beyond their understanding?
                This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Working...
                X