This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great crime scene work.

This had to due with a customer, but wasn't actually them. This was just the best place I could put it.

Back on Halloween we had a gentleman in town who's home was broken into. He was severely beaten and set on fire. No suspects were ever found. Fast forward to this week. Upon finally being released from the hospital, he was staying here as per police departments orders, as his house was not livable after the fire and they did not know if he was still in danger.

I spoke to him for a few minutes on my way into work on Sunday. Turns out I was the last person to see him alive. Monday, when the police came to talk to him about the case, he didn't answer the door. Had my fix it guy come cut the chain on the door. Turns out he had either died of natural causes or suicide. But the police, none the less, got a search warrant as they were still looking for leads in connection to the Halloween events.

The North Carolina SBI came in and processed the scene. They released the room and said that we were clear to clean the room. My co manager and I go into the room to begin the process of tossing out the linens, mattress, etc. I turn around to grab the pillows off the dresser where they had been and I see something.

Reach my hand into the pillowcase and pull out the guests wallet and 5000 in cash. I am floored that the state crime investigators managed to miss this.

We do the right thing and turn the money over to the police, but the man did not have family that they know of so if no family claims it, CM and I get it back to split.
    Never underestimate the power of human stupidity. ~ Robert Heinlein

What a sad story.
    And my mind boggles at that much cash. The most I've ever had on me at once was $500 and I was more then paranoid.
    Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
    Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Whatever you do with the money, make sure it's worth every penny. I'm a big believer in things happening for a reason and this seems like one of those things.

Comment

Oh my, I'm so sorry
        Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
        What's the difference?
        We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

That poor man.
          Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

set on fire?

There is no emoticon that can express the horror that brings.
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Yeah, he was a really nice old man. I don't know what would go through someone's head to do this to someone. He was in his 60's and battling cancer on top of it all.
              Never underestimate the power of human stupidity. ~ Robert Heinlein

Comment

That poor man. He must have suffered so much

Comment

It's possible that he hid it for you to find. It could have been his way of saying thank you for everything.

Comment

Unbelievable. Pure evil. I just cannot understand how someone could do that!
                    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

What a sad story.

Comment

Quoth Carina16 View Post
                        Reach my hand into the pillowcase and pull out the guests wallet and 5000 in cash. I am floored that the state crime investigators managed to miss this.

We do the right thing and turn the money over to the police, but the man did not have family that they know of so if no family claims it, CM and I get it back to split.
                        Don't bank on it. The police may decide to use the asset forfieture laws and keep it.

It's happened before.

Comment

and my own suggestion... if you do get to keep the money, i think spending some of it on his funeral arrangements would be very polite - good karma and all.

Comment

Working...
                          X